Easy water tank filler

I have a ten litre can I got in France and it came with a flexi hose doohicky but I still have trouble if the van is sloped towards the filling side.

I find a watering can fitted with about a foot of 1'' hose useful, come in handy if your stopping on an air and you don't want to move the van.

Cracking idea! Will now be touring Wickes to get the right diameter. Sensible to get the larger fit, I see the reasoning ! Thanks.

Ellendale;n1971 said:
Cracking idea! Will now be touring Wickes to get the right diameter. Sensible to get the larger fit, I see the reasoning ! Thanks.

Me too lol

When you put the hose onto the spout put a ring of copper pipe in the end of the spout first to stop the jubilee clip crushing the end.

Campervanannie;n2480 said:
Me too lol

Much easier with a watering can and it has multiple uses like washer bottle filling, washing windscreen or even the van .

In almost 6 years, over 2 motorhomes and 2.5 years fulltiming, we’ve never carried a watering can or filled up at anything but a tap. We find it easier to move the motorhome and do a full full. We do carry 2 5ltr water bottles, which we drink from, and if water is inaccessible, we use these for washing up etc, thus saving the tank for toilet flush and teeth.

Clunegapyears;n3479 said:
In almost 6 years, over 2 motorhomes and 2.5 years fulltiming, we’ve never carried a watering can or filled up at anything but a tap. We find it easier to move the motorhome and do a full full. We do carry 2 5ltr water bottles, which we drink from, and if water is inaccessible, we use these for washing up etc, thus saving the tank for toilet flush and teeth.

You must do a completely different type of motorhoming to us as more often than not we have needed the watering can and I have been using a watering can for over 30 years from trailer tents , caravans and motorhomes .
I have also noticed over the years that if you are say staying at a pub or perhaps getting water from someone's house they don't have a problem with you filling a few watering cans but if you get a hosepipe out their perception is that you are going to take a lot of water .
I used to put 250 litres in the Winnebago with 2 watering cans sometimes !

Last edited by a moderator:
Banned member;n3514 said:
You must do a completely different type of motorhoming to us as more often than not we have needed the watering can and I have been using a watering can for over 30 years from trailer tents , caravans and motorhomes .
I have also noticed over the years that if you are say staying at a pub or perhaps getting water from someone's house they don't have a problem with you filling a few watering cans but if you get a hosepipe out their perception is that you are going to take a lot of water .
I used to put 250 litres in the Winnebago with 2 watering cans sometimes !

Well, we don’t shower often!!!

We keep a 2-5 large fresh water bottle container only for kettle or drinking water ,never drink the tap water out the van ,tank is spotless but just the way I am.if I was stuck I could use the container to add to tank as a back up instead of water can

I also use a 90 degree gutter pipe and watering can.So much quicker than faffing around with a hosepipe!

Edina;n73 said:
Using a down pipe fitting like this means you don't have to hold a funnel in one hand and pour with the other.
Measure the diameter of the filler and get a fitting slightly larger so you can file/sand down for a tight fit.

Thats Genius that is!!!

Mrs D is obsessed with getting water. Im always been sent out to fetch it in a plethora of vessels including a 25 litre carrier that goes on the back of the scooter. She will take bottles with her as well and can spot a tap like an eagle spots a rabbit two miles away. :rolleyes:

However the big carrier is flipping heavy and I either use a funnel outside and try and wedge it in while lugging the carrier on my shoulder or above the funnel somehow. This generally results in me wearing most of the water which i dont mind as it gives everyone else watching (I can feel their eyes staring) a good laugh. Or I have to unscrew the top of the tank inside and pour it from within which also ends up going everywhere if your not careful.

How do you secure that down pipe in though? Your hole looks bigger than mine. :frown:

That has brought back memories of refilling with water in some Hungarian villages.

Attachments

• photo828.jpg
    photo828.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • photo829.jpg
    photo829.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
barryd;n9461 said:
Thats Genius that is!!!

Mrs D is obsessed with getting water. Im always been sent out to fetch it in a plethora of vessels including a 25 litre carrier that goes on the back of the scooter. She will take bottles with her as well and can spot a tap like an eagle spots a rabbit two miles away. :rolleyes:

However the big carrier is flipping heavy and I either use a funnel outside and try and wedge it in while lugging the carrier on my shoulder or above the funnel somehow. This generally results in me wearing most of the water which i dont mind as it gives everyone else watching (I can feel their eyes staring) a good laugh. Or I have to unscrew the top of the tank inside and pour it from within which also ends up going everywhere if your not careful.

How do you secure that down pipe in though? Your hole looks bigger than mine. :frown:

My pipe had a lip one end of it and fits perfectly.If its to big you can just shave a bit of the plastic.
Measure your opening and go to B&Q and im sure they will have a size to fit yours!

Clunegapyears;n3479 said:

We are the same. We do not go on sites and fill up on Aires, but sometimes in UK have called at a private/farm site for a fill; often free or for a couple of quid or a few chocs. Sheel filling stations often have outside taps are are obliging if one is filling diesel.

But as you say, always fill completely(100 litres). We also carry a spare 10lt.

Geoff

Just wondering how the 'water canners' get on at Aires. Say the Bourne charges you €3 for 100litres of drinking water. You put your token in and take a watering can of water and off you go. Meanwhile Pierre, who has been waiting for just an opportunity, rushes over and fills up his many plastic bottles and buckets. You return to the water tap and your 100litres has disappeared into Johnny Frenchman's bottomless tank!

IMG_20170703_113957069.jpgIMG_20170703_114026537.jpg Saw it here First Wild Camping

Last edited:
Spacerunner;n9797 said:
Just wondering how the 'water canners' get on at Aires. Say the Bourne charges you €3 for 100litres of drinking water. You put your token in and take a watering can of water and off you go. Meanwhile Pierre, who has been waiting for just an opportunity, rushes over and fills up his many plastic bottles and buckets. You return to the water tap and your 100litres has disappeared into Johnny Frenchman's bottomless tank!

Guffaw! :smile:

No serious motorhomer pays €3 for water! They (we) are all too tight for that. Fill up at the free Aire before you go to the next one where its €3 a pop. I assume the "water canners" are trudging backwards and forwards to a free tap. However you make a valid and amusing point. Ive seen people rush forward with various carrying vessels on time and quantity limited service points if they are vacated quickly like a tramp on chips.

One 13 ltr can
one submersible whale pump. 12 v Electric pin socket by the door, less than a minute to pump.
even specially built 2 wheel trolley to carry water can.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back