A TARDIS MOTORHOME PUZZLE

the "under 6M" is (I am assuming) because some ferry crossings are cheaper if you stay under that size, but very few Motorhomes are actually under 6M and I would say for the majority of people, this is a minor consideration as the compromise of living space compared to an increased cost of a return ferry price (IF they go abroad - I bet most stay in UK if in the UK, or mainland Europe in Europe) is one where they will just pay the extra if it comes to it.
I certainly if building a motorhome would not set a 6M length design limit - and for something that is meant to seat and sleep that many people it would be cramped as hell in 6M (it sounds way too cramped as it is, but then I regard my own 6.3M Motorhome as only having enough space for 2 people at the most anyway ;) )

the "under 6M" is (I am assuming) because some ferry crossings are cheaper if you stay under that size, but very few Motorhomes are actually under 6M and I would say for the majority of people, this is a minor consideration as the compromise of living space compared to an increased cost of a return ferry price (IF they go abroad - I bet most stay in UK if in the UK, or mainland Europe in Europe) is one where they will just pay the extra if it comes to it.
I certainly if building a motorhome would not set a 6M length design limit - and for something that is meant to seat and sleep that many people it would be cramped as hell in 6M (it sounds way too cramped as it is, but then I regard my own 6.3M Motorhome as only having enough space for 2 people at the most anyway ;) )

Thanks. I've been wondering about this for a long time.

I just like to be able to say that it's about 20 feet or 6.0 m long because these are nice round numbers.

I said that it's possible to have 13 people sleeping in 7 beds inside this motorhome but this probably won't happen very often. I think it's more suitable for 2 people who want to be in separate rooms from time to time or for a family of up to 6 people on short vacations who want a vehicle that is easy to drive and park.

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com

Thanks. I've been wondering about this for a long time.

I just like to be able to say that it's about 20 feet or 6.0 m long because these are nice round numbers.

I said that it's possible to have 13 people sleeping in 7 beds inside this motorhome but this probably won't happen very often. I think it's more suitable for 2 people who want to be in separate rooms from time to time or for a family of up to 6 people on short vacations who want a vehicle that is easy to drive and park.

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com
My Motorhome is a 4 berth but. like the majority of campervans and motorhomes in the UK and Europe, the pair of Double Beds are just about always a small double of 4 foot wide (a standard UK Double is 4' 6" and I bet the typical double bed in the house nowadays is a 5' width (which is "King Size" in the UK and "Queen Size" in the US (could be confusing as a "Queen" bed in the UK is actually smaller then a standard UK Double!)).

I could I guess quite easily fit 5 in mine by making the front cab seats into a bed suitable for a child of say 10 years or younger, but these 5 people would have to get on well with each other! I used to have VW Transporters ('Eurovans' in the US) which are pretty small Campers, but some people apparently travel around Europe in a group of 5 people plus a dog or two in one of those for a few months (sounds like hell on wheels but whatever floats your boat).

It's only 4 inches.....😁😁 I can hear it now🤣
In all seriousness 7mt would be around the ideal length for uk/europe. Though for around 2 adults and 2 children.
6 mtr gives the same ferry price as a car and saves a fortune if using multiple ferries.

Hi Atardis

What usable payload do you envisage for this MH?

Hi Atardis

What usable payload do you envisage for this MH?

I may build a prototype for myself but won't build for anybody else. Each manufacturer will have to decide on the features to include as well as the chassis and method of construction to use so the payload will be whatever each manufacturer wants it to be.

I still haven't decided if I want a roof deck or a retractable rear enclosure for myself.

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ

This is a slightly longer version with more desirable features.

55-inch sofa bed instead of smaller recliner
Larger dinette for four convertible into bunk bed
15-sq.ft. total worktop area instead of 5-sq.ft.
Hob with 3 burners instead of 2
10-cu.ft. 12V fridge

A shorter version is shown in my patent drawings on my website at https://atardis.com

Atardis Motorhome Design
atardis.com

atardis.gif

Last edited:
Any further progress?

Seems a bit odd to have the step on the slide out.

Seems a bit odd to have the step on the slide out.

It has been done before. This trailer was made by Peterson Industries in the US about a decade ago. I prefer keeping the steps inside rearward of the doorway when not in use so you can open the door without extending the steps.

Peterson.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back