Motorhomes - PVC or 'Wide-body'

We have had 4 motorhomes in the last 7 years, all coachbuilt and none of them could be considered flimsy.
First was an Autosleeper, this one started creaking above the cab after driving thousands of miles over rough terrain one year. We sold it at 3 years old, it was 2.35m wide, 7.2m long and we never found a road we couldn’t go down.
Next van was an old Swift. Solid as a rock, a little shorter than the Autosleeper but similar width. No creaks or rattles most of the time, loads of room and extremely comfortable.
Next was a wide bodied 33ft Winnebago. Wide body, meaning it was 8’ 6” wide (or 2.59m, not including wing mirrors) Illegal because of the width in many US states and difficult to import here now.
Drove like it floated on a cushion of air, certainly no rattles or creaks, but steered like a hovercraft. A nightmare to keep between white lines and not a vehicle to drive next to a large HGV through the Dartford Tunne, but fantastic to live in.
Our present van, a Burstner is 7.5m long and 2.35 wide. Drives like a dream ( just drove 600 miles from France to a Cambridge in two days). Fewer rattles except on the worst roads and no creaking. We have an Island bed, seating for 8 up front and a proper shower and bathroom than can be closed off from the living area and bedroom at the rear.
You wont get that sort of room or convenience from any PVC, plus, you dont get the incredibly annoying sliding door!
And again, never found a road we couldn’t drive down and we love to visit villages and out of the way places.

... it was 2.35m wide, 7.2m long and we never found a road we couldn’t go down.
Wide body, meaning it was 8’ 6” wide (or 2.59m, not including wing mirrors) Illegal because of the width in many US states and difficult to import here now.
Our present van, a Burstner is 7.5m long and 2.35 wide.
That Winnebago was illegal in the UK as well. I think TPTB stopped turning a blind eye to them a few years back, which is probably why they're hard to import. And sold really cheaply.

Are the widths you quote for the other two the widths of the body, or do they include mirrors and other little bits that stick out?

Well not had a PVC so can’t comment on that but I don’t class mine as flimsy at all. I do get a rattle if I leave the grill pan in the grill so I move that. Apart from that the Sprinter 5 pot must mask everything else 😂😂😂

Only been motoring 6 years and in order have had the following all from new -
Swift c class, disaster ! Back to factory twice for water ingress issues, glad to see the back of it after 18 months at a big financial loss. Apart from leaking in the interior was poorly put together and various fixtures and fittings came loose etc. Ok to drive but poor mpg which I put down to it being a high top / overhead bed variant.
Devon conversion Tempest pvc Renault Master base vehicle. Great build quality, car like to drive but to small internally, lack of storage, water tanks to small, shower / cubicle tiny, fridge / freezer to small, insulation not adequate for winter, beds a chew to make up and they restricted access to toilet which was a problem for an old git like me during the night lol.
Present vehicle Pilote c class low line - great build quality, fixed single beds, internal large water tanks, large fridge / freezer, loads of storage including garage, excellent to drive with no rattles or shaking and the 150 bhp engine is more than adequate.
Its each to their own but for me and my type of use it’s a C or A class every time for space, better insulation etc, etc.

For us the extra width of a wide-body is almost essential
Because we "live in it all summer".
The dining/lounge area at the front is nice and airy with light from the cab Door windows and windscreen as well.
Also more room for a fixed bed and proper shower
The front dining/lounge area can be made into a 2nd bed..but no need.
Thus on a daily basis the only "job" is to make the bed and put a suitable cover on it !

Remember “makeup washes off”

I love that expression and it is so fitting when it comes to motorhomes.

Prior to doing my own self build I looked very/exceptionally closely at quite literally dozens and dozens of professionally converted PVC's as well as indeed innumerable 'flimsies' and was utterly appalled by the hidden materials used, the mish/mash levels of insulation and in general the cosmetics which were all designed to divert your eyes.
Mind you in the main that criticism was/is directed at British built vans and I never discovered any such design or manufacturing problems with vans made by Hymer and similar European mainland companies.

I think you have answered your own question @wildebus since your needs are more for width and space. Our converted PVC was designed for our personal needs ( and budget) and we tried many motorhomes when looking to buy but found those in our price range felt more flimsy than the pvc style. As we then had the very unfortunate purchase of a " rattly, poorly built" PVC , we chose to convert our own so we knew the build was good. This seems to be the best way to get something which fits your needs. As width and length aren't an issue for your use also ( I found both of these to be a problem but that is so personal to everyone). The idea of a small van towing a caravan answers many needs but wouldn't have suited us either. I think the more vehicles one has had, the easier it is to identify what is best for the individual.

I love that expression and it is so fitting when it comes to motorhomes.

Prior to doing my own self build I looked very/exceptionally closely at quite literally dozens and dozens of professionally converted PVC's as well as indeed innumerable 'flimsies' and was utterly appalled by the hidden materials used, the mish/mash levels of insulation and in general the cosmetics which were all designed to divert your eyes.
Mind you in the main that criticism was/is directed at British built vans and I never discovered any such design or manufacturing problems with vans made by Hymer and similar European mainland companies.
Maybe the difference between continental builds and those built on Humberside is, built to a price vs built to make a profit.
Only an opinion of course. More than happy with my Slovenian pcv.

I think you are in a totally different ballgame with that kind of shell!

This is one of my favourite videos showing one of the Autark campers - very friendly Swiss chap who has been travelling the world in his off-road VW T5

Great video and what a sweet van.

What is it that you want Dave? Somewhere to stay when your at shows, working. It can’t be easy, selling all day, then having to sleep amongst your stock.
If that’s the case, a wobblebox, with all it’s creature comforts would be nice. Shut the van doors, and chill.
Alternatively, a purpose built four wheel trailer, with a counter, not unlike the mobile shop, previously mentioned. Fitted with a heater, for those slow days trading, when it’s pi55ing down.
You’ve got a great, although unmistakable, van. Enjoy it. Put the “work” behind you.

