Winter

The point is it's going to be the very small bits of trapped water that are most at risk of freezing. To this end after thoroughly draining the system I also remove the pump. I take it indoors give it a good shake to dislodge any small pockets of water and then stand the pump close to a heat source (radiator etc) for a couple of days to make sure it's really dry inside. It's then reinstalled in the van ready for the next outing.

I can't get to my pump as it way at the back under the cooker. I have drained everything else and use bottled water.
I use mine all year.
I have left the shower head in the shower tray and left all the taps at Midway position. Does the toilet flush drain as well? It's from the main tank not a separate one?
I also have left the boiler Drain Tap open, should I close it?

Ffion;n9959 said:
I can't get to my pump as it way at the back under the cooker. I have drained everything else and use bottled water.
I use mine all year.
I have left the shower head in the shower tray and left all the taps at Midway position. Does the toilet flush drain as well? It's from the main tank not a separate one?

The boiler drain will only open automatically if the temperature drops to around 3°c so just leave it open. But remember to close it it before refilling with water. If the temperature is too cold for the drain valve to stay closed then use the heating to warm the boiler and surroundings. Alternatively use a clothes peg, but remember to remove it when the temperature allows it.

having suffered split pipes on our previous m/h due to my laxity in draining down, I now make sure we drain down if the m/h isn't being used for a few weeks - it doesn't take that long to refill and pressurise. if it's very very cold, I'll stick a heater on but find that's usually not necessary in Sussex.

I drain down the water heater in winter. We leave the MH for 2 weeks at a time between trips. The previous owner obviously didn't drain down as we found to our cost in Krakow 2 summers ago after finding that it had been leaking for a while on that trip and all our spare bedding was wet and starting to go mouldy! When we got to Prague we had to spend a day getting it fixed!
grumpy.gif

In terms of the fresh water tank, I have it cleansed once a year so am not too worried about drinking it tbh... Mrs GMJ doesnt but as she has MS she is susceptible and prone to illness so we use fresh water from a container usually for drinking.

Graham
smile.gif

Ffion;n9959 said:
I use mine all year.

If toilet flush is from main tank, then it should drain down OK. I'ts only if it has a separate tank. The level tube pulls off from the top beside the filler.

Our last van was main tank fed and no problems.

Cheers,
Alan

Ok gang I have been out to the MH and read the manual emptied the waste tank and all left tap open emptied the fresh water it's showing 0% on the panel and cleaned it and dried it I am struggling to find the dump valve for the heater or because water is showing 0% does this mean it is already empty or is that just the fresh water tank it has an automatic dump valve that kicks in at about -4 ish and you flick this up to stop it is that the one I drain it with.

Campervanannie;n10479 said:
Ok gang I have been out to the MH and read the manual emptied the waste tank and all left tap open emptied the fresh water it's showing 0% on the panel and cleaned it and dried it I am struggling to find the dump valve for the heater or because water is showing 0% does this mean it is already empty or is that just the fresh water tank it has an automatic dump valve that kicks in at about -4 ish and you flick this up to stop it is that the one I drain it with.

Little yellow handle on it? Lift it up and check outside under it-you'll see the water draining out.

teejay;n10482 said:
Little yellow handle on it? Lift it up and check outside under it-you'll see the water draining out.

I'll go have another look though it's in a daft place in the garage and I'm not tall enough I'll get the kitchen steps out I'll be back.

Finishing my coffee and I'll go take another look.

Never drained down cos we use our MH all year round. Thermostatically controlled fan heater set on low with all doors and cupboards open in winter. Current Hymer has heater in garage, so at the moment hot water is left on, but not fan. will fit small oil filled tubular heater in boiler compartment at some stage.

Malcolm

emjaiuk;n10615 said:
Never drained down cos we use our MH all year round. Thermostatically controlled fan heater set on low with all doors and cupboards open in winter. Current Hymer has heater in garage, so at the moment hot water is left on, but not fan. will fit small oil filled tubular heater in boiler compartment at some stage.

Malcolm

I use my van all the year round but it is going to be stood for 4 weeks over Xmas and I live at the top of an hill on the outskirts of Bradford and we always get more snow and more frost up here and new to this posh motor homing as always had self builds but managed to do the boiler eventually so all is well now.

Took me nearly 4hrs most of that was spent finding the levers and switches and I couldn't do the boiler as I am major claustrophobic and could not climb into the garage until my other half came home to hold the door open I could not reach the switch stood outside the garage but it's all done now next time it will take minutes hopefully.

I'm hoping you are correct in that the toilet flush will empty along with the tank as extreme forecasts will certainly freeze that. I use my van all year as I full time but unfortunately don't have a winterised van so have had to drain it.
I do wish I'd bought one now. A Christmas gift for myself is in the cards and I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

Does anyone leave their Truma heater on low on hook up over winter, got mine on 3 at the moment and it keeps the MH at 5-7 degrees c. If not is there a reason why.

I read this thread just before coming down to Hertfordshire, originally we were coming down for a couple of days but this thread prompted me to drain down the van, I never drain it normally and I wasn't going to until I read this so thanks Annie, I would have had a bit of hassle and a big bill if you hadn't started this:Heart_Eyes_Emoji:

Tezza33;n12347 said:
I read this thread just before coming down to Hertfordshire, originally we were coming down for a couple of days but this thread prompted me to drain down the van, I never drain it normally and I wasn't going to until I read this so thanks Annie, I would have had a bit of hassle and a big bill if you hadn't started this:Heart_Eyes_Emoji:

Your very welcome chick.??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back