How old?

andromeda

What is the oldest motorhome on the forum?
Reason for question is that because my 18 years old van seems to be gradually needing more and more spent on it I have been questioning whether another one is needed. However finances being what they are another new to me would not be a lot younger (I had a brief daydream and looked😅😅)and possibly come with it's own issues. Is it better the devil you know or time to get rid?

Barrys is a 94/95 so yous is a nipper by comparison but I think we have much older than that too.

The old ones are less fragile inside and out, new ones are better to drive with more power but expensive to get fixed sometimes.

I wish! 2 welds on the front now
I had 2 inner gaurds hand made for mine when i got it, cost over 2 grand,total van including purchase fitting out and above was just over 6 grand with only 54 th on the clock and a recon engine fitted along with clutch etc.

Best age van nowadays is quite a complex topic with the advent of Low Emmision Zones and Clean Air Certificates. It's become a question of WHERE you are likely to drive as well as WHAT you want to drive :(

It is a shame there are not more Petrol engined Campers around. You may be hurt a bit with the fuel economy, but you wouldn't have the hassles of being charged to drived through more and more zones unless you are going pre-2006. You don't have the nonsense of AdBlue and other "green" features that end up using more fuel and costing you more money.
In the US, there are plenty (probably the majority?) of RVs running Petrol rather than Diesel, albeit extremely large V8 or V10 ones which seem OTT really.

but hydrigen/water will be along soon.
Not if the Government’s Electric Company lobby have anything to say about it.

Although JCB already have one up and ready to go. And from what I remember from the video, the only modification from their existing diesel engine is a modified head and fuel delivery system.

Ooops! There we go. Off on another tangent. Sorry Andromeda

You would be lucky if you got 15mpg out of a petrol engine, thats why there are not any, but hydrigen/water will be along soon.
I get less than 25MPG out of my Diesel MH.
I had a 2.0L RAV4 with a D-Cat emmission system. Although that would have been around 13 years old now, it would be cleaner than the current engines - but the economy was awful for a diesel. If I got over 30MPG, I would be doing well.

VW actually reintroduced Petrol engines into their Transporter range in the UK a few years ago (they never dropped them on the continent) due to driver demand

Not if the Government’s Electric Company lobby have anything to say about it.

Although JCB already have one up and ready to go. And from what I remember from the video, the only modification from their existing diesel engine is a modified head and fuel delivery system.

Ooops! There we go. Off on another tangent. Sorry Andromeda
No problem. I could tangent here onto who is actually getting together resources for 'clean' energy and the cost to human health in countries other than ours.

No problem. I could tangent here onto who is actually getting together resources for 'clean' energy and the cost to human health in countries other than ours.
Out of sight, out of mind.

As far as batteries go, Lead Acid ones are possibly one of the most environmentally sound products, with the Lead being 99% recycled. I don't know if any part of a Lithium battery can be recycled other than the copper cables in them?

(health of the workers in some countries making/refurbishing the lead batteries is a different matter)

Out of sight, out of mind.

As far as batteries go, Lead Acid ones are possibly one of the most environmentally sound products, with the Lead being 99% recycled. I don't know if any part of a Lithium battery can be recycled other than the copper cables in them?

(health of the workers in some countries making/refurbishing the lead batteries is a different matter)
Seen them on the tube letting the acid run down the gutters, all cut open with bare hands.

Mine is 2000 and it's in for a small weld in a couple of weeks, a couple of hundred is not a lot compared to when I sit down to consider an up grade, neither does the leisure battery charge up on electric, thank heaven for solar, other than that we're comfortable with each other! I have more trouble with my own body these days, the battery runs down faster, my chassis could do with a re mould, my Windows leak, my engine isn't bad and the wheels still move, what's not to love about old!

Mine is 2000 and it's in for a small weld in a couple of weeks, a couple of hundred is not a lot compared to when I sit down to consider an up grade, neither does the leisure battery charge up on electric, thank heaven for solar, other than that we're comfortable with each other! I have more trouble with my own body these days, the battery runs down faster, my chassis could do with a re mould, my Windows leak, my engine isn't bad and the wheels still move, what's not to love about old!
What's not to love about old?

Nowt!
Apart from yoof, being wasted on the young. :censored:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back