Yup. The low-loader versions on FWD Vans such as the Sevel or Movano/Master look like good potential conversion bases (I would prefer the Movano or Master over the Ducato personally given the choice and with the Low-Loaders you do).
I totally agree the movano master low loader almost shouts "convert me" and for my next one I have been trying to decide whether to go that route or stick with the pvc option. The thing leading me back towards another pvc is that I want 2 travel seats in the rear for the grandkids, (probably on some unwin rails). In theory I can't see much difference between a box van and a coach built in terms of construction and safety but don't want to take a big risk. Anyone got any views / experience regarding this aspect please.

That Winnebago was illegal in the UK as well. I think TPTB stopped turning a blind eye to them a few years back, which is probably why they're hard to import. And sold really cheaply.

Are the widths you quote for the other two the widths of the body, or do they include mirrors and other little bits that stick out?
I quoted just the body widths for the other vans, the mirrors were extra, making the Autosleeper and Burstner around 2.69m with mirrors.
The Winnebago was so wide, when we drove onto the channel tunnel train, the wing mirrors hit both the folded swing doors on the sections between the carriages!

I quoted just the body widths for the other vans, the mirrors were extra, making the Autosleeper and Burstner around 2.69m with mirrors.
The Winnebago was so wide, when we drove onto the channel tunnel train, the wing mirrors hit both the folded swing doors on the sections between the carriages!
The tunnel is presumably designed to take the maximum legal width in the UK. That's 2.55 metres, plus 0.4 metres of mirrors. Once you're wider than that, it's illegal to drive in the road (there are exceptions, but they don't apply in this case).
I have to say that I thought some motorhomes looked a bit fat. You've confirmed it. Two metres is wide enough, in my view

When I had my Ultrasport (US RV 12mtr) even tho I had years of HGV and coach experience I was very conscious of the width on other than motorways . I would consider towing a pcv or flimsy as a toad :) In fact I had a Burgman on the rear lift . In anything other than say over 8mtr moho I dont personally see the need for toad as delivery vans seem to find access and parking in towns OK , as do I with my current MoHo. I have a couple of bikes for "exploring" :) JMHO
We all have our own requirements , only negative on a pcv if the size fits you is all those thermal bridges.

The tunnel is presumably designed to take the maximum legal width in the UK. That's 2.55 metres, plus 0.4 metres of mirrors. Once you're wider than that, it's illegal to drive in the road (there are exceptions, but they don't apply in this case).
I have to say that I thought some motorhomes looked a bit fat. You've confirmed it. Two metres is wide enough, in my view
When it was imported it had to undergo an inspection ( SVA) to allow it to be registered because of its width.( The certificate was in the paperwork that came with the vehicle) I think it’s still possible to import a vehicle up to 2.6m wide but it will need to pass the new IVA test, at a huge cost.
Anyway, as you said, it was too fat, and I would never consider buying anything so big again.

What is it that you want Dave? Somewhere to stay when your at shows, working. It can’t be easy, selling all day, then having to sleep amongst your stock.
If that’s the case, a wobblebox, with all it’s creature comforts would be nice. Shut the van doors, and chill.
Alternatively, a purpose built four wheel trailer, with a counter, not unlike the mobile shop, previously mentioned. Fitted with a heater, for those slow days trading, when it’s pi55ing down.
You’ve got a great, although unmistakable, van. Enjoy it. Put the “work” behind you.
Kind of off-topic, but a mobile shop type solution is a great idea and I have seen trailers at shows perfect for that, but ... there is a problem ... Regulations. The UK Govt (be it DOT, DVLA, VOSA, it really doesn't matter who) have some very overbearing rules when it comes to certain vehicle types and combinations. For transport companies and other big companies it is no problem as they have the volume that means they would do what these rules state anyway (if they were professional), but the same rules apply to a single vehicle operator and are overly oppressive for no good reason, which is one reason why the vast majority of small businesses run sub 3.5t vans to not have to deal with them. (it is not just for driving license reasons).

When I do my events, I have everything out the van once setup so I can forget about that when the door is shut (it is kind of one of my "rules". I have seen the guys who do shows from a standard van and just have a mattress in the back for overnight. Sorry, but not for me!)

I like my van but the OH is not keen, and the fact there is no shower room is a problem now as shared facilities at a campsite are a no-no with this current pandemic situation - and in reality that situation is not going to change for many years IMO. So van is fine for show weekends, or overnighting, but for actual holidays, not really.

I looked at it, but didn't do a shower room as they take up so much space for so little time used - and in a small space, especially with a limited width, that room is precious. I'm going to have to revisit that idea I think and see if I can come up with some compromise but I don't think it will be more than a compromise.

Even in a coachbuilt, I think (IMO) the shower room can seem to take up so much floor space and seem a little oppressive (I just prefer a low profile when it comes to furniture from front to back and have lots of windows rather than a large floor to roof enclosure in the middle).
To me, the end bathroom is the ideal as it doesn't encroach on the width at all, but having access to an end bathroom while also having certain other features I would want is impossible in a PVC from what I have seen.
The best layout I have seen in a coachbuilt is one like this van has -
(I believe Mr Torchy on the forum has one of these?).
My thoughts on this layout was reinforced last week when a Forum Member dropped by with his 2017 Elddis 185 and to my eyes, it was nigh on the ideal layout (not perfect but close as I have seen). End Washroom; Permanent Beds; Seperate seating area,
I think I could do this layout in a low-loader box AND add in the extra feature I would like but which is missing in the above.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back