Two watering cans

*****;n8047 said:
Doesn't it spill when you go over bumps and around bends Ray?
We do similar but with containers that have caps on.
Sounds a very nice location!

Yeah I was thinking that Ray. Are they not half empty when you get back? This is similar to the one I have by the looks of it. https://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Site-...xoCxokQAvD_BwE

All you have to do is get a few of those bungy cords with Carabinas on each end, (Pounds shop) clip a few together and wrap around the container and loop behind the top box with the container flat on the pillion seat. Safe as houses. Unless it falls off. :smile:. I use the same method for the Kayak.

I have 2 watering cans...slightly different models as one has an open top with the handle at the side; the other with the handle over the top of the aperture. Some taps are too close to the upright/standpipe bit to get one type under so it can spray everywhere...hence having the open top type.

I also carry one of those hosepipes that expand when they fill with water. I have the 75 foot version which I got at a show a couple of years ago...similar to this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGIC-FLEXIBLE-EXPANDABLE-WEIGHT-NOZZLE/dp/B00IW58DN6

Great piece of kit.
yes.gif

Graham
smile.gif

Also now a fan of the watering can . Never needed to use my collapsible container and flaxy funnel in five years ran out of water on Spanish beach this year.
Started with the container from the foot showers on the beach but the filter in the funnel made a long job of pouring water in van.

Fellow Motorhomer said "try my can " bingo quick to fill and pour. I now carry one can and my collapsible container . , fill both up to carry but pour the container in the can once empty to pour in the van .as much quicker. Takes up less room than two cans and can carry one full should I need to.. As I said went five years only needing a hose so two would be overkill for us but can see the appeal.

Another of my water tips is when using the type of fill taps with hose connected that you have to continually press them to keep the water flowing ...duct tape them in the on position.

I can normally empty the toilet or something more useful while tank fills than stand and get palm ache .

LT Man

Never carried a watering can, but carry a 25 litre container that is always topped up, usually fill tank using hose.

Graham

I've used a watering can for fresh water filling for nearly 6 years now... so much less hassle than a water barrel. My fill point is quite high up, so the long spout really helps.

I was filling up at the Malvern show a couple of years back and my camping neighbour said "No matter how much you water it lass, it'll not grow" :biggrin: I said aw shame, I was hoping it'd grow into a 6 berth :rolleyes:

Years ago I used to have two hose pipes that would click together, and a bucket full of fittings to fit any conceivable design of tap, carried them all over Europe, but always used my watering can. Once I had a good parking spot, specially on French aires, I would not move the van in case of losing said spot! Now I carry 1, 7litre watering can, and a five litre plastic bottle for balance, and that's about as much water as I can physically manage to carry nowadays.

jo662;n7732 said:
We only use watering cans too.By the time you have messed about with a hose pipe I can have the water filled up.:cool:

Not what I have experienced . One Aire in France there was a small queue waiting for services , a collective groan went up when the motorhomer at the head of the queue pulled out his trusty watering can .
I use one of these expanding hoses . Quick and easy

El radge;n17646 said:
Not what I have experienced . One Aire in France there was a small queue waiting for services , a collective groan went up when the motorhomer at the head of the queue pulled out his trusty watering can .

I agree with El radge expanding hose with correct fittings super easy. and quickest option . I am normally putting in about 120 - 140 lt which would be 12 -1 4 cans full .

El radge;n17646 said:

I ve had the opposite experience waiting for a guy to find all the bits to connect his hose to
the particular tap fitting.At least my way people can use the tap to fill there watering can
inbetween me filling mine.

I am envious of most of your posts. My wife uses so much water I couldn't go to the loo often enough (returning with a watering can of fresh) to keep up with her needs.

On our last trip over the New Year I noticed that she commonly went through about 80 litres a day and diplomatic hints about conservation go ignored.
:Thinking_Face_Emoji

She doesn't like long trips of a month or more, and prefers me to travel solo. Then I can easily cope with about 25 litres per day. I use a wheeled trundle truck and submersible pump, or a short 5 metre hose if I can get alongside a tap. .
​​​​​:Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign
​​​​​​

Personalty I park as far as possible from the tap and use an egg cup.
! takes less space in the van and has multi uses
2 I need the exercise :Smiling_Emoji_with_

Only ever use watering cans in winter when the ice and snow makes moving a pia.
why would you bother in summer ? Just move van to water source surely ?
spose it depends on your tank. 250l lasts us a week no problem .

Ginebrosa;n17882 said:
Only ever use watering cans in winter when the ice and snow makes moving a pia.
why would you bother in summer ? Just move van to water source surely ?
spose it depends on your tank. 250l lasts us a week no problem .

Depends where you are as many times in the rv we used a watering can , guess it is ok if you are close to water tap but as we often asked for water in car parks that allow overnight stay it was often the owners tap at the back of a house or farm .
We obviously used a hose if we could but like to have options
Should also add that we top up even if it was only 10 litres in the rv's 250 litre tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who´s got one of these then

Attachments

• photo1542.png
    photo1542.png
    709.4 KB · Views: 3
I've got a 'thing' about moving the van once I'm settled, which is why I've always used a watering can. I carry a hose too and, if I remember in time, I use that to do the first fill-up before I park.
To be honest though, here's how that usually goes... :rolleyes:

Get the hose out from under the (very heavy) bench seat in the lounge - maybe adapters too - then hook it up to the tap outside.
Spend the next 5 minutes trying to anchor the hose in the fill point before turning on the water and when that doesn't work, try to find someone to help by turning on the tap.
Failing a handy assistant, turn the tap on anyway and then capture the hose, which is now flying around like a furious elephant's trunk... ram it back in the fill point, phew!
Brush down soaked clothes and mop face with sleeve until the tank is full.
OK, now try to reach the tap whilst still holding the end of hose. What's that? Your arms aren't any longer than they were just now? OK, there's still no-one around to help of course, so run for the tap and try to avoid another soaking.
Don't forget to drain all the water from the hose and give it a good wash and wipe with kitchen towel where it was swishing around in the mud.
Coil up the hose, force it back into the pillowcase it lives in and battle with the super-strong, spring loaded bench seat once again.
Now change your clothes and shoes and towel off your hair.
Make a strong cuppa or open a bottle of red.... you'll definitely need it while you contemplate that you could have done all 80 litres with the watering can in half the time and got some useful exercise into the bargain.
Ta-da :Hugging_Face_Emoji:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back