Shurflo pump running on

It isn't at all noisy, you can't hear it unless it's quiet and sat right above it.

Yeh but Kev's pump is actually working it's just making a bit of extra noise, all he needs is some ear plugs, cheaper than new pump and easier to fit!
You may have noticed mine was actually working as well ;)

I switch mine off a lot of the time and at night, when I had a new pump fitted by an MCEA man this is what he advised me to do, never knew why but its become a habit now.

You may have noticed mine was actually working as well ;)
Yeh, I noticed. Funny but I need priming with several coffees every morning before I'm able to do anything but also claim that 'I work' fine. TOH would disagree with you though!

Mine will come on randomly as if it’s rebuilding pressure then go off again. When it first started doing it I thought I may have a slight leak somewhere but have never found one. I suspect mine may be because I don’t have correct pressure in the accumulator. All my water stuff is under the fixed bed with the diesel heater so temperatures under there can vary.

I just got in the habit of turning the pump on when I want to use it then off again when done

Mine will come on randomly as if it’s rebuilding pressure then go off again. When it first started doing it I thought I may have a slight leak somewhere but have never found one. I suspect mine may be because I don’t have correct pressure in the accumulator. All my water stuff is under the fixed bed with the diesel heater so temperatures under there can vary.

I just got in the habit of turning the pump on when I want to use it then off again when done
If you have an accumulator and it is in the form of an Expansion Vessel (I assume?), you can simply use a standard air pump to repressurise it. Might be worth doing that?

Always a good idea to turn the power to the pump off anyway as a habit :) saves a flood if a pipe springs a leak or disconnects itself.

When we park the van up at home I make sure the pump is off and also open all the taps as the system will have about a mug full of water still available to leak, guess how I know.

I used to do a lot of yachting and the pumps were under the cabin bunkers. Used to "chatter" every 2 hrs or so leading to disturbed nights. Same thing started to happen in our Benimar so I installed a simple switch to isolate the pump. Only ever switch it on when we use it.

We've never had a van that didn't have a desiccated pump switch on the control panel.

I have been tempted to add an expansion vessel in my Motorhome so I can use the bathroom tap for a handwash without having to remember to turn the pump switch back on. Not sure if it is that worthwhile to bother though?

Bleedin presumptive text.

Pretty sure you'll find the non return valve is letting by very slightly so the pressure drops over a period of time. The water goes back into the tank so obviously the leak doesn't show.

So it's not a none return valve then, it's oh all right then if you insist valve :D :D

If you have an accumulator and it is in the form of an Expansion Vessel (I assume?), you can simply use a standard air pump to repressurise it. Might be worth doing that?

Always a good idea to turn the power to the pump off anyway as a habit :) saves a flood if a pipe springs a leak or disconnects itself.
The only reason I haven’t done it is because I have to remove the mattress to get access. Can do it on my own but it’s a bit of a workout lol
I used to have a cycle pump with a pressure gauge in the van when I carried my handcycle round. Only have my little electric compressor I use on the van, will get round to doing it one day but it’s only done it since I fitted the new pump a year or so back.

You post about the accumulator. I have an accumulator on cold and expansion tank on hot side. Both the same SureJust devices and both at same pressure. I didn’t fit them, was done when the van was converted to diesel heater and calorifier. I believe the accumulator is to remove pulsing at the taps but as you say it also provides some water with pump off 👍

The only reason I haven’t done it is because I have to remove the mattress to get access. Can do it on my own but it’s a bit of a workout lol
I used to have a cycle pump with a pressure gauge in the van when I carried my handcycle round. Only have my little electric compressor I use on the van, will get round to doing it one day but it’s only done it since I fitted the new pump a year or so back.

You post about the accumulator. I have an accumulator on cold and expansion tank on hot side. Both the same SureJust devices and both at same pressure. I didn’t fit them, was done when the van was converted to diesel heater and calorifier. I believe the accumulator is to remove pulsing at the taps but as you say it also provides some water with pump off 👍
yup, that pulsing when you only open a tap a little can be annoying.

just an FYI for anyone thinking of this.... shop around ... I bought one from Toolstation for my Zebra Camper to go with the instant heater and I then saw the identical vessel on Amazon at half the price! (Bought that and returned the Toolstation one ;) )

Certainly an odd one guys. Must admit I'm quite intrigued:unsure:
Does the whirring ever start up on it's own or does the pump always have to have run immediately before?
No cause found! It can happen hours after the water has been used. We even had it kick in at 3am! It hasn't done it in the last 2 weeks because I now turn the pump off when not using it.

I've been away since Saturday and its hasn't done anything odd so far, back home tomorrow or Thursday.

Back