Electric cars, Emperor's new clothes???

Another persons outlook on Electric vehicle positives and some myths

It's a rather long Full length video but I found it informative

Has anybody heard of global warming? Transport accounts for over 20% of GHG emissions and has not been decreasing while other sectors have. The ICE is dirty polluting and wasteful of energy. Emissions from vehicles are responsible for hundreds of thousands of premature deaths worldwide. Recovering oil is extremely damaging to the environment. Governments have bowed down before the car lobby and further damaged the environment by building more and more roads to cater for more and more and bigger and bigger vehicles when proper investment in public transport would be much more beneficial. The cost of congestion caused by too many vehicles on the road runs into hundreds of millions. People who rely on cars for simple short journeys instead of walking or cycling are more likely to be damaging their health through lack of fitness.

I have an electric car and am very pleased with it. We mainly do fairly short journeys, (but we also walk and cycle a lot) and have done a couple of longer ones which required just a little more planning than usual. When we charge it at home the power is pollution free as we have PV panels - and here in Scotland most charge points are free.

EV's may not be the long-term answer, although technology is improving all the time, and maybe hydrogen is a better long-term solution but if you are concerned about global warming then EV is the way to go, if you can.
There is the environmental impact of building the things and disposing of used batteries. And, if everyone had an EV, we would need to generate vast quantities of additional electricity. Renewable energy will not cope.

There is the environmental impact of building the things and disposing of used batteries. And, if everyone had an EV, we would need to generate vast quantities of additional electricity. Renewable energy will not cope.

Did you watch the video I posted above as that covers a lot of the myths of production and supply?

I have been looking at electric cars for some time but I simply can't my head around the low mileages possible on a charge which is why I am also looking at various hybrids and for me the Mitsubishi Outlander Petrol/Electric appears to tick a lot of my boxes including zero VED and some quite to very good fuel consumption figures once the driving technique has been learnt,it is also a Mitsubishi and I know from past experiences how superbly engineered their cars are.

Before going any further with a Hybrid purchase check out this guys utube channel
Plug Life Television

That's not a reason to stop making EV's - it's a reason to up the game. Sort the battery-environmental-production issues and invest heavily in renewables, instead of cutting funding as the current government has done.

Personally, I think this is the way forward: Hydrogen Buses since 2015

I can imagine the carnage when this miniature test version will cause to our marine Eco-system when seabed harvesting take off!!

Be worse than clam dredging.

Cobalt is available elsewhere without doing this, but sadly in countries without very good employment practices at present. So, yes, it's needed but not in vast quantities, and cobalt-free batteries are already in testing.

We should remember, by the way, that we are comparing this to the oild, coal and gas industries, which have not been exactly friendly to our environment!

Are electric cars the kings new clothes I wonder? The cost to the environment of building and running the damn things then the leftovers even after recycling them... I hear of four year old Leafs with batteries on their way out and replacement batteries costing more than the car is worth! The inconvenience of long charging times and so few charging points. Imagine the carparks we use now full of electric cars... wheres the money coming from for all the charging points needing to be installed. And now we are looking at destroying the sea bed in an effort to find the minerals required to make batteries?
All that versus further developing the vastly improved diesels or other fuels like cow-farts so I can continue to enjoy roast beef.
Im not a luddite, really I am not but I just think EV's are not the (only) solution.
There, thats off my chest.
As someone who's been driving an electric car for four years now, I can't really imagine going back to a fossil-burner. I do, however, have a diesel van, and I think it'll be a while before electric alternatives are really viable there. I expect we'll see hydrogen-powered hybrids eventually replacing diesel in larger vehicles.

Most discussions on this topic involve a mix of fact and fiction, so for what it's worth, here are some experiences from someone who's taken an active interest in this for some years...

Mine is an elderly BMW i3, and only has an electric range of about 70 miles on a good day. But it does also have the little 600cc 'range-extender' engine, which means you can run for about another 80 miles on petrol if you need to. That was very useful as a 'get out of jail card' when this was made 5 years ago, and allowed me to switch to electric as my only vehicle, before the charging network was nearly as extensive as it is today. (The range-extender approach is different from a standard hybrid like a Prius, because you're not carrying a big fuel tank and a big engine: it's a battery-based car with a small generator that can keep it topped up: the engine never drives the wheels directly.) I use the range extender perhaps once every couple of months, and, since I've had the car, I've done something approaching 1500 mpg.

