Two watering cans

When we first had our van my husband was ages trying filling the tank, it would only half fill :Nerd_with_Glasses_E

Minisorella;n17891 said:
I've got a 'thing' about moving the van once I'm settled, which is why I've always used a watering can. I carry a hose too and, if I remember in time, I use that to do the first fill-up before I park.
To be honest though, here's how that usually goes... :rolleyes:

Get the hose out from under the (very heavy) bench seat in the lounge - maybe adapters too - then hook it up to the tap outside.
Spend the next 5 minutes trying to anchor the hose in the fill point before turning on the water and when that doesn't work, try to find someone to help by turning on the tap.
Failing a handy assistant, turn the tap on anyway and then capture the hose, which is now flying around like a furious elephant's trunk... ram it back in the fill point, phew!
Brush down soaked clothes and mop face with sleeve until the tank is full.
OK, now try to reach the tap whilst still holding the end of hose. What's that? Your arms aren't any longer than they were just now? OK, there's still no-one around to help of course, so run for the tap and try to avoid another soaking.
Don't forget to drain all the water from the hose and give it a good wash and wipe with kitchen towel where it was swishing around in the mud.
Coil up the hose, force it back into the pillowcase it lives in and battle with the super-strong, spring loaded bench seat once again.
Now change your clothes and shoes and towel off your hair.
Make a strong cuppa or open a bottle of red.... you'll definitely need it while you contemplate that you could have done all 80 litres with the watering can in half the time and got some useful exercise into the bargain.
Ta-da :Hugging_Face_Emoji:

Have you not tried folding over the end of your hose about a foot from the squirting end before you turn on the tap? Fold it double and hold it tight with one hand and water will not exit until you release your grip, neither will it fly around all over the shop like a mad thing! You can do the same when you have filled up but you may get a tad damp but not soaked through! Try it at home first to get the hang of it.

Do as Teejay says or wedge something into the filler hole such as a short length of hose. I have a piece of hose that I use for filling containers where the screw end on the taps are missing or the standpipe is at an awkward angle. Handy for refilling the 1.5 litre bottles as well.

teejay;n18006 said:
Have you not tried folding over the end of your hose about a foot from the squirting end before you turn on the tap? Fold it double and hold it tight with one hand and water will not exit until you release your grip, neither will it fly around all over the shop like a mad thing! You can do the same when you have filled up but you may get a tad damp but not soaked through! Try it at home first to get the hang of it.

cronkle;n18012 said:
Do as Teejay says or wedge something into the filler hole such as a short length of hose. I have a piece of hose that I use for filling containers where the screw end on the taps are missing or the standpipe is at an awkward angle. Handy for refilling the 1.5 litre bottles as well.

See, this is why two or three heads are better than one... I'd never have thought of that in a month of sundays :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Minisorella;n17891 said:
I've got a 'thing' about moving the van once I'm settled, which is why I've always used a watering can. I carry a hose too and, if I remember in time, I use that to do the first fill-up before I park.
To be honest though, here's how that usually goes... :rolleyes:.
Ta-da :Hugging_Face_Emoji:

Carry on camping's got nothing on you Jennie - brilliant :Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

Our water arrangement, I´ll try to explain it.
The hose is wound onto a drum, and kept in the gas compartment until its needed when it is put onto its spindle and easily wound out or in.
A wedge is used to clamp the hose into the filler hole then fixed to the tap (a one man job).
To refill when on the move, scrounging water from wherever we can we have a purpose made trolly with a detatchable handle that fits around a 13 ltr. container that fits snug under one of the outside storage spaces. To transfer the water from the 13 ltr container into the fresh water tank we have a 12v submersable pump.
We have an internal auxilary 20 ltr. (all year round) drinking water tank which is also pumped as the latter, perfect for frosty weather.
Milly & her man :Wink_Emoji: who gives the warning he has a patent which has 18 years to run :Tongue_Out_Emoji_wi

Given that most motorhomes on Aires only seem to stop a day or two I dont really get why they wander around with watering cans. Fill up when you arrive or before you leave at the tap. What are you doing in there? o_O Taking showers every five minutes or something? Its you women isnt it? Your obsessed with water and being clean and stuff. I Quite like doing the water run on the bike though that Mrs D insists on especially if its half a mile away or something. Gives me an excuse to stop for a quick snifter.

I like Joes egg cup idea the best though. I might use that for my new fitness regime.

teejay;n18006 said:

Expanding hose has a tap on it .

I have a 10L watering can with a detachable spout ( which helps with storage ) that i only ever use for filling the water in the header tank on the Thetford cassette toilet.

They only cost £1 at ASDA on offer so i bought 3 of them and it`s a good job i did because over the years i`ve had 2 pinched, both times i was on campsites.

I really hope that the perpetrators caught dysentery or some other suitably deadly disease because some of the water i used came from dubious sources especially abroad.

We have a collapsible one which stores away easily.Good for getting under taps in tight places

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back