Weather Report..................

clear blue sky's now and warm but first thing very cold so had to have my coffee and bandy ;)
Same here, Ken.
Coolish Southern breeze. Only 15' at 11am, so allowed a nip with the coffee.
22 in the terrace at lunchtime .
We've just booked our winter holiday.
At El Puerto de Santa Maria, near Cadiz. For the 3 Kings celebration. And the battered fish that they do there . Washed down with Fino Sherry, of course .
Suitcase in the car with knickers for a fortnight .. No idea where or when we'll return .
That's more like it !

The current warm weather in the north of England and in Scotland is a fascinating phenomenon known as the Foehn Effect and described on the BBC website:

(At least, I found it interesting!).
Here in Hertfordshire it's been a truly lovely day with lots of sunshine from about 1100 to sunset. As the sun lowered itself behind St Albans Cathedral this afternoon the sun's rays happened to be aligned with two windows either side of the huge tower:

IMG_20191229_153612.jpg

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

The current warm weather in the north of England and in Scotland is a fascinating phenomenon known as the Foehn Effect and described on the BBC website:

(At least, I found it interesting!).
Here in Hertfordshire it's been a truly lovely day with lots of sunshine from about 1100 to sunset. As the sun lowered itself behind St Albans Cathedral this afternoon the sun's rays happened to be aligned with two windows either side of the huge tower:

View attachment 52212

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

What the bbc report fails to explain is that the Foehn effect occurs because the air cooling as it rises is moist and therefore cools at the wet adiabatic lapse rate but the air warming as it falls does so at the dry adiabatic lapse rate which is greater resulting in the higher temperature.
Bet you all wanted to know that.

What the bbc report fails to explain is that the Foehn effect occurs because the air cooling as it rises is moist and therefore cools at the wet adiabatic lapse rate but the air warming as it falls does so at the dry adiabatic lapse rate which is greater resulting in the higher temperature.
Bet you all wanted to know that.

Nice 1 (y) that just confirms what i already knew 🤔

There's plenty of blue above Hertfordshire this morning with little or no rain forecast for the coming days.
Today the sun will be above the horizon for 7 hours 50 mins 30 sec here at latitude 51° 49' 03". That's a very satisfying 3 mins 48 sec longer than the winter solstice just 8 days ago.
Or more precisely, less satisfying than Scotland, more satisfying than Portugal.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Back