Securing Your EHU Lead When Out And About

wildebus;n9025 said:
Parking on grass the cable wouldn't suffer from being driven on. Hard standing, maybe a slight possibility? Could get one of those rubber wedge things for it if a concern.
I might get a foot of cable and drive on top and leave for a while and then strip down and check.

The original idea is quick, cheap and doesn't really need any experimentation, wildebus. If you decide to do the trial you describe please let us know how you get on.

Colin ???

wildebus;n9025 said:
Parking on grass the cable wouldn't suffer from being driven on. Hard standing, maybe a slight possibility? Could get one of those rubber wedge things for it if a concern.
I might get a foot of cable and drive on top and leave for a while and then strip down and check.

I bet one whole shiny pound you find no damage. :Money_Bag_Emoji::Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

bartman;n3579 said:
Never done it myself, but folk have been known to forget about being hooked up and drive off -

I always look in both wing mirrors before setting off and would see a bloody great orange lead sticking out of the side of the motorhome :Surprised_Face_Emoj

Fazerloz;n9028 said:
I bet one whole shiny pound you find no damage. :Money_Bag_Emoji::Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

If you also give me 100:1 odds as well (worth a penny to you :) )

Fazerloz;n9028 said:

You must be super confident offering such high stakes, Fazerloz.
This could cost you dear. Especially since you have no control over the trial or it's evaluation.
Rash, very rash indeed.

Colin ???

*****;n9075 said:
We carry our dirty ramps on the scooter rack. This saves cleaning them or getting insect infestation in the garage. Members said they would get stollen, but after about 6 years we still have them!:Smiling_Face_Emoji:

Oh I forgot about the cable.
Personally, I would not drive over my cable.
I have seen cables across hard standings and across the rough stone road ways, (not public roads)and for me this can result in the cables getting cut.
We have also seen cable guards fitted or a cable threaded through a hose pipe to protect the cable. These seem a good idea!

Who on earth did you expect to steal filthy, insect infested Moho ramps? I'd say that's a low risk item, Graham.

Colin ???

Wooie1958;n9086 said:
I always look in both wing mirrors before setting off and would see a bloody great orange lead sticking out of the side of the motorhome :Surprised_Face_Emoj

What's a wing mirror?

Colin ???

Full Member;n9027 said:
The original idea is quick, cheap and doesn't really need any experimentation, wildebus. If you decide to do the trial you describe please let us know how you get on.

Colin ???

I have used padlocks before on vehicles and had to grind them off as got rusted up. (On spare wheel cover on 4x4 for example), so wary of them, but ... I do have a potential requirement for one on another security-related MH thing. I will do a thread on that and welcome your input and suggestions on that once posted.
I will do the test I think but won't be for a little while as once started don't want to move the van for say a week or longer to give the test a decent time. (Personally I expect zero signs of a problem but I do love checking these kind of things !)

*****;n9149 said:
Hey Colin, read again:Tongue_Out_Emoji_wi it was other forum members who said they would be stolen:Smiling_Face_Emoji:

They are also cracked, but sometimes are clean:Wink_Emoji:

Points taken, Graham.

Colin ???

wildebus;n9148 said:
I have used padlocks before on vehicles and had to grind them off as got rusted up. (On spare wheel cover on 4x4 for example), so wary of them, but ... I do have a potential requirement for one on another security-related MH thing. I will do a thread on that and welcome your input and suggestions on that once posted.
I will do the test I think but won't be for a little while as once started don't want to move the van for say a week or longer to give the test a decent time. (Personally I expect zero signs of a problem but I do love checking these kind of things !)

That's great, wildebus. I believe many members would be interested in a quantified assessment of potential EHU cable damage caused in this way. I also look forward to your new security-related thread.

Colin ???

*****;n9155 said:
Colin, it wasn't my idea about storing on the scooter rack, I first did it on the cycle rack and got the idea from a bloke who told me the had his M/H garage infested after putting them back inside. He thought the heat made insects eggs develop quicker. He had to completely empty and clean the garage and places in the van.

It's a good idea, Graham. If I ever use my ramps (!) I'll probably store them on the bike rack if filthy and insect infested.

Colin ???

*****;n9160 said:
the thing is Colin, and I am sure you will know, but the ramps have so many underside crevices, it would be very difficult to completely clean, without the use of a tap, and then they are wet, and the owner is probably in a rush to drive away. Takes less time just to put them on the rack and let the rain wash them:Shyly_Smiling_Face_

Works for me:Smiling_Face_Emoji:

Definitely with you on this one, Graham.

Colin ???

Full Member;n9143 said:
You must be super confident offering such high stakes, Fazerloz.
This could cost you dear. Especially since you have no control over the trial or it's evaluation.
Rash, very rash indeed.

Colin ???

Its only a matter of having a little faith in someone you have never met doing the right thing and not having your trousers down.
But I will spit chips if I lose a whole shiny pound coin.
:b0212:

Fazerloz;n9169 said:
Its only a matter of having a little faith in someone you have never met doing the right thing and not having your trousers down.
But I will spit chips if I lose a whole shiny pound coin.
:b0212:

I would totally understand your emotional outcry should the unexpected happen, Fazerloz.
We can only wait for the outcome now - and hope that you aren't declared bankrupt.
Fingers crossed for you.

Colin ???

If someone were to buy my snowmen I might be able to avoid bankruptcy should all go wrong.

Antiquesam;n4129 said:
A very good idea if you are worried about theft. Personally I can't understand people putting wheelclamps on the van or caravan in a caravan site. Perhaps I have too much faith in others, and an old van of course.

I think the insurance company demand that you use wheel clamp on a caravan anyway. Not so much a MH

I have had slugs in the van presumably when hubby put the chocks In The van without checking there was nothing hidden in the levels. I don't have chocks now having given them away to downsize.
we used to leave the the cables trailing across some Aires to get EHU.. That was on gravel.
One day a French man did that on tarmac and another van drove over it and manoevered his van around and broke the cable on the ground exposing the live wires rendering it useless.
After some exchanging of words the other man drove off leaving the first man with an unusable EHU cable.

Fazerloz;n9187 said:
If someone were to buy my snowmen I might be able to avoid bankruptcy should all go wrong.
I'm also selling my snowmen if anyone is interested. Come get your bargain quick before the warmer weather arrives

Ffion;n11893 said:
I have had slugs in the van presumably when hubby put the chocks In The van without checking there was nothing hidden in the levels. I don't have chocks now having given them away to downsize.
we used to leave the the cables trailing across some Aires to get EHU.. That was on gravel.
One day a French man did that on tarmac and another van drove over it and manoevered his van around and broke the cable on the ground exposing the live wires rendering it useless.
After some exchanging of words the other man drove off leaving the first man with an unusable EHU cable.

How considerate! It was on a French aire that I knew of an EHU lead being stolen. Any of these things can happen anywhere though.

Colin :smile::smile::smile:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back