All my normal day-to-day driving: popping into town, visiting my parents, going to Stansted airport and back, fits within the 70-mile range. About twice a week, I plug it in on the driveway. I have a standard 7kW car charging point, which means that if the battery is completely empty, it takes about 3 hours to charge. 'Fuel' costs are about 3p per mile - it would be cheaper if I bothered with Economy 7 - and I buy my power from a company that uses only renewable sources, mostly hydroelectric, so the majority of my driving is powered by Welsh rainwater!

I probably wouldn't bother with a range extender if I were buying a car now, because almost all electric cars sold this year have a range of at least 200-300 miles, and that's no longer just the case for expensive Teslas! It's worth noting how much things have changed in just 4 years since I bought my car. The question has changed in that time from 'How far can you drive before you must stop?', to 'How far will your bladder let you drive anyway?' and now it's more like 'How far do you want to drive in a day, anyway?'.

Even with my battery I've done longer journeys: I've been from Cambridge to the Lake District and back twice without using any petrol, for example. Yes, it takes quite a bit longer, because I have to take more breaks, and for longer. But as a result I arrive much less tired, and I suspect I travel more safely. And that extra time on long journeys is easily offset by never having to go into a petrol station for the rest of the year! When I *can* buy a campervan with a decent-sized battery, though, stopping at charging points will be even less of an issue: I'll just make a cuppa or take a short nap!

Anyway, sorry - this is becoming an essay, and yes, there are still plenty of issues to be sorted out, so let me switch to bullet points to address a few common misunderstandings that I often hear in the pub:

* The time quoted for recharging can range from 15 minutes to 20 hours! This is because different cars have different sized batteries and different possible rates of charging, and different charging points have different capabilities. But the maths is not hard. If you're plugging into a normal 13A socket you can't draw much more than 2kW for an extended period. If you have a 40kWH battery, it takes 20 hours in those unlikely situations when you are completely empty and need to be completely full. But most people who own an EV have a 7kW charging socket at home, meaning it takes a third of that time, and the chargers installed at service stations, healthclubs, hotels etc are generally 50kW, Tesla ones will do over 100kW, and we're starting to get a few public chargers which can go as high as 300kW (in the currently unlikely event that you have a car that can ask for that much!).

* There are currently more public charging points in the UK than there are petrol stations. And, note, that is *public* charging points; it doesn't take account of the much larger number attached to people's houses. However, it is worth taking with a big pinch of salt, because most of them are slow (7kw or lower), but those are still important. In somewhere like a National Trust car park or a hotel, it's much more important to have lots of cheap slow chargers than one expensive fast one.

* When you are using public chargers, you generally have to pay. You will sometimes pay three or four times as much as your electricity costs as home. This is, however, still cheaper per mile than petrol, and most people do only a tiny fraction of their charging that way.

* Car batteries, like all batteries, do eventually lose some of their capacity, but they are lasting much longer than people originally thought would be the case. Don't make the mistake of thinking that this is like your electric toothbrush or your phone! There are many Teslas and Nissan Leafs that have clocked up huge mileages. Most manufacturers offer something like an 8-year warranty on them not having lost significant capacity in that time. And the batteries are far too valuable to be thrown away, so they are reused in a variety of cunning ways (for example to smooth out spikes on the grid, or as home storage for solar installations).

* Electric cars are still more expensive than their carbon-powered equivalents, but the gap is closing fast and price parity is generally anticipated to be here either next year or the year after.

* There will be some challenges to the electricity grid as we switch over to electric, but nothing like the Daily Mail would have you believe. :) It turns out that the existing grid could cope just fine as long as we're a little bit smart about charging. The challenge would be if everybody in the country suddenly bought an EV, came home at 6 o'clock, plugged in and wanted to charge at full rate there and then. But if you charge at off-peak times (and both cars and charging points are becoming increasing smart about this) it smooths out the overall grid usage, requiring power stations to be stopped and started less often.

For me, the really interesting stuff is in the V2G (vehicle to grid) arena, where the car can provide power back to the house (or grid). That's a whole separate topic, but there are trials currently underway in many areas. The opportunities for storing renewable energy in this vast, distributed battery, spread around the country, and then using it to avoid having to build power stations which only serve to supply peak loads is, for me, one of the most exciting aspects of this.

So yes, there are challenges to be faced - for my first two years of EV ownership I had no off-street parking, for example - but overall, my experience of living with an EV for some years has been positive, and they are clearly the way of the future. They're such fun to drive, too!

