Does anyone know what is causing this odd noise

Are you near a radio transmitter or a ham/cb station, I knew folks who had trouble like this and tracked the sound coming from their electric organ, turned out to be a taxi station transmitter a few hundred yards away, mind you id be miles away. 😰

Are you near a radio transmitter or a ham/cb station, I knew folks who had trouble like this and tracked the sound coming from their electric organ, turned out to be a taxi station transmitter a few hundred yards away, mind you id be miles away. 😰
Last time was in a forest in wales no overhead cables just trees for miles, it's happened all over the UK anyway so I doubt it's a locality problem, I have even parked it on the drive got out and locked it and can here it from anywhere around the van.

No not possible with no batteries connected.

It does sort of sound like a volume or tuning knob which needs switch cleaner though, wish it were that simple.
Pudsey
Just amother thought to throw in the mix.
We had an odd noise with our Moho some time back coming from top of driver door pillar. You say the noise is still there with batteries disconnected?
The alarm system ECU on ours was hidden away in the top of the pillar.
the problem was the alarms siren was full of water as the windscreen drain tube had come off, this was causing like a shorting sound / weird noise from ECU.
As the alarm has its own backup battery system is still powered up and functional
Strange bit was the alarm was still arming / disarming

Pudsey
Just amother thought to throw in the mix.
We had an odd noise with our Moho some time back coming from top of driver door pillar. You say the noise is still there with batteries disconnected?
The alarm system ECU on ours was hidden away in the top of the pillar.
the problem was the alarms siren was full of water as the windscreen drain tube had come off, this was causing like a shorting sound / weird noise from ECU.
As the alarm has its own backup battery system is still powered up and functional
Strange bit was the alarm was still arming / disarming
What vehicle is that?

Elddis Sunseeker 175 on Peugeot Boxer chassis.
I think Fiat etc put the alarms under the bonnet, maybe yours is secreted away as it's aftermarket, but I'm not sure maybe someone else knows.

I think Fiat etc put the alarms under the bonnet, maybe yours is secreted away as it's aftermarket, but I'm not sure maybe someone else knows.
Depending on the year, a basic Fiat Ducato immobiliser/alarm can rely on the existing horn as the siren, the horn is often located near to the driver's side wheel arch ...........

Cheers Dave.

I assume the horn working normally would rule that out as the noise?

Cheers Dave.

I assume the horn working normally would rule that out as the noise?
Yes, I would expect the horn to sound erratic and crackle etc if the earth or live connections were faulty, I assume there are no aftermarket electrics fitted ...

Just caught this thread. FWIW, we have a similar noise, a cross between "scratching" and an analogue TV not tuned into a signal. I'm not sure what's causing it. However, it's coming out of the speaker of our rear view monitor and muting the monitor restores my sanity. FWIW, my rear view system was installed by a previous owner and the camera doesn't have a microphone.

Yes, I would expect the horn to sound erratic and crackle etc if the earth or live connections were faulty, I assume there are no aftermarket electrics fitted ...
It sounds normal to me an no none original stuff either except a VSR and a Solar Controller but it was doing this long before they were added.

For reasons not relevant here, I bought a little battery powered water leak alarm to place on the floor by our washing machine. After some months SWMBO was wandering up and down our hall and kitchen muttering about a tiny crackling sound she could here. We traced the sound to this little alarm. Changing the battery didn't fix the problem. However, I can say that your recording has a characteristic remarkably similar to our faulty alarm. The only difference is that your frequency is a little lower.
I'm not suggesting, of course, that you have a hidden water leak alarm in your van but you could look for a speaker which is being affected by faulty electronics.
Hope this helps.

It sounds normal to me an no none original stuff either except a VSR and a Solar Controller but it was doing this long before they were added.
So to eliminate a faulty piezo speaker altogether, does the alarm use the vehicle horn or a separate siren ........ if its the horn then I'm completely stumped .....

For reasons not relevant here, I bought a little battery powered water leak alarm to place on the floor by our washing machine. After some months SWMBO was wandering up and down our hall and kitchen muttering about a tiny crackling sound she could here. We traced the sound to this little alarm. Changing the battery didn't fix the problem. However, I can say that your recording has a characteristic remarkably similar to our faulty alarm. The only difference is that your frequency is a little lower.
I'm not suggesting, of course, that you have a hidden water leak alarm in your van but you could look for a speaker which is being affected by faulty electronics.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, no of course we don't have one of those :D :D :D but it is mystifying and when it happens in the middle of the night we do a bit more than mutter.

So to eliminate a faulty piezo speaker altogether, does the alarm use the vehicle horn or a separate siren ........ if its the horn then I'm completely stumped .....
I have no idea what or where the noisy bit is, but I am 99.99% sure it not that as I can hear it even stood outside at the back of the van, It really does sound just like a large bird walking about on the roof, and before some swine suggests it, no Liz can't get up there ;) ;)

I have no idea what or where the noisy bit is, but I am 99.99% sure it not that as I can hear it even stood outside at the back of the van, It really does sound just like a large bird walking about on the roof, and before some swine suggests it, no Liz can't get up there ;) ;)
I've just had another listen to the "sounds" and having run PA systems for years it sure sounds like a faulty connection blipping through a speaker, if I was on stage I'd be running around like a lunatic checking every cable. Sorry I'm out of ideas 🙁🙁

FWIW, I made post #33 because the sound coming from my van's rear view system sounds very much like the sound in the recording attached to the OP but with the addition of a tiny bit of hiss. So I was surprised to see a "Sad" response!
In my van's case the noise is sporadic and might happen at any time, even when the monitor isn't activated. Doesn't matter whether we're parked or on the move. This, too seemed to match the OP. When I'm in the front half of the van, it sounds like it's coming from the roof -- another similarity. Sat in the cab, it sounds like it's coming from the overcab -- but then the monitor replaces the rear view mirror rather than being dash-mounted, so I assume that it would sound like it's coming from the wheel arch area if it was dash-mounted -- another similarity?
Our system doesn't turn off with the ignition but has an isolation switch, so I can shut down the system completely. Leaving it on can flatten the cranking battery over a few weeks and hence I try to remember to open the isolator as part of the park-up routine.

Back