Cam belt change

How long is a piece of string?
Please can anyone in Warwickshure give me an idea of how much a cambelt change should be in these more expensive parts days of engines. Have one quote and waiting on a second.
It was bad enough when I was younger and female because of course most women didn't, or weren't allowed, even change a tire or top up oil etc (I did) but now grey haired old lady doesn't stand a chance even with internet research.
Thanks for reading
Depends on Make & Model but I would say in the region of £300 to £550 as a rough guide if any help.

Fiat launched their all new 2.2 litre diesel engine in 2021 which is now used in the Ducato. It will probably soon find its way into the Peugeot and Citroen vans as well. I can’t see Stellantis developing any more new diesel engines so I guess we will have to live with whatever is now available.
I read that Fiat will never share their engines with Peugeot or Citroen. Had a Peugeot engine in my first motorhome (2013) and it sounded like a truck. Much prefer my 2017 Ducato 2.3 150 Multijet 2. Also love the comfortmatic box. It’s not perfect but I like it.

I read that Fiat will never share their engines with Peugeot or Citroen. Had a Peugeot engine in my first motorhome (2013) and it sounded like a truck. Much prefer my 2017 Ducato 2.3 150 Multijet 2. Also love the comfortmatic box. It’s not perfect but I like it.
Not sure that will make long term sense for Stellantis, especially as they are converting some engine plants to battery construction.

From a different thread.

About two years ago was given a ball park figure by a Fiat Professional place not far from me of £1200 for a cam belt and all ancillary equipment this included a major service and MOT. Got exactly the same done at an independent garage for about £850. 2017 Fiat Ducato 2.3 150bhp coach-built, manual gearbox.

Update:-
Recent conversation with the same Fiat Professional place I mentioned earlier.
Cam belt plus all ancillary £1500
Major Service £500
Plus VAT.

Needless to say going elsewhere.
How are you getting on Ann?

From a different thread.

Major Service £500
Plus VAT.

I don't know how true it is, but a while ago I rang a previously used professional dealership and was told that the company is cutting back on numbers, meaning price rises. ☹️

From a different thread.

Major Service £500
Plus VAT.

Got there I think Tim. Seem to have lost one service quote in my emails but have had conversation re same on phone. Accepting the one without water pump. They will replace that if needed when they do cam belt for an extra £50 if needed. Both garages have great reps where I am.

Last edited:
They seem like very reasonable quotes Ann.

Got there I think Tim. Seem to have lost one service quote in my emails but have had conversation re same on phone. Accepting the one without water pump. They will replace that if needed when they do cam belt for an extra £50 if needed. Both garages have great reps where I am.
Given it is something that is done every 5 years, and parts deteroriate over time but can look fine at the time inspected, it really makes sense to replace it regardless for the extra small cost compared to if you needed to replace it between belt change intervals.

Not replacing the water pump is a bit like getting your gearbox repaired and putting the old clutch plate back in, or changing the brake discs and putting in the old pads ....

Further confusion re this bloomin cambelt. Was going to book in on best quote. Good rep etc. Spoke to mechanic and asked to add water pump to be told that they don't do water pumps. Ensuing discussion with both him and fiat. Percieved wisdom from 3 still working mechanics is that unless there is a problem don"t mess with pump. Yes I countered with the expense of additional work if it goes. These guys are so rushed off their feet with work I don't think they ate being dishonest. So now in talks with a garage in Warwick that deals with fiat based vehicles and motorhomes. Didn't know they existed before

I had my belt replaced around a year ago. Think it was maybe just over 5 years since the last change (before my ownership).
The waterpump was replaced and when I saw the old one I could see evidence of it leaking and failing so definately worthwhile.

Please keep fingers crossed for me as I'm waiting for email confirmation of Cam belt Water Pump and full service around the £600 mark. Abit different to £1500!
That sounds about right for non main dealer workshops, todays engines are tight to work around.

Please keep fingers crossed for me as I'm waiting for email confirmation of Cam belt Water Pump and full service around the £600 mark. Abit different to £1500!
Fingers crossed, hope it works out for you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back