Additional solar system & B2B for compressor fridge

The Multiplus was just an example of a good combo unit that is worth buying if you have a need for the main functions it offers i.e. a Mains Charger and an Inverter in that case. If you don't need an inverter then you obviously wouldn't buy a Multiplus.
Too big and bulky? depends what you buy. I have fitted a Victron Multiplus and a 100Ah AGM Battery within a VW T5 Drivers Seat Base - that is pretty compact ;)

Those all in bits of kit need to be reliable - the cost of replacing it all if one bit packs up is a bit terrifying!

Yes and if a warranty repair you'd probably need to buy another while the original is away being repaired. Thats what I had to do when my first Votronic solar controller and the LCD display both turned up faulty.

That's bad luck.
If faulty on delivery I'd be inclined to reject for refund and replace rather than repair.
Obviously further down the line you have to consider whether you want to wait.
That's why I keep old kit - it could act as standby, unless it's no longer capable.

Yes, that's what I did, but I had to buy another from a different place to prove to the first seller (and Paypal) that it was faulty to get the refund. He was right sod about it - this is the Votronic seller on Australian ebay that AandN recommend. He's actually in New Zealand. There are better places to buy from. Like roadpro, 12voltplanet or amazon.

Yes - our global world when it's easy to buy direct from China or new Zealand is great until something goes wrong.
I bought my Votronic on Amazon but it still came from Germany I think.
No English instructions!
Not installed yet as it's going to be a present today - should be a good job to do while I'm waiting for lunch to be cooked 😀😀
Hopefully it will be ok.

Yes - our global world when it's easy to buy direct from China or new Zealand is great until something goes wrong.
I bought my Votronic on Amazon but it still came from Germany I think.
No English instructions!
Not installed yet as it's going to be a present today - should be a good job to do while I'm waiting for lunch to be cooked 😀😀
Hopefully it will be ok.
I have English instructions so shout if you need them 👍

Must admit I have mixed views on the all in ones myself but then I think it’s the sort of thing in almost all vans where the manufacturer uses Schaudt or other. If the main unit goes you have a headache. I think my MPPT and B2B together are smaller than the additional Schaudt charger I added.

If I eventually source a bigger amp charger I will be putting that up for sale to hopefully get a bit back lol

Thanks for the offer - I'd already got them on t'web before I bought.
My B2B is simply a 100A relay and 10mm2 cable as I have a "proper" alternator - only just fitted so yet to use in earnest.
TBF I may not have really needed it (I don't have any sophisticated monitoring) but beefing up the supply and earth can't do any harm. And it was easy enough to do and only £30 in parts.20191225_123128.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer - I'd already got them on t'web before I bought.
My B2B is simply a 100A relay and 10mm2 cable as I have a "proper" alternator - only just fitted so yet to use in earnest.
TBF I may not have really needed it (I don't have any sophisticated monitoring) but beefing up the supply and earth can't do any harm. And it was easy enough to do and only £30 in parts.
What length run have you between the starter and leisure batteries? 10mm2 battery is a bit skimpy if you think you will be pushing current close to the relays rating. You don't mention it, but I am guessing you have fuses either side to protect the cable (rated at either 50A or possibly 60A at a push)

I've 5m total run with 50A fuse.
I only used 100A relay because it had 6mm stud connectors.
Whilst one can get 9mm blade 70A relays cable terminals for 10mm2, space on the relay and direction of feed were the main issues for me.
I used soldered ring connectors which I could tighten up firmly.
I don't run an inverter off leisure (or anywhere!) So I don't really expect more than 20-30 amp unless I completely kill the LB.
10mm2 is 70A nominal and at that current the drop is 1.2v so current would start self limiting.
Added to which I've still got the original wire - probably 4mm2?
What also amazed me was the delivery speed of the relay from Hong Kong!

Last edited:
Was in my local boat chandler looking at what sort of fittings they have just to see if they have anything that could be used to mount the solar panels, either fixed, or some kind of pop up arrangement like in post #94. I have a spare strip of roof running full length up the right side next to the awning. When it's hot, if possible I like to park with the right awning side facing the sun and drop it to shade the Hymer.

