Securing Your EHU Lead When Out And About

Not on a hook up that much but personally never heard of anybody having their cable stolen but if somebody wants to take it there isn't much you can do, if the cable can be unplugged from the power supply then it would simply be a matter of cutting the cable however you secure it.

As mentioned by more than one, the OP may not be appropriate for you and would only deter a casual thief who wants an undamaged EHU cable, plug and socket.
I've been on a French aire when a cable was stolen. The French often use a standard wind-up reel of cable (the type you'd use around the house) and add a short lead consisting of standard mains plug and Moho socket to connect reel to the Moho. Presumably that's a cheaper or more convenient option for them?

Colin ???

Last edited:
Banned member;n3562 said:
I never even chained the Honda generator let alone the cable !

That's an interesting approach, Charlie but do be aware that even large RVs have been known to be targeted by thieves and a high value, portable and readily traded item such as a generator might also be at risk. Difficult to believe but apparently true.

Colin ???

Full Member;n3896 said:
That's an interesting approach, Charlie but do be aware that even large RVs have been known to be targeted by thieves and a high value, portable and readily traded item such as a generator might also be at risk. Difficult to believe but apparently true.

Colin ???

That's why I won't be locking my door on anything we buy in future after the feckers did the 10k worth of damage getting in !

well if doing a self build the put socket behind fridge easy to get at an easy to put grill back on

A very good idea if you are worried about theft. Personally I can't understand people putting wheelclamps on the van or caravan in a caravan site. Perhaps I have too much faith in others, and an old van of course.

Antiquesam;n4129 said:
A very good idea if you are worried about theft. Personally I can't understand people putting wheelclamps on the van or caravan in a caravan site. Perhaps I have too much faith in others, and an old van of course.

Makes them happy and we get a laugh watching them although not as much fun as watching the awning brigade ?
It's amazing how many actually put up an awning for just a weekend even in winter ?

I thread my cable through the things that are out side my Motorbike / trailer / push bike / chairs etc. If someone unplugs the cable my "lost power"alarm goes off. You can buy a plug in "lost power" alarm for under £5 on Ebay. Also warns you if the power has failed and your beer is getting warm.

Talking of EHU's i have finally moved house and can now park off-road and securely with access to a 240v socket - so do you folks keep you vans hooked up to 240v so that the inbuilt charger is always keeping the batteries up to a good level when the van is not going to be used more than maybe once a week....

Delicagirl;n8858 said:
Talking of EHU's i have finally moved house and can now park off-road and securely with access to a 240v socket - so do you folks keep you vans hooked up to 240v so that the inbuilt charger is always keeping the batteries up to a good level when the van is not going to be used more than maybe once a week....

This winter for the first time I've left my Moho connected to the mains so that I can keep the interior above about 10°C and (hopefully) stop condensation. I don't have any circuits running in this condition and the vehicle and leisure batteries are virtually new so I have turned my on-board charger off despite it being an 'intelligent' one that, in theory, could be left on to float charge the batteries. That said I plan to either use the Moho occasionally through the winter and/or turn the on-board charger on for a day perhaps once every three or four weeks.
Other more knowledgeable people will be along presently but I hope this helps in the meantime.

Colin ???

Last edited:
Thats a very good idea. But I've never noticed anyone else taking precautions either and often wondered if any are stolen

witzend;n8889 said:
Thats a very good idea. But I've never noticed anyone else taking precautions either and often wondered if any are stolen

As described earlier in this thread, witzend, I've known EHU leads to be stolen in France.

Colin ???

not something I ever considered happening, though I am sure it happens as some people will nick anything (had a set of dust caps stolen on a Sunday Morning outside a Church), but if I felt the need, I think I would follow this idea ...
Fazerloz;n3568 said:
I never give that one a second thought. If I was bothered I would just run over the cable so it was trapped under a wheel. Yes I know I could damage the cable.

At times I do wonder when do some stop worrying about things and actually start to enjoy what they are doing.

Trapping the EHU cable under a wheel would certainly make it more difficult to steal. Not quite so sure the cable would stay in good condition if left trapped under a wheel for a longer period of time.

Colin ???

Fazerloz;n8986 said:
At times I do wonder when do some stop worrying about things and actually start to enjoy what they are doing.

I guess it's horses for courses. Some have a very laid back view about securing property against theft and others wish to reduce the probability of theft to a very low level. It's not necessarily about worrying and not enjoying oneself.
I tend to take more care in higher risk situations and with higher value, easily traded on items.
So, for instance, I wouldn't leave a laptop on the front seat of the Moho with the door unlocked in a dodgy area of any city.
On a remote location where I'm nearby I may well do so.

Colin ???

Full Member;n9004 said:
Trapping the EHU cable under a wheel would certainly make it more difficult to steal. Not quite so sure the cable would stay in good condition if left trapped under a wheel for a longer period of time.

Colin ???

Its quite resilient stuff is a good quality cable if there is nothing sharp about. I wouldn't worry about it. :Smiling_Face_with_T

Fazerloz;n9013 said:
Its quite resilient stuff is a good quality cable if there is nothing sharp about. I wouldn't worry about it. :Smiling_Face_with_T

I'm sure you're right, Fazerloz. I tend to view EHU cable as low risk of theft so don't secure mine. The original idea occurred to me when I was making up a new (black, low visibility) cable for use at home on the drive. I was aware that some have cables in more exposed situations for long periods of time so offered the original low cost, easily implemented idea to those who may find it of interest.

Colin ???

Parking on grass the cable wouldn't suffer from being driven on. Hard standing, maybe a slight possibility? Could get one of those rubber wedge things for it if a concern.
I might get a foot of cable and drive on top and leave for a while and then strip down and check.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back