Adventure b4 DEMent1a

Good you are slowing down and exploring Del, too easy to drive through and miss loads :)

The Friday before you went Caz did say why don’t I drop her at home and go with you lol wouldn’t go without the dogs though so wasn’t an option :)

Get some miles on the bike and you may not need electric motor

Good you are slowing down and exploring Del, too easy to drive through and miss loads :)

The Friday before you went Caz did say why don’t I drop her at home and go with you lol wouldn’t go without the dogs though so wasn’t an option :)

Get some miles on the bike and you may not need electric motor

Yup, slowing down. That didn’t last long. Got so fed up with the wind. I’ve moved onto Portugal. Chilling, by a river in a gentle breeze. Yesterday, walking along the beach I was sand blasted. Yesterday morning I went to the town for a bit of shopping, into the teeth of the wind. Coming back was easy. Later in the day the wind picked up even more. The van , and others was rocking in the wind. Not cold there, unless you’re Spanish. Hace frio. No, it’s 20o, Man up Pedro.
Still loving it.
Only been here for an hour or so. I’ll be able to tell more tomorrow.
My van went over the 30k mark today.. Not bad considering it’s 12 years old now. Makes you wonder how the previous owners used it. I’ve done 8.5k miles in a little over a year. Not trying to judge. Maybe they were unwell. The year before I got it, it did 900 miles between MOT’s. All I can say is, love this van.

Re the dogs. The way the B thing is going ( mustn’t say Brexthingie) you could’ve come and brought the dogs with you. And probably could for the next couple of years. I’d like to say I’ve missed your company, but I promised to be honest.?

In Portugal, out of the wind, into a free aire. Pretty little village called Alcoutim. # 152 green in the book. You may have read elsewhere about a river festival.( Rugbyken). Aha! I can beat that. I’ve arranged for this village to have one this weekend. A week earlier.
Lies all lies, coincidence , pure coincidence..
I understand that Rugbyken is on his travels again. I’ll not bother about the other festival. I’ll find somewhere else to go, I’ve got a book full . As the weather has improved, it’s going to be fun.
I really must get myself motivated. Bed by 10, sleep till 8, swan down to the shop. Then I spend the rest of the day reading a book in the sunshine. Making up for all that wind. Hiking tomorrow, honest. I promised Nik I’d come back fit. Okay, fit ish. Let you know tomorrow. Now, where did I leave those boots?

Last edited:
Still in Alcoutim, first day of the festival. Saw the great and the good, walk over the river into Spain, via a pontoon, not walking on water. That bloke wasn’t here. The theme is celebrating the smuggling that went on between Portugal and Spain across this narrow stretch of the river. No evidence of smuggling today, that could be because of the Spanish police cutter observing the proceedings. A case of my boats bigger than yours. Lovely looking piece of kit. The Portuguese had a pedalo.
Did the hike today. Only an hour and a half. Followed the road next to the aire up, up and then up some more. The countryside seems so much nicer than the constant parched look of Spain.
I’ve been talking to others about moving on. The consensus is not to move over a weekend. If you’ve got a good spot, stay on it. Move on Monday, and the locals would have gone home. More parking spots become available. Makes sense I suppose. Plus I can laze about a bit longer. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still getting itchy feet. I’m still trying to keep my mileage down between aires. And still failing.
I’m thinking of cutting short this trip by a week or so, then I can get back in time for the Rutland Water meet-up. Give me a bit of time to sort myself and the van out before inevitable return to ****. Cos I’m missing you already.
Getting slightly wound up over the internet data thing again. Radio app and Sounds are very hit and miss. It’s been okay ish , over the last few days, today, annoyingly intermittent. Trying to keep up with this Brexit thing. Even gave up trying to listen to “ The Now Show”. More gaps than enough.

Del, forget the B***B**** thing! You will find out soon enough! Sounds like a lovely village you have found! Enjoy it...

I wish I was still young and desirable but I agree you can't have everything, I will never be young again but I thank God that I am still desirable:p

Wonderfully delusional. Having said that ,I wish I was half as good as I used to think I was.?

You know I said previously, stationary. Well, okay I haven’t moved much today either. Had a great walk up the hill behind me. Went up the main road, all hairpins, and down cross country. Little over 3hours. Knackered ,I found myself to be extremely fatigued on my return. Spent the afternoon listening to the footie on the radio. Nice to be able to hear it again. Must only be blocked on the BBC Sounds app, in Spain.
Clocks as well you know went forward last night. I was ready for that. What I didn’t realise was that Spain and Portugal are on different times. Spain is always an hour ahead of Portugal. This could explain why the local shop wasn’t open until gone 10 on Thursday, when the sign on the door clearly states it opens at nine. Over the years I have learned not to say anything about tardiness of shopkeepers.
Moving on tomorrow first thing ish. Got to dump stuff and top up the water. Then we’re off. Mina de Sao Domingos #153. I’ll see what that’s like. Although I must find a bigger town soon. I’ll have to find a town with a bigger supermarket .I’m running on store cupboard stuff, atm. Had a semi spag bol for tea tonight. Half a tin of stewed steak, half a jar of tomato passata and spaghetti. Very pleasant. No guesses what’s for tea tomorrow night. Need salad, fresh milk, fresh everything. Where’s Morrisons when you want it.
Stay safe more later.

