Motorhomes - PVC or 'Wide-body'

Don't buy an Elddiss. They are the flimsy ones.
My motorhome was previously owned by someone who sold mobility scooters. They fitted in the boot, and he towed a trailer with scooters in it.
The dealer said the previous owner found it too big.
The truth was probably slightly different: if you use it to carry goods, it stops being a PHGV and turns into an HGV. Needs a full HGV MOT, tachograph etc.
He wisely downsized to something under 3.5T. That way he could tow a goods trailer with less legal complication.
You should take that into account when looking for your next vehicle.

I totally agree the movano master low loader almost shouts "convert me" and for my next one I have been trying to decide whether to go that route or stick with the pvc option. The thing leading me back towards another pvc is that I want 2 travel seats in the rear for the grandkids, (probably on some unwin rails). In theory I can't see much difference between a box van and a coach built in terms of construction and safety but don't want to take a big risk. Anyone got any views / experience regarding this aspect please.
I can't see any reason why you cannot add unwin rails onto the floor of a box shell as long as they have appropriate underfloor strengthening plates.
I had a ex-motability VW T4 which had been adapted with some unwin rails and also a fixed extra seat. In that case the floor would have been too flimsy (they are normally only a single skin sheet) and very thick steel plates were fitted above and below the floor to provide a very strong floor.
This floor aspect often gets ignored and there are people out there who just bolt down seats to the thin single sheet floor of a panel van and add no strengthing at all. I don't know about the ducato vans but if you were to look at VW T5s, there are two different floors - one for the panel vans, and one for the versions with rear seating (Shuttles, Caravelles and Kombis) which have strengthed floors out the factory. VW also do a 'hybrid' version - a Panel Van but with the strengthened floor that is specifically designed for - and only sold to registered - campervan converters.
Good Seat Makers, such as the company that make the very good RIB Seat produce a special underchassis mounting frame to make it as safe as possible.

I have some photos of the fixings used on my T4
This is the Unwin rails and all the bracketry used underneath the van
Versa_1 by David, on Flickr
And some plates that the seats were fixed to
Versa_2 by David, on Flickr
(there was additional plates underneath as well not in this photo)

Last edited:
If it’s only the bathroom that’s making you think Dave just get a toilet tent, you can put a shower and toilet in that and have van as you want it. I believe this solution is acceptable at present on sites.

Failing that you could also convert a Luton, horse box or build on a 7.5 tonnes if you want to do your own 👍

Don't buy an Elddiss. They are the flimsy ones.
My motorhome was previously owned by someone who sold mobility scooters. They fitted in the boot, and he towed a trailer with scooters in it.
The dealer said the previous owner found it too big.
The truth was probably slightly different: if you use it to carry goods, it stops being a PHGV and turns into an HGV. Needs a full HGV MOT, tachograph etc.
He wisely downsized to something under 3.5T. That way he could tow a goods trailer with less legal complication.
You should take that into account when looking for your next vehicle.
This is a common misconception. If the train weight is over 3.5t, then it is no different to having a >3.5t vehicle in many aspects

If it’s only the bathroom that’s making you think Dave just get a toilet tent, you can put a shower and toilet in that and have van as you want it. I believe this solution is acceptable at present on sites.

Failing that you could also convert a Luton, horse box or build on a 7.5 tonnes if you want to do your own 👍
I do have a pop-up shower tent in fact and it is handy. but not very "female-friendly", shall we say.

Nida would not agrre to 5 or 6 months without a proper toilet and shower.
I am also very pleased with it..
Sod running in the cold to a cold washroom/toilet block and indeed getting a cold/bronchitis !
Yes had to visit the doctor !

This is a common misconception. If the train weight is over 3.5t, then it is no different to having a >3.5t vehicle in many aspects
He bought a Bongo, to get the train weight well down. I should have written "well under 3.5T" to be pedantic.

He bought a Bongo, to get the train weight well down. I should have written "well under 3.5T" to be pedantic.
Pedantic? Surly not.

not pedantic. relevant.
There are countless people breaking the (overly oppressive) rules by towing a trailer behind their commercial vans which makes their train weight over 3.5t and while they usually think they are ok as their License allows it, there are numerous other rules that means they are not (and it doesn't matter if the trailer is full or empty or the van is full or empty, it is the total possible weight that is used)
I don't have an issue with rules generally where they serve a genuine purpose, but those don't.

The OH not keen on current van. Never fight the unbeatable. Do as she asks. You’ll not win. And even if you did, you’d find winning expensive. Eg. It’s cheaper to keep her.
Having said all that, despite being small and bijou, my shower in van is, although not great, pleasant 👌

not pedantic. relevant.
There are countless people breaking the (overly oppressive) rules by towing a trailer behind their commercial vans which makes their train weight over 3.5t and while they usually think they are ok as their License allows it, there are numerous other rules that means they are not (and it doesn't matter if the trailer is full or empty or the van is full or empty, it is the total possible weight that is used)
I don't have an issue with rules generally where they serve a genuine purpose, but those don't.
It's the other way round. Motorhomes get a special exemption from the rules that apply to goods vehicles of the same size. Thank goodness.
Trailers are really quite dangerous things and if anything, I think the rules are too lax.

One area that is often forgotten is how much space can be exploited under the floor. If you like a higher roof for showering, the floor can often be sunk to help. To keep the shower room small, expect to sit on the toilet to shower. Keeps to toilet clean too.

An American RV was mentioned earlier. Reminded me of this photo I took last year of an American RV and a European van ....
1595858506047.png
only thing they have in common is an engine at the back and a steering wheel at the front!

I saw a friends burstner last week and was horrified how much it had degraded in the year I last seen it. The panels over the cab were splitting and it had been badly attacked with mastic, I guess to stop it leaking. He said much of the wooden framing had rotted due to the leeks.
His friend has a newer one that's needed extensive welding under the wheel arches.
I do wonder if they are intended for regular use?

That Hobby 750 reminds me of the old GMC Motorhome. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for the looks
1595860042800.png

I saw a friends burstner last week and was horrified how much it had degraded in the year I last seen it. The panels over the cab were splitting and it had been badly attacked with mastic, I guess to stop it leaking. He said much of the wooden framing had rotted due to the leeks.
His friend has a newer one that's needed extensive welding under the wheel arches.
I do wonder if they are intended for regular use?
The answer to that is no. They are built for two or three weeks holiday each year and a few weekends. Didn’t someone state the number of weeks use in a Hymer or other expensive make brand? 6 months seems to ring a bell but I can’t remember who, where or when the conversation was.
Saying that mine is still quite solid and now 13 years old with over 100k miles on it. Soon be run in 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back