My campervan build

HTF

Hi all.

After a 1979 Hymer Bedford and 1999 Pössl Peugeot, I thought it was time to venture on a self build. In plain Covid confinement I found the perfect van for the project. A 2015 Citroen Jumper L4H2 with 150 HpJ1 (1).jpegJ1 (2).jpeg

I wanted a configuration with a permanent bed (tired of having to lower the table for a small nap), good sized bathroom, table zone using swivel front seats and a kitchen away from the front door.

It has a window on each side at the seating area. one on the sliding door and one on the other side ;) as per regulations.

Lhd Trev and he said DMV which is for our Merican friends.

Last edited:
In Portugal now there are only 2 classes of "motorised" leisure vehicles. Special sleeping vans and motorhomes. Our motoring department which is called DGV, state that no special equipment and height is necessary for the sleeping version but for the motorhome there must be enough sleeping space for all permissible ocupantes of the vehicle, cooking area with enough height to stand upright, toilet facilities and as mentioned one window on each side of the passenger seating area with seat belts.

In my case the extra seating area is just behind the driver seat on the left and sliding door on the right.

The van changed from 3 to 4 places and is registered as a motorhome and insured as such.

In Portugal now there are only 2 classes of "motorised" leisure vehicles. Special sleeping vans and motorhomes. Our motoring department which is called DGV, state that no special equipment and height is necessary for the sleeping version but for the motorhome there must be enough sleeping space for all permissible ocupantes of the vehicle, cooking area with enough height to stand upright, toilet facilities and as mentioned one window on each side of the passenger seating area with seat belts.

In my case the extra seating area is just behind the driver seat on the left and sliding door on the right.

The van changed from 3 to 4 places and is registered as a motorhome and insured as such.
Sorry blind me i thought you were in uk, good luck and looks fab.

The first MOT with the van in my possession was still a few months away so I could't remove the separation from the cargo area so, I started with what I could do. No problem with the skylights but couldn't touch the sides. I removed the wall to wall carpet that came with the van, painted the panels with heavy chassis anti chip paint and stuck some aluminium/tar roof coating to dampen vibrations. The same was done with the roof and then covered with some EPS panels.C0.jpegC1.jpegC2.jpegC3.jpegC4.jpeg5.jpeg

Also made the step and triple reverse camera support. I have an Android radio so I used the reverse functionality to view the 3 cameras selected by a switch

C6.jpegC7.jpegC8.jpegC9.jpegC10.jpegC11.jpeg

A little about myself. I live in Portugal, a little south of Lisbon and I work as an Electrical Maintenance Engineer at a big recycling plant. This is where I got many materials that I used in my build. My van is controlled by some industrial automation systems and when on the road it's permanently connected to the Internet via a 4G router. All systems can be monitored through my smartphone from anywhere. Fortunately the mobile Internet functions very well in Portugal to such extent that I don't use regular TV. I use a larger tablet and have the same service I have through cable at home.
Powerwise, I don't need to connect to the AC supply since my 450W solar panel with a 40A MPPT regulator keep my 3 12V 95Ahr AGM batteries topped up.

When I did my MOT which is valid for a year, I could strip the cargo separator, remove the seats and install some new recycled ones. The front seats were from a Renault Megane Coupe and the double one from a Citroen Jumpy. I made my own swivel bases. I have a small Chinese laser cutter that will cut wood and acrylic and so I made a big bearing for the seat. The original driver seat had a pneumatic suspension and I found one from a bus for the passenger. For the back seat I made a metal structure to bolt to the chassis. This space is reserved for my batteries and other electrical stuff. Since the back and front floors are at different levels, there will be a step.

20210109_151144.jpg20210109_155018.jpg20210110_153555.jpg20210126_180349.jpg20210131_135232.jpg20210201_181922.jpg

Hi there HTF

You might want to think about joining the FREE to join Motorhome Builder that Phil set up some years ago for the self builders amongst us https://motorhomebuilder.com/ .

It is quite a small community of dedicated people who have either built, building or planning to build their own vans, some have done several builds and other like me made theirs many years ago and enjoy giving hard earned help and advice to people like you.

The only comment I feel I ought to make about your build is the quite alarming lack of insulation which is as equally important in the summer when it is hot or in the freezing months of the winter when condensation is such a very great problem.

I hope to see you over on Motorhome Builder.

Phil

Hi there HTF

You might want to think about joining the FREE to join Motorhome Builder that Phil set up some years ago for the self builders amongst us https://motorhomebuilder.com/ .

It is quite a small community of dedicated people who have either built, building or planning to build their own vans, some have done several builds and other like me made theirs many years ago and enjoy giving hard earned help and advice to people like you.

The only comment I feel I ought to make about your build is the quite alarming lack of insulation which is as equally important in the summer when it is hot or in the freezing months of the winter when condensation is such a very great problem.

I hope to see you over on Motorhome Builder.

Phil
Hi,
I will look into it. As for the insulation, I think it's ok. This summer we had some very hot days and the temperature inside never went above uncomfortable. You will see later what I did to cope with the hot summer nights ;)

Next came the dining area floor. Since the side walls of the van are not straight I did't want to line up all the walls as many people do so, this was done in a way to take advantage of every available width.

20210213_113328.jpg20210214_113359.jpg20210219_183500.jpg20210220_172306.jpg20210220_173621.jpg

Time to install the left window and skylights. I made some Nylon spacers to contour the roof profile and the trim panels are made of aircraft aluminium covered with vinyl. Aircraft aluminium was used all over the build.

20210306_094005.jpg20210228_152519.jpg20210307_091648.jpg20210307_100454.jpg20210320_112236.jpg20210320_114544.jpg20210320_165242.jpg20210321_063454.jpg20210321_112331.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back