Wipers stopped working

Vanterrier

Getting off ferry at 3am in light drizzle my wipers decided to stop working...
Fiat Ducato multi jet 160 3.0lit 2010 model.
Checked and replaced fuse 43 on dash but no change.
Anyone know of another fuse or relay to check?
Or a fiat expert on Lewis.
Advice please...
Cheers
K :(

T12 f43 are wiper relay/fuse as far as I can remember...
On one of the under dash fuse boards... (haven't got manual to hand at the moment)

Worth tapping the relay AND the body of the wiper motor too.

And check there is a good earth to the wiper motor

Last edited:
In my 2018 Fiat Ducato multi jet manual, wipers are F43 in dashboard fusebox and F20 in engine compartment fusebox.

(Just seen Scotia's reply.)

Thanks all ;)
Got meter onto connections at motor and there is a supply ok and linkage can be turned a bit manually ( not seized) so it has to be a seized or burnt out motor....
Bought some rainex from motor factor this morning so that will have to get me home... Butt of Lewis to Northumberland with no wipers eh? Good job it doesn't rain much up here
K ;)

I came back from London to Leeds with no wipers, I found that once it got really wet I could see quite well, I was okay all the way on the M1, but it was a little dodgy on normal roads but it does heighten your awareness a bit.

Aye we pootled along at 20mph watching the rain build up on the screen but when we increased speed to 30-35 all the beads ran off the screen.
K ;)

Thanks all ;)
Got meter onto connections at motor and there is a supply ok and linkage can be turned a bit manually ( not seized) so it has to be a seized or burnt out motor....
I had the same but my fault was in the BCM

Advice please...
Cheers
i’ve got a fiat ducato 1998 19TD my wipers stopped working, thought it was the motor stripped it down it was the mechanism had seized up, i would spray all that with WD40, if you can get the motor off just check that on it own too, if you can get to the nut that connects the mechanism to the motor maybe just undo that then try your motor in situ, hope this helps

Advice please...
Cheers
The exact same thing happened to us at Crianlarich in torrential rain as we were heading to Arran! He checked all fuses etc and is a fab hand at fixing things. Not this time though. We chanced it to Arran and by luck, we had our very own micro climate. It was glorious. (We’d phoned around some garages first and couldn’t get any help for a few days anyway). Once back from Arran we headed back to Crianlarich where we were booked in via Green Flag. Pouring again. Husband had his nose to the windscreen 😱
It was the motor. It needed replacing. Approx £200 for parts but didn’t pay for the Labour.

The linkage on mine is fine and I can do a reasonable sweep using the string in the photo.
I might have a go at disconnecting motor to make the "Eco wipe" easier, its gonna come off when I get home anyway.
Replacement motors on fleabay at around £40 so no great worry there.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
If any of you can do anything about the weather that would be appreciated
K ;)

Advice please...
Cheers
if you need to replace your wiper motor, well regarding any parts i’ve found Autodoc really good, i replaced both back lights / both headlights too very reasonably priced , they supply older vehicles too as mine is 23 years old ducato 19 TD,

Lashing down on Skye this morning and Rainex doing its job well
K ;)

Reactions: Rec
Just to close this thread, new wiper motor and linkage fitted and all is back to normal. Not expensive but needed to also buy scuttle panel clips and sikaflex to seal scuttle to windscreen. If you had everything to hand it would be a simple job on a campsite in a couple of hours.
I would not carry a spare motor, but will keep some good string and definitely some rainex in case it ever happened again ;)
My final thought on this is that although wipers are a great accessory, they are not absolutely essential to a good holiday... (I might think differently if on a winter holiday with rain sleet and snow I suppose)
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back