I've bought 3 x 100 watt panels - 1175 x 535 x 25 mm ; 7.5 Kg (already have two the same on the left side)

I was thinking to put two fixed on the roof and use the other as an optional portable one on a stand on the ground and move it around to face the sun. I intended using the same mounts as the first kit - the white chunky plastic ones. Not overly keen on them as they take up a lot of space and yet don't actually have a lot of contact area with the roof as a lot of the bottom is just a void - it's only the edges where you can put adhesive (and screws if you use them). My local has the ones below which may be better. A$, so about £26.60. They have the corner pieces and 2 bits for the sides. Similar price as the other white type. More compact, solid bottoms, easy to lift the panel if ever you need to.

I had thought I'd not like black, but given the amount of UV deterioration and mould that grows up there maybe they would be better than white?

IMG_20191227_110525.jpg

IMG_20191227_110413.jpg

IMG_20191227_112632.jpg

The movable variant I was thinking of having all three panels end to end, so roughly 3500x500mm. Hinge or pivot the right side next to the awning. Being only half a metre wide it would shade the van roof a bit, maybe even the two skylights which are central, but not the panels on the left side much. It'd be less at risk in wind. As I use it during the warmer half of the year, the sun is higher, so the shadow cast by a raised panel would be shorter. However that also means if it was fixed to the roof it works better, so maybe it's not worth the gain. There's extra weight in framing, struts and pulleys etc.

They had some nice stainless steel struts in various sizes and end attachments:

IMG_20191227_104134.jpg

IMG_20191227_104126.jpg

Possible pivots - these plastic hinges. Run aluminium angle along the long edges and another on the roof with some of these joining them. Or the metal stuff below that (though they get expensive). Problem is the solar panels don't have much strength in the frames, so they'd need beefing up - probably a complete surround of aluminium angle. Too much hassle I think. For all that extra weight and cost, you might just as well bung an extra panel or two fixed flat and possibly end up with the same charging result without the hassle of having to chase the sun with the movable panels.

IMG_20191227_104535.jpg

IMG_20191227_111317.jpg

IMG_20191227_111455.jpg

IMG_20191227_111632.jpg

Couple of other interesting things -
Little Japanese toilet brush. The front pivots open. The whole thing sticks on a wall with 3M. It's about 300mm high A$24. Just the right size for a motorhome kazee.

IMG_20191227_105225.jpg

A 12 volt oven, but 10 amps 120 watts! - a real battery chewer. They had bigger ones too. You'd have to really want a pie.

IMG_20191227_105038.jpg

Couple of other interesting things -
Little Japanese toilet brush. The front pivots open. The whole thing sticks on a wall with 3M. It's about 300mm high A$24. Just the right size for a motorhome kazee.

View attachment 52178

A 12 volt oven, but 10 amps 120 watts! - a real battery chewer. They had bigger ones too. You'd have to really want a pie.

View attachment 52179
I have to disagree with you about just sticking a couple of more panels up to get the extra gain .I have four 100watts of solar flat I was getting 3amps but tilted I was getting 14.8amps so I would need an other 9 panels to get the same flat so your well out on your estimate.So tilting makes a really big difference and well worth it in the winter.

I have to disagree with you about just sticking a couple of more panels up to get the extra gain .I have four 100watts of solar flat I was getting 3amps but tilted I was getting 14.8amps so I would need an other 9 panels to get the same flat so your well out on your estimate.So tilting makes a really big difference and well worth it in the winter.
Remember he said he is a summertime user only. It is only this time of year (just hit shortest day) that you get that much difference. In the summertime the effect of tilting is way less dramatic.

Remember he said he is a summertime user only. It is only this time of year (just hit shortest day) that you get that much difference. In the summertime the effect of tilting is way less dramatic.
So he is only a fair weather motorhomes lol

I would be interested to know how much you have actually harvested (in terms of AHs or WHrs) in a full day with your tilted array on a typical winters day. That would be an interesting metric to see. I've no doubt that it is a lot better than a flat panel setup, but is it actually significant enough in real terms to be worth the hassle? (4 X better than sod all can still be sod all, after all)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back