Does anyone know what is causing this odd noise

FWIW, I made post #33 because the sound coming from my van's rear view system sounds very much like the sound in the recording attached to the OP but with the addition of a tiny bit of hiss. So I was surprised to see a "Sad" response!
In my van's case the noise is sporadic and might happen at any time, even when the monitor isn't activated. Doesn't matter whether we're parked or on the move. This, too seemed to match the OP. When I'm in the front half of the van, it sounds like it's coming from the roof -- another similarity. Sat in the cab, it sounds like it's coming from the overcab -- but then the monitor replaces the rear view mirror rather than being dash-mounted, so I assume that it would sound like it's coming from the wheel arch area if it was dash-mounted -- another similarity?
Our system doesn't turn off with the ignition but has an isolation switch, so I can shut down the system completely. Leaving it on can flatten the cranking battery over a few weeks and hence I try to remember to open the isolator as part of the park-up routine.
The sad face was in sympathy for you having a similar problem Geoff, it seemed the most appropriate icon.

We too have the reversing cammonitor over the mirror but that goes off with the ignition on ours.

It is a damned pest not being able to figure it out.

without a doubt, as mentioned earlier, the bird sound is almost undoubtedly a crow, the other sound i'm still thinking about:unsure:

without a doubt, as mentioned earlier, the bird sound is almost undoubtedly a crow, the other sound i'm still thinking about:unsure:
Yes it was a crow, loads of them we were in a forest overnight.

That bloody noise is back again in the van.

Last trip it was fine, and this trip too until about an hour ago.

We figured it might be the speakers, as no matter what buttons you pressed the radio didn't go off so we just took front off, then I found the manual online and sussed the off button and as said it's been quiet, the radio is definitely off it even says goodbye on the display so wtf is making the row it's intermittent, no rhyme or reason to it, not a bird as its seriously windy up here.

Just a stab in the dark but I remember the Citroen Dispatch I had until a few years ago and to which I fitted an aftermarket Bluetooth hands-free kit that used the in-car entertainment speakers and an external mic. I wonder whether a previous owner fitted similar? (If they did, you should find the system spliced into the wiring harness going to the radio).

Just tried pairing but only OBD2

But the radio is off so no power to anything, the only thing left is to break the connection to the speakers but I'd have to do it 4 times as it has 4 speakers.

But the radio is off so no power to anything, the only thing left is to break the connection to the speakers but I'd have to do it 4 times as it has 4 speakers.
This is why I suggested an aftermarket hands-free kit. Those take two power sources, which should be one switched on the radio and the other either constant or switched with the ignition. If it's been configured not to be discoverable, you won't find it unless you switch on the pairing mode. Hence the only way to be sure that this or something else hasn't been fitted to intercept the radio speaker output is to pull the radio and check the wiring at the back. Also, while doing that, you can pull the DIN etc. connector on the back of the radio. which will disconnect all four speakers at once.

A bit above my pay grade and it'll have to wait until we get home in a couple of weeks.

Radios dont have to be switched on for diodes/wires to pick up signals and send them out of the speakers, as I said about the chap with the electric organ which was unplugged and picking up taxi air traffic.
Telephones old type will also do this.

Mercifully it kept quiet during the night, unfortunately we did have some hyper types making a bit of noise after midnight, and it was extremely windy last night up in the beacons.

That’ sounds very like a faulty speaker. We had a record player when I was young even when unplugged from the electric we could hear a faint radio station from the speaker and a crackle just like that. Maybe static in the speaker.

That’ sounds very like a faulty speaker. We had a record player when I was young even when unplugged from the electric we could hear a faint radio station from the speaker and a crackle just like that. Maybe static in the speaker.
What takes place is the windings or cable is at the freq of a local station and you get some background, but it would not happen in all areas.

you say windy last night in the beacons it’s not a fuel/water/gas cover flapping ?

Has it got a tracker buried somewhere. Don't know what you have but Autotrail have a box behind the driver that gets hot and melts. You need to disconnect the leisure battery and pull the negative off the cab battery. Very strange sound. Have you checked the fridge vents.

Do you have fans fitted to the upper external vent of your fridge?
I fitted a pair of fans, to extract warm air from behind the fridge, in preparation for last years gadabout to the Sun.
Occasionally, the wind would rattle through the vents, and the subsequent noise was unnerving, it took us a while to work out what the problem was, we were convinced that we had a bird on the roof, but eventually we realised it was just the wind, blowing through the fans.

Back