OK, apologies for the long post! Hope that's of interest to somebody!
As someone who's been driving an electric car for four years now, I can't really imagine going back to a fossil-burner. I do, however, have a diesel van, and I think it'll be a while before electric alternatives are really viable there. I expect we'll see hydrogen-powered hybrids eventually replacing diesel in larger vehicles.

Most discussions on this topic involve a mix of fact and fiction, so for what it's worth, here are some experiences from someone who's taken an active interest in this for some years...

Mine is an elderly BMW i3, and only has an electric range of about 70 miles on a good day. But it does also have the little 600cc 'range-extender' engine, which means you can run for about another 80 miles on petrol if you need to. That was very useful as a 'get out of jail card' when this was made 5 years ago, and allowed me to switch to electric as my only vehicle, before the charging network was nearly as extensive as it is today. (The range-extender approach is different from a standard hybrid like a Prius, because you're not carrying a big fuel tank and a big engine: it's a battery-based car with a small generator that can keep it topped up: the engine never drives the wheels directly.) I use the range extender perhaps once every couple of months, and, since I've had the car, I've done something approaching 1500 mpg.

All my normal day-to-day driving: popping into town, visiting my parents, going to Stansted airport and back, fits within the 70-mile range. About twice a week, I plug it in on the driveway. I have a standard 7kW car charging point, which means that if the battery is completely empty, it takes about 3 hours to charge. 'Fuel' costs are about 3p per mile - it would be cheaper if I bothered with Economy 7 - and I buy my power from a company that uses only renewable sources, mostly hydroelectric, so the majority of my driving is powered by Welsh rainwater!

I probably wouldn't bother with a range extender if I were buying a car now, because almost all electric cars sold this year have a range of at least 200-300 miles, and that's no longer just the case for expensive Teslas! It's worth noting how much things have changed in just 4 years since I bought my car. The question has changed in that time from 'How far can you drive before you must stop?', to 'How far will your bladder let you drive anyway?' and now it's more like 'How far do you want to drive in a day, anyway?'.

Even with my battery I've done longer journeys: I've been from Cambridge to the Lake District and back twice without using any petrol, for example. Yes, it takes quite a bit longer, because I have to take more breaks, and for longer. But as a result I arrive much less tired, and I suspect I travel more safely. And that extra time on long journeys is easily offset by never having to go into a petrol station for the rest of the year! When I *can* buy a campervan with a decent-sized battery, though, stopping at charging points will be even less of an issue: I'll just make a cuppa or take a short nap!

Anyway, sorry - this is becoming an essay, and yes, there are still plenty of issues to be sorted out, so let me switch to bullet points to address a few common misunderstandings that I often hear in the pub:

* The time quoted for recharging can range from 15 minutes to 20 hours! This is because different cars have different sized batteries and different possible rates of charging, and different charging points have different capabilities. But the maths is not hard. If you're plugging into a normal 13A socket you can't draw much more than 2kW for an extended period. If you have a 40kWH battery, it takes 20 hours in those unlikely situations when you are completely empty and need to be completely full. But most people who own an EV have a 7kW charging socket at home, meaning it takes a third of that time, and the chargers installed at service stations, healthclubs, hotels etc are generally 50kW, Tesla ones will do over 100kW, and we're starting to get a few public chargers which can go as high as 300kW (in the currently unlikely event that you have a car that can ask for that much!).

* There are currently more public charging points in the UK than there are petrol stations. And, note, that is *public* charging points; it doesn't take account of the much larger number attached to people's houses. However, it is worth taking with a big pinch of salt, because most of them are slow (7kw or lower), but those are still important. In somewhere like a National Trust car park or a hotel, it's much more important to have lots of cheap slow chargers than one expensive fast one.

* When you are using public chargers, you generally have to pay. You will sometimes pay three or four times as much as your electricity costs as home. This is, however, still cheaper per mile than petrol, and most people do only a tiny fraction of their charging that way.

* Car batteries, like all batteries, do eventually lose some of their capacity, but they are lasting much longer than people originally thought would be the case. Don't make the mistake of thinking that this is like your electric toothbrush or your phone! There are many Teslas and Nissan Leafs that have clocked up huge mileages. Most manufacturers offer something like an 8-year warranty on them not having lost significant capacity in that time. And the batteries are far too valuable to be thrown away, so they are reused in a variety of cunning ways (for example to smooth out spikes on the grid, or as home storage for solar installations).

* Electric cars are still more expensive than their carbon-powered equivalents, but the gap is closing fast and price parity is generally anticipated to be here either next year or the year after.

