Securing Your EHU Lead When Out And About

Securing Your EHU Lead When Out And About

On the WC site I've suggested a method of securing an EHU lead to your Moho and for completeness thought I'd include it here.

1. Remove either the plug or the socket from your EHU flex
2. Pass the flex through the middle link of a short length of chain or other steel ring through which the plug and/or socket cannot pass. (The chain or ring should preferably be welded link type and galvanised)
3. Reattach the plug or socket that you originally removed from the flex. You should now have a free-running chain or ring on your flex
4. The chain or ring can now be taken close to an anchor point on your Moho and padlocked in place. (The tow eyes are a good location for padlocking)

I'm aware that this isn't thief-proof but is a reasonably cheap an easy deterrent to casual scroats. Not many carry insulated cutters and unwiring a live flex isn't for the faint hearted.

I hope this saves someone having to buy a replacement EHU cable. If anyone wants help rewiring their flex along these lines I'm happy to help at any WC or MH event. I may even have some free chain to bring along should you want a short length but let me know beforehand!

Colin :smile::smile::Slightly_Smiling_Fa

I never even chained the Honda generator let alone the cable !

I never give that one a second thought. If I was bothered I would just run over the cable so it was trapped under a wheel. Yes I know I could damage the cable.

I think that's quite a good idea anyway, but

Full Member;n3554 said:
Not many carry insulated cutters and unwiring a live flex isn't for the faint hearted.

You'd pull the other end out of the socket first surely lol.

Never done it myself, but folk have been known to forget about being hooked up and drive off - it just occurs to me that this attachment might result in more damage than otherwise in such circumstances.
As wild campers, a hookup is something we normally only use a couple of times a year, so we might be prone to such forgetfulness!

A good idea if your lead's used regularly. We've taken ours out of the van cos I can't remember the last time it was used.

Full Member;n3554 said:
On the WC site I've suggested a method of securing an EHU lead to your Moho and for completeness thought I'd include it here.

1. Remove either the plug or the socket from your EHU flex
2. Pass the flex through the middle link of a short length of chain or other steel ring through which the plug and/or socket cannot pass. (The chain or ring should preferably be welded link type and galvanised)
3. Reattach the plug or socket that you originally removed from the flex. You should now have a free-running chain or ring on your flex
4. The chain or ring can now be taken close to an anchor point on your Moho and padlocked in place. (The tow eyes are a good location for padlocking)

I'm aware that this isn't thief-proof but is a reasonably cheap an easy deterrent to casual scroats. Not many carry insulated cutters and unwiring a live flex isn't for the faint hearted.

I hope this saves someone having to buy a replacement EHU cable. If anyone wants help rewiring their flex along these lines I'm happy to help at any WC or MH event. I may even have some free chain to bring along should you want a short length but let me know beforehand!

You could just padlock the cable to the camper, but then I carry insulated cutters :Smiling_Devil_Emoji:Smiling_Devil_Emoji:Smiling_Devil_Emoji:Smiling_Devil_Emoji

bartman;n3579 said:
Never done it myself, but folk have been known to forget about being hooked up and drive off - it just occurs to me that this attachment might result in more damage than otherwise in such circumstances.
As wild campers, a hookup is something we normally only use a couple of times a year, so we might be prone to such forgetfulness!

well my hook up lead goes over my wing mirrors on the way to hook up socket so isee it when getting in the van and when drivng off as you should mirror signal manouver

bartman;n3579 said:

Some (like me in winter time) use the EHU cable when on the estate at home.

Full Member;n3605 said:
Some (like me in winter time) use the EHU cable when on the estate at home.

But surely Colin the hired help could keep an eye on your cable for you. ?

Campervanannie;n3627 said:
But surely Colin the hired help could keep an eye on your cable for you. ?

The staff are there to work and make a contribution to the overall efficiency and running of the estate. Sitting watching an EHU cable hardly fits in with their job description.
Of course, north of Watford things may be different. I'm happy to make an effort to be inclusive, Chuck, but there are limits, don't ya know.

Colin :biggrin::biggrin::Slightly_Smiling_Fa

he has the hired help pedaling a genarator he doesnt want to pay for electric

Full Member;n3638 said:
The staff are there to work and make a contribution to the overall efficiency and running of the estate. Sitting watching an EHU cable hardly fits in with their job description.
Of course, north of Watford things may be different. I'm happy to make an effort to be inclusive, Chuck, but there are limits, don't ya know.

Can I just point out darling that somewhere north of Watford the word CHUCK may be used as a term of endearment but up ere it's chick or luv chuck as far as I am aware is part of a drill. ??

Campervanannie;n3652 said:
Can I just point out darling that somewhere north of Watford the word CHUCK may be used as a term of endearment but up ere it's chick or luv chuck as far as I am aware is part of a drill. ??

Many thanks for the enlightenment, Chick. I must have misunderstood the pronunciation. (I hope you know all this is tongue in cheek, Luv!).

Anyway, Simon has just called to say the plane is ready so I must (literally) fly. I'll try to maintain contact with the real world from the villa as and when the satellite internet is functioning. Sometimes the high temperatures at this time of the year affect it's efficacy, don't ya know.

Last edited:
teejay;n3654 said:
I just lock the side locker that the EHU connects up in.

Does your EHU cable pass through or around the side locker door in some way when in use? Most Mohos have a plug on the outside of the habitation area. The idea suggested in this thread is for EHU cables in such a situation.

Colin :smile::smile: :Slightly_Smiling_Fa

Full Member;n3660 said:
Does your EHU cable pass through or around the side locker door in some way when in use? Most Mohos have a plug on the outside of the habitation area. The idea suggested in this thread is for EHU cables in such a situation.

Colin :smile::smile: :Slightly_Smiling_Fa

Hi. No, as with most caravans and some motorhomes, the EHU hook up on the vehicle is fitted inside an outside side locker. In the bottom of the locker door, there is a ready made cut out in the door for the cable to pass it and still be able to close the door. Hope that's clear for you.

teejay;n3662 said:
Hi. No, as with most caravans and some motorhomes, the EHU hook up on the vehicle is fitted inside an outside side locker. In the bottom of the locker door, there is a ready made cut out in the door for the cable to pass it and still be able to close the door. Hope that's clear for you.

Yep - got it now. Thanks, teejay.

:Airplane_Emoji:
Full Member;n3659 said:
Many thanks for the enlightenment, Chick. I must have misunderstood the pronunciation. (I hope you know all this is tongue in cheek, Luv!).

Anyway, Simon has just called to say the plane is ready so I must (literally) fly. I'll try to maintain contact with the real world from the villa as and when the satellite internet is functioning. Sometimes the high temperatures at this time of the year affect it's efficacy, don't ya know.

Give my love to Simon and land safely :Airplane_Emoji:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back