The only shop in minas is a very small grocers, the queue starts at the door! Vdry friendly. We did find a nice coffee shop as well....

Keep porridge in the cupboard Del, you can survive nicely on that for days :) you big city folks aren’t used to country ways, local shop for local people :)

Edit: you probably didn’t watch league of gentlemen so this post is probably wasted on you :)

• Funny
Reactions: Rec
Keep porridge in the cupboard Del, you can survive nicely on that for days :) you big city folks aren’t used to country ways, local shop for local people :)

Edit: you probably didn’t watch league of gentlemen so this post is probably wasted on you :)

Quite right. I don’t know ANY gentlemen.?

Didn’t get to Minos. The shop seemed to be a priority. At to go to Beja before I found a shop of any size. And that was 30 odd miles past the Minos turn. Of course when I got there I had a choice of Intermarche, Lidl, Aldi and at least two more. For the first time, I found the shopping awkward, whether it was the layout of the store, my inability to speak Portuguese, other than obligardo. Google translate says I’ve got some pork steaks for tomorrow and Wednesday. Plenty of salad,bread and fresh milk , cereals are on the breakfast menu again.
Question for seasoned travelers. Why are Portuguese tomatoes not ripe. Spanish ones were to die for. Sweet, full of flavour. Bought some, ate one, the remainder are on the dash ripening, hopefully. Being addicted to ripe tomatoes is a pretty sad excuse to return to Spain.
I’m in an ex mining village called Lousal. Not quite sure what to say about this place. Not much to it, but perhaps the people who live here like it that way. Won’t be here long. Going to give Portugal another few days, and possibly return south. Need the sun. ?
Listened to the bl***y Tottenham game yesterday, only good bit was the result. As I said listened to it. Tonight’s Arsenal game. “Sorry we are unable to bring you this program on this platform “. Gonna get a VPN sorted for next trip. The ads say “ This is Your BBC “, okay let me listen to it then.
Moan over.

Not sure what I’m going to do tomorrow. Answers do not need to be on a postcard.

Spent some time checking weather apps. Looks like the weather isn’t going to be brilliant over the next week or so, anywhere in Europe. Going to Lisbon, Santa Susana, to sit it out. It says there’s a laundromat nearby, if I do my laundry the van might smell a little sweeter. Too much information?

At Santa Susana #90. Tis a car park, nowt else. BUT with a launderette. Van smells so sweet,l didn’t recognise it. Clean bedding, a treat. Waters on for a shower before bed. Managed to loose a sock, I’d ask how you could loose anything in a van this size, but I’ve managed to loose quite a lot, and then find them again days later in either a really stupid place,or where I looked in the first place. Forgot to put tea towels, face flannel and towel in. I’ll do them in the sink when the water heats up.
Today’s drive. Great until I reached outer Lisbon. I went onto the equivalent of the M25, M 62 or whatever. Needed to stay aware of lane changes , closures, or just Lisbonions ( made that up) diving off over three lanes cos, Oh! That’s my exit. Being a sensible Brit I keeped in the nearside lane except when overtaking, finding myself unable to get back over to stay on the motorway. Did that twice. Had to exit and then rejoin. Stayed in the middle lane after that. Sod being Captain
Sensible.

I’m hoping for a dog bark and cockerel free night. Would be nice.
Moving on early tomorrow. Don’t think there’s much here for me. Not one for architecture, towns and the like. Being dragged up in London knocked that out of me. Need a bit of startling countryside, sans dogs and male chickens.
Stay safe

Have you looked at gping to Cascais (think that how you spell it) On the coast from Lisbon. Liked it years ago.

Have you looked at gping to Cascais (think that how you spell it) On the coast from Lisbon. Liked it years ago.

Thanks for that. Several MH’s have used the facilities here without stopping in the aire , so maybe they’ve been there. There’s a couple of sites on CarMaps. I’ll take a look in the morning. I’m fairly stocked, only needing bread..
Thanks for the suggestion.
Note to others. Don’t be shy. If you know somewhere I might miss, let me know.
I should say here and now, wineries and culture. Not for me. Apologies to a mutual friend.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back