* There will be some challenges to the electricity grid as we switch over to electric, but nothing like the Daily Mail would have you believe. :) It turns out that the existing grid could cope just fine as long as we're a little bit smart about charging. The challenge would be if everybody in the country suddenly bought an EV, came home at 6 o'clock, plugged in and wanted to charge at full rate there and then. But if you charge at off-peak times (and both cars and charging points are becoming increasing smart about this) it smooths out the overall grid usage, requiring power stations to be stopped and started less often.

For me, the really interesting stuff is in the V2G (vehicle to grid) arena, where the car can provide power back to the house (or grid). That's a whole separate topic, but there are trials currently underway in many areas. The opportunities for storing renewable energy in this vast, distributed battery, spread around the country, and then using it to avoid having to build power stations which only serve to supply peak loads is, for me, one of the most exciting aspects of this.

So yes, there are challenges to be faced - for my first two years of EV ownership I had no off-street parking, for example - but overall, my experience of living with an EV for some years has been positive, and they are clearly the way of the future. They're such fun to drive, too!

OK, apologies for the long post! Hope that's of interest to somebody!

I have always thought that because of the battery deterioration problem EV's would be worthless on the secondhand market . It would be interesting to know what your BMW i3 is worth now on the secondhand market and would anyone want to purchase it ? How does the second hand value compare with what is lost on a petrol or diesel car as they get older. I am guessing the number of battery "cycles" will be more relevant than milage.
K ;)

A few mins into that "Gen2" elec MoHo , and it becomes a joke , yes it might get close to 400km but then you have a 2 hour sit at a high power recharge point , if you havent got that say on a aire or site , you could be there 2 days . The battery pack has basically eaten all the payload , so you require a HGV licence . I didnt bother to wait till price . There is still a long way to go ! Its very apparent as soon as you need elec vehicle to work hard , ie not just moving a relatively light passenger car , the downsides become very real .

The problem is that electric cars run on batteries. Batteries cost a fortune and are heavy, so they fit as small a battery as possible.
When I fill my car with diesel, it's good for a month of my typical driving. With an electric car, that's never going to be an option: they're designed to be recharged daily, more or less.
A typical electric car's battery bank holds the equivalent of about five litres of diesel. If your fuel tank only held that much, you'd suffer range anxiety with a diesel engine.

My 2litre Skoda diesel could do the run from Banchory to Preston/Lytham (300miles each way) on a tank of diesel each way and cost around £100 in fuel with say a 15minute fill up in Preston plus coffee/lunch stops on route. Generally speaking a 6 hour trip each way.
My electric car can do the return trip on 2 or 3 supercharger stops in all (Abington, Gretna or Tebay depending how I’m doing) if I leave home with it fully topped up. Each supercharge stop is around 20 to 25 minutes and I’d be stopping en route for coffee / lunch in any case. Generally speaking a 6 to 6 1/2 hour trip each way. Best of it is I pay nothing for the electricity!!
Admittedly not all electric cars have this sort of range or free supercharging and they don’t come cheap. But I can see things greatly improving for EV in the future.

Governments are doing virtually nothing, there's a climate change denier-lunatic in the White House, the human species could become extinct, as all species do eventually, except this time it'll be because of our own stupidity, and according to many writers and scientists it's far worse than we think - so it's time to take some personal responsibility: fly less (if at all), eat less meat, grow your own vegetables, use public transport, walk and cycle more, drive less, ditch the diesel (where possible), offset your carbon footprint by donating to tree-planting charities, install pv panels etc etc. And if you can, get an EV, because despite all the negatives people harp on about, it's a lot better than contributing directly to tens of thousands of premature deaths and chronic cardiovascular conditions through your exhaust pipe.

Here endeth the sermon.

Can't disagree that we all need to do much more, but I do disagree that EV cars are a solution.
We need to travel less (universal fast broadband would be significant if we get it) and when we do need to travel, use public transport as much as possible.
Electric cars are still very ungreen in their energy use, particularly in being made and disassembled. They cause a lot of pollution in the form of tyre dust.

Has anybody heard of global warming? Transport accounts for over 20% of GHG emissions [...]
Governments are doing virtually nothing, there's a climate change denier-lunatic in the White House, the human species could become extinct, as all species do eventually, except this time it'll be because of our own stupidity, and according to many writers and scientists it's far worse than we think - so it's time to take some personal responsibility: fly less (if at all), eat less meat, grow your own vegetables, use public transport, walk and cycle more, drive less, ditch the diesel (where possible), offset your carbon footprint by donating to tree-planting charities, install pv panels etc etc. And if you can, get an EV, because despite all the negatives people harp on about, it's a lot better than contributing directly to tens of thousands of premature deaths and chronic cardiovascular conditions through your exhaust pipe.

