Does anyone know what is causing this odd noise

Pudsey Bear

There is nothing on the roof, or anyone near the van, it can happen when driving or parked day or night weather makes no difference it is totally random and no matter where you are in the van it sounds like it's on the roof but I left the phone inside recording it and stood on a nearby wall and there was nothing there, most of what you hear I recorded sat behind the steering wheel, you can hear me walking around the van on gravel.

It's getting quite serious as it's happening more at night now and it's frightening Liz so much she's afraid to go back to sleep even though she knows it's the van making the noise and not something outside.

this was recorded in May this year but it's still happening every now and then.

I don't know, it happens without anything turned on, or even when we're driving.

When the noise is happening have you managed to pinpoint exactly where it's emanating from?

When the noise is happening have you managed to pinpoint exactly where it's emanating from?
As I say, no matter where you are in the van it sounds overhead, except when in the cab, it sounds to come from the wheel arch but sit on the other side and it sounds like it't from there.

I would disconnect all the Elec Power to the van when the noise occurs, see if it stops , then process of elimination probably by removing Fuses ect.
That was the first thing I did well over a year ago I pulled the battery leads, made no difference.

Have you got a double floor in your van?
As Marie suggests a wee beastie may have snook in and roaming around between the floors
No, no voids anywhere.

No not that either, I have really looked at everything on the van, we even thought it might be heating up or cooling down, but it can have been raining for a few hours and it kicks off, or been in strong sunlight, it stops and starts, makes no difference, the recording doesn't really help to grasp the volume it is really loud.

Faulty speaker or smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector perhaps?
No not possible with no batteries connected.

It does sort of sound like a volume or tuning knob which needs switch cleaner though, wish it were that simple.

No not possible with no batteries connected.

It does sort of sound like a volume or tuning knob which needs switch cleaner though, wish it were that simple.
But a smoke detector for example usually has it’s own (9v) battery to power its alarm “speaker”. Wouldn’t rule any alarm related devices out until you’ve checked all that you may have (sorry, don’t know what you have/haven’t got installed).

Sorry Allan, I forgot to add that it does have a co2 and smoke alarm and stood next to them when the noise is heard, it's definitely not those.

It's a crow in the background .... 🤣 but to be serious it does sound like the electrical noise you get from a speaker with a duff connection or speaker. Doesn't sound like any four legged visitor I know, that would be more scratchy ........ or sound of movement and wouldn't it be dead by now 🤔

Back