why i wild

Your pictures make a very good point Ken. The last one does look desperate. Although probably necessary. Somethings have to be got rid of.? I’m going to be a few weeks behind you, and taking my brave pills for wilding ?
Reckon I’m going to use the New Haven - Dieppe route . That will get me a bit further south for little extra money .
Stay safe

Many years ago before I learned some sense we would hire a chalet, or a fixed caravan or something so we could take the dogs with us.

Buying our first MH meant we could go to all sorts of places, and I joined the CC and used sites when we went all over

When I learned some sense (yes it took a while) we started to go places and just stop wherever. Then I realised I needed solar and batteries and LEDs and so on and so forth.

Being a member of a couple of MH forums helped me develop a bit more sense and I’m now more confident of just going wherever, whenever and stopping when I want - preferably away from other people, not that I’m unsocial it’s just I want to be alone. We will still use paying Aires in France on occasion, sometimes for the facilities and sometimes simply because they suit us right then. I’ve got plenty of pics like Ken above showing just how nice it can all be, here’s just a couple

F92642C6-9B73-4F89-9EBB-03C3377CD150.jpegF508ADB7-59DB-4DE2-AF49-2046167B6D46.jpeg29097D3D-2C31-4119-ACB2-4045D84088FC.jpeg8C450EE8-496B-483D-BD9D-2AB4247DC0A6.jpegF99A6517-491D-4351-9EAD-5F8943B8A459.jpegE65F02D1-71B9-4B18-B445-287E4B1891AD.jpeg43CC8DC1-FFD4-4E8C-B462-2E204A32F592.jpeg

I think campsites are typically predictable - rarely nice surprises. Aires and the like are less predictable with some nice surprises, often the location and the accessibility to interesting places. Likewise car parks which are less predictable – you never know what or who is going to turn up! True wild camping, where you just pull off the road into a wood or down a random track, has a nice edge to it – what will happen, what will we find, what will be the view in the morning when it gets light?

It’s like a box of chocolates lol. I like to be spontaneous so Campsite’s don’t work too well for me as I would want to be able to just pull over and sites have to be booked before tea time.

You can find some gems around, just had 8 days off grid, the majority cut off apart from a few 4x4’s

9522086F-B5A9-4A18-B70E-A5955F83AC78.jpegCB10D139-FDF8-4FB9-BF01-8E6E47419F30.jpeg2A9A1452-F280-4071-BE65-528644FA7166.jpeg8FF660B7-0932-41B2-AAFC-AFEC792958DB.jpeg5ACFD6FB-9A50-40B4-AA23-55D5811C5314.jpegFFCBB549-D648-4EF8-AB76-88306579CE9A.jpeg23177E13-D961-431C-95D3-857065C8D81F.jpeg53D32F32-EAB8-47D6-ABC5-B1F7AB8250D2.jpeg827E8FC5-24A6-4D23-8830-7E678EE5B037.jpeg

Eight days off grid? That’s one way of saying it. I’ll add nothing else. Apart from, I’m glad I left before I got snowed in.
Having said that, the spot Nabs wilded in was idyllic.

Wully - I've got that here on Bute !!
Without the heat mind you :cry:

Have another look I bet there’s nae coconuts but there’s tins of spam hanging from them that’s a glesga spam tree you’re looking at if it’s in Rothesay ?

The most amazing Wild camping experience I had was on one of our French tour.

It was getting towards late afternoon and I was bushed from doing too much driving that day, this also meant that our beloved dogs had been a bit neglected so we took to a side road and then took to a smaller side road with grass growing out of the middle and then we saw a track going off to one side, so we turned into it and stopped on a flat piece of concrete on which to one side was a large mesh construction that we knew was where the farmers would store their maze crop.

So, as there was nothing in sight we thought we might as well stop there and duly took our 3 Springers for a good walk.

On our return to 'Millie'almost out of nowhere arrived a fat friendly local along with his hunting Breton Spaniels, then a lad turned up in a very old and battered Toyota 4x4 with his dogs in the back and on it carried on, eventually there must have been at least 12 cars & vans all of which had friendly folk inside along with their various dogs.................... So as we had a plentiful supply of wine in boxes on board we all sat around until well into the night chewing over the fat of friendly French life. It was one of those totally impromptu magical moments of life!

Your pictures make a very good point Ken. The last one does look desperate. Although probably necessary. Somethings have to be got rid of.? I’m going to be a few weeks behind you, and taking my brave pills for wilding ?
Reckon I’m going to use the New Haven - Dieppe route . That will get me a bit further south for little extra money .
Stay safe

Newhaven-Dieppe is a good bet, my preferred. 4 Hours of ferry instead of an extra hour or two of driving each side of whatever Dover-Calais is, and far, far less hassle.

Newhaven-Dieppe is a good bet, my preferred. 4 Hours of ferry instead of an extra hour or two of driving each side of whatever Dover-Calais is, and far, far less hassle.
When not using the Tunnel like we normally do because of the dogs, I always will use the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry as it is so relaxing and with (normally) a good level of food quality in the restaurant.
The biggest bonus though for me when considering this route is the distinct lack of the brainless day tripping idiots and screaming crazy kids that oh so sadly frequent the Dover - Calais and Dover - Dunkerque routes, with these kids having absolutely no consideration for other travellers trying to have a rest before starting their long slog south.

When not using the Tunnel like we normally do because of the dogs, I always will use the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry as it is so relaxing and with (normally) a good level of food quality in the restaurant.
The biggest bonus though for me when considering this route is the distinct lack of the brainless day tripping idiots and screaming crazy kids that oh so sadly frequent the Dover - Calais and Dover - Dunkerque routes, with these kids having absolutely no consideration for other travellers trying to have a rest before starting their long slog south.

Agreed - it's a nice quiet journey.

I’m doing something right then? Pretty unusual for me. Thanks for the encouragement.
If you have a preferred route into Spain , I’ll be happy to know it. Other wise I’ll follow the (modified) , Long Road South, I posted elsewhere.
All this is still over three weeks away. I know it’s a sin but, I’m starting to wish my life away. Bad, very bad ?

of course newhaven dieppe also has the 20% old fogey discount if you phone up

But it's a premium rate number to ring....

We are doing Portsmouth to Caen which sort of breaks even with fuel costs

[QUOTE="Linda, post: 88675, member: 19"]But it's a premium rate number to ring....

We are doing Portsmouth to Caen which sort of breaks even with fuel costs[/QUOTE]

Try Say no to 0870 often there’s an equivalent non-premium number.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back