Here endeth the sermon.
Global warming really is the Emperor's new clothes IMO. It seems at best naive - at worst disingenuous - to conclude that a multi-faceted, complex system such as World climate is chiefly driven by a tiny fraction of anthropogenic contribution to a single factor -- i.e. CO2.

Let's put this in perspective: Currently, atmospheric CO2 concentration is about 415 parts per million (i.e. 0.04% of the atmosphere is CO2) -- it's a "trace gas" because there's so little of it. Of this small amount, only 3% is from human activities -- i.e. CO2 from human activities accounts for approx 1 thousandth of one percent of the atmosphere. Transport accounts for approximately 20% of this already tiny figure, which is thus pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. CO2 isn't even a strong greenhouse gas. For example, water vapour is much more important and makes up 0.2% to 4% of the atmosphere -- i.e. five to 100 times as much as CO2.

Now consider that atmospheric CO2 concentration increases with rising temperature and that, generally, changes in CO2 concentration lag (i.e. follow) temperature changes, which implies that rising CO2 levels are not responsible for global warming but rather global warming is responsible for rising CO2 levels. Now consider that there have been several Dansgaard–Oeschger events and Bond events (which are event characterised by rapid warming of the Northern Hemisphere) since the start of the last ice age. All but one (the one we're currently in) occured entirely before industrialisation, and thus the cause of such events cannot be anything to do with industrialisation. Global warming is happening, but it almost certainly isn't anthropogenic and alarmists would be better campaigning for mitigation rather than making Canute-style attempts at stopping it IMO.

In the meantime, EVs are proving not to be the answer because the particulates they emit are as bad as from modern-day petrol-powered vehicles and almost as bad as from modern diesels, which are worse only becase of the small amount of NOx from Euro 6 and 6d. The particulates come from wear of tyres, roads and brakes -- even when regenerative braking, EVs still produce particulates from tyre and road wear and need to use 'standad' friction braking each time they come to a complete standstill.

Here endeth the sermon!

Valid point , well made I thought...

You are correct... He was an Emporer and not just a measly King.

K;)
Ps I didn't think this would get this heavy, so don't all fall out about it Chaps and Chapesses. All that heat and all...

No way am I going to fall out about this. I actually find the argument quite fascinating as I bought my EV for the very simple reason that I fancied it and I love high tech things - I’m a bit of a gadget freak. I fully respect both parties views as I don’t hold any particularly strong views either way. I simply love my car!!
On a small correction to GeoffL’s post above one of the things I like about the car is the constant improvement via over the air updates. The latest update gives me true “1 pedal driving” - provided the battery can take regenerative charge the car comes to a complete and very rapid halt via regeneration rather than braking. On my way home from Edinburgh last week (120 miles) I did not touch the brake pedal once. Note that the car is clever enough to switch the brake lights on when slowing above a certain rate of deceleration even though the brakes are not being applied.

Global warming really is the Emperor's new clothes IMO. It seems at best naive - at worst disingenuous - to conclude that a multi-faceted, complex system such as World climate is chiefly driven by a tiny fraction of anthropogenic contribution to a single factor -- i.e. CO2.

Let's put this in perspective: Currently, atmospheric CO2 concentration is about 415 parts per million (i.e. 0.04% of the atmosphere is CO2) -- it's a "trace gas" because there's so little of it. Of this small amount, only 3% is from human activities -- i.e. CO2 from human activities accounts for approx 1 thousandth of one percent of the atmosphere. Transport accounts for approximately 20% of this already tiny figure, which is thus pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. CO2 isn't even a strong greenhouse gas. For example, water vapour is much more important and makes up 0.2% to 4% of the atmosphere -- i.e. five to 100 times as much as CO2.

Now consider that atmospheric CO2 concentration increases with rising temperature and that, generally, changes in CO2 concentration lag (i.e. follow) temperature changes, which implies that rising CO2 levels are not responsible for global warming but rather global warming is responsible for rising CO2 levels. Now consider that there have been several Dansgaard–Oeschger events and Bond events (which are event characterised by rapid warming of the Northern Hemisphere) since the start of the last ice age. All but one (the one we're currently in) occured entirely before industrialisation, and thus the cause of such events cannot be anything to do with industrialisation. Global warming is happening, but it almost certainly isn't anthropogenic and alarmists would be better campaigning for mitigation rather than making Canute-style attempts at stopping it IMO.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back