A TARDIS MOTORHOME PUZZLE

What max weight is this vehicle , and what sort of payload at miro , thats quite a important factor in Europe

Sorry if I have missed this but are you planning on launching this new MH in the UK?

Sorry if I have missed this but are you planning on launching this new MH in the UK?

Yes but I'll also make my designs available to others very soon so somebody else may finish building one before I do.

atardis.jpeg

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com

Last edited:
What weight class is it intended for?

My patent application includes another embodiment with a roof deck and a retractable rear enclosure which can be easily padded.

View attachment 63248

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com
How do the side slide and the rear enclosure both come in without hitting? Is the rear part separate panels that fold out and clip together?

The roof deck looks like a nice feature. I have seen that before where a single deck vehicle becomes a double deck but the problem was the furniture for the upper part, plus the panels, all have to be stored in the lower section, which means what you end up is essentially a removals van that is not usuable until everything is deployed as it is filled up.

How do the side slide and the rear enclosure both come in without hitting? Is the rear part separate panels that fold out and clip together?

The roof deck looks like a nice feature. I have seen that before where a single deck vehicle becomes a double deck but the problem was the furniture for the upper part, plus the panels, all have to be stored in the lower section, which means what you end up is essentially a removals van that is not usable until everything is deployed as it is filled up.

The rear enclosure can be folded and stored outside the rear end wall so it doesn't take up space inside. This type of enclosure has been built for motorhomes as well as caravans and truck campers in the US. A folding mattress can be used in this enclosure so that it can be easily brought inside.

The cover for the roof deck can be built so that even when it's fully retracted there is still enough room underneath for storage of folding furniture. My design also includes a king-size mattress that can be folded and moved to the rear end of the deck so the table and chairs can be set up as shown. The deck cover can be lowered with the mattress laid flat in the front and the table and chairs stored in the back although there may not be enough room to store all the chairs up there.

The deck cover can be partially lowered so that it rests on top of the four hinged panels to provide another enclosed sleeping compartment. This makes it possible to have 13 people sleeping in 7 beds inside this motorhome.

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com

Last edited:
It all sounds very ambitious, how much money are you prepared to throw at this project?

I suspect (and is the way I would go myself if I were doing this project) is if I had some kind of compelling design that was also patentable, I would not build it myself as that would be a hefty upfront cost but I would license or sell the design to an big established RVMotorhome manufacturer who would have the expertise and equipment to build it. A build of this complexity and likely price-point is not something that can be made in a little workshop or possibly find the right customer base as a introductory product.
For the OP being in the US, a company like Thor Industries would likely be a good partner - they could knock a few together as a throwaway project, and if it was well received, have ready-made high-end brands to market it through in both US and Europe.

This project to me sounds very much like some kind of Masters dissertation project in Design & Engineering, or some similar University course, and remains theoretical.
Or maybe the OP is really a big company and is just sounding out interest in this kind of flexible design before they commit what would be a considerable spend to make prototypes?

Of course, sometimes these do come to fruition and in the Leisure Vehicle world, one project that started off as a university project is now a selectable option in the Hymer Catalog (to provide a Lead/Lithium Hybrid battery in fact), and there are likely others.

Last edited:
You must have deeper pockets then us then :D :D

Yeah know what ya mean, some days it's not worth gnawing through the straps.

It's too long @ 610, needs to be 599 for europe.. plus no chance of 3500kgs gross or is there?

It's too long @ 610, needs to be 599 for europe.. plus no chance of 3500kgs gross or is there?

For my prototype I won't try to stay within these limits.

5.99 m is possible without the retractable rear enclosure but there won't be enough room for a padded cell.

3,500 kg should be possible without the roof deck and the rear enclosure or with lighter and more expensive materials such as those used for the space lift or space elevator.

Atardis Motorhome Design
www.atardis.com

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back