Winter time

Good point. Maybe not the ideal then. Back to the old “watch the forecast and drain if worried” technique then. Hey Ho.
How about adding some salt, Salty water shouldn't freeze you could work out the mix by trying some in your freezer

So I spend some time digging around looking at numerous websites and agonising over what to do for the best and then someone comes long with the crushing logic and simplicity of adding some salt...... Doh.

How about adding some salt, Salty water shouldn't freeze you could work out the mix by trying some in your freezer
Salty water does freeze, I have encountered it numerous times when wildfowling on the solway Firth.
This was the Isle of White a few years ago -

Attachments

• F1A2D89A-D32E-4D68-AF88-EEEA74F29893.jpeg
    F1A2D89A-D32E-4D68-AF88-EEEA74F29893.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 4
I have also experienced sea freezes in Strangford Lough, an almost enclosed sea Lough with river estuaries which can freeze. On a rocky shore the beach becomes quite a sight as when the tide drops the ice sheet buckles to the underlying shape of the ground. It rises again on the flood and becomes more distorted as each ebb tide further distorts the ice sheet.

However I wonder if salt introduced into a fresh water system would be detrimental to pipes, taps and other fittings.

Davy

I have also experienced sea freezes in Strangford Lough, an almost enclosed sea Lough with river estuaries which can freeze. On a rocky shore the beach becomes quite a sight as when the tide drops the ice sheet buckles to the underlying shape of the ground. It rises again on the flood and becomes more distorted as each ebb tide further distorts the ice sheet.

However I wonder if salt introduced into a fresh water system would be detrimental to pipes, taps and other
Salt water is abrasive if it has crystals of undissolved salt in it.
It would damage all working parts seals pump.boiler.

Reactions: RCW
OK so now we have gone full circle. Let’s start again and try to find how people prevent the loo flush water from freezing. The candidates so far are:

A small amount of the non toxic antifreeze disposed into the mains sewerage system. It would seem that the consensus is the amount involved would not present a problem to the sewage purification plants.

Adding a salt solution comes a poor second with poor antifreeze properties and possible damage by undissolved crystals.

Any further suggestions that do not include medical procedures on myself? I cannot believe this is the first time this problem has been raised?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back