Winter

Fazerloz;n2541 said:
I drain only if the forecast is bellow freezing as it is no hardship at home to refill. As said there is always bottled water.

I use mainly bottled water for drinking cooking I only use the tank water for showering and washing hands and pots so it would be no hardship to go away for a few days with an empty tank.

If I am not going to be using it I drain down and remove the fuse for the pump then open all taps in the mid position frozen 1.jpgfrozen 2.jpgfrozen.jpg

Campervanannie;n2543 said:
I use mainly bottled water for drinking cooking I only use the tank water for showering and washing hands and pots so it would be no hardship to go away for a few days with an empty tank.

Any reason why ?
Has someone been peeing in your water tank

Banned member;n2591 said:
Any reason why ?
Has someone been peeing in your water tank

Because someone else has owned this van for 13 years and they may have been peeing in the water tank lol

Lol how old is the pipe work in most houses ?
I always sterilise the tank on any motorhome we buy and then about once a year after that , we drink water from the tank.

A when I bought it the guy said they had flushed and cleaned the entire water system plus a lot of it is that I like Yorkshire water it doesn't have that horrid scum that makes your tea and coffee taste sh!te .

Campervanannie;n2543 said:

Exactly what I do.......except I don't have a shower.

Allen;n2635 said:
Exactly what I do.......except I don't have a shower.

This is my first van with a proper shower so I could live without it for a few winter days.

Campervanannie;n2293 said:
Loving the avatar lol

Me too!!

Colin (Smiley face, Smiley face, Smiley face)

This time of the year I drain the hot and cold water system, leave taps open (mixer taps in mid way position so hot and cold pipework is vented) and for the first time this year I'm using a thermostatically controlled convector heater that I had laying around which maintains a minimum temperature of about 9°C. In past winters I've had small mould patches form on the ceiling (probably due to condensation) which were a real pain to remove. Here's hoping this spring the moho will be mould free.

well icarry small oil fired rad with me just case i out and have hook up survived minus 12 with no heating

Full Member;n2673 said:
This time of the year I drain the hot and cold water system, leave taps open (mixer taps in mid way position so hot and cold pipework is vented) and for the first time this year I'm using a thermostatically controlled convector heater that I had laying around which maintains a minimum temperature of about 9°C. In past winters I've had small mould patches form on the ceiling (probably due to condensation) which were a real pain to remove. Here's hoping this spring the moho will be mould free.

Colin I have to ask your don't normally do the graveyard shift on the forums are you having trouble sleeping.

Campervanannie;n2675 said:
Colin I have to ask your don't normally do the graveyard shift on the forums are you having trouble sleeping.

I'm off to the sunshine this weekend and am SO looking forward to it that my sleep pattern is disrupted. On a positive note it's alerted me to just how many night owls we have!

Only ever drained the water down once and that was to replace the washer on the drain valve. We use the van all year round, when it’s not in use I put the water heater on if it starts getting cold, this also warms the onboard fresh water tank a little, though I doubt 120 litres of water would freeze in our winters.
But, we are back in the UK for Christmas and leaving the van at home, so all water will be drained out, cupboards opened but no heating on.

I always drain down , the hot water tank drops the water at 3 degrees . Why risk it ?.

Molly 3;n3172 said:
I always drain down , the hot water tank drops the water at 3 degrees . Why risk it ?.

Sound advice Barry I will drain it down after Bugsworth until the new year meet.

I drain everything down and leave taps open in midway position. Lower shower hose to tray as well. Also empty cassette flush tank which fills from outside. This can hold up to 20 litres of water.

Another thing to consider is full water bottles coke and beer stored in external lockers or garage.

Once had a case of beer in garage and a few were split open - had to drink the rest just to be sure they were alright.:rolleyes:

It only takes around 30 minutes to refill and flush through.

Have also taken seat cushions and clothing into house as we are expecting more cold weather. Usually in Spain at this time so a bit more effort this year.

Cheers,
Alan

As we use the bus in winter we never drain it. Just hook up and leave on frost stat.
The bus is parked in sw France and usually the winters are short and mild. Typically frosts start mid to late december .
all our tanks and pipes are heated . We are often in -20 degrees and have no issues. So in our relatively mild winter we just hook up and are ready to go whenever.

On the basis of belt and braces I drain water every time I leave my van standing at home during the Winter, and also have a small fan heater set to keep the temperature above freezing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back