Adventure b4 DEMent1a

I’m hoping for a dog bark and cockerel free night. Would be nice.
Moving on early tomorrow. Don’t think there’s much here for me. Not one for architecture, towns and the like. Being dragged up in London knocked that out of me. Need a bit of startling countryside, sans dogs and male chickens.
Stay safe

Good luck with that then, Del! :LOL: ;)

Checked weather forecast again this morning wearing a fleece. ENOUGH! If the sunshine won’t come to me,I’ll go and find it. Drove south today. Now at Vila Real. About 5 miles from where I entered Portugal a week ago. You know I’m all new to this travelling lark. Didn’t know what to expect. Three months in the van is different to a couple of weeks in a hotel. I’m beginning to understand what it is and what it isn’t I like about places. Like sun. Like views. Don’t like wind, the cold, don’t like industrial areas, ditto towns,cities etc.
As a result of two disappointing nights, I’ve retraced my steps. Come back to the south coast. I’ll go west along the coast a little more, for a week or so. Then return along the south coast of Spain, easterly. Looking out for places I missed in haste going south and west. I did a lot of mileage far to quickly. And only 6 weeks left, if I’m going to be back for Rutland Water meet.
Stay safe, and thanks for reading this rubbish.

Well,it's raining here in central Portugal and set for the next few days! Hope you find your sun and views!

Still at Vila Real de Santo António, very windy, rained in the night. Looks like there will be little improvement until Monday. I’ll probably just bring me neck in and sit here until the weather improves.
It’s started raining again as I type this. Thinking of complaining to the management, oh, that would be me then. Bad planning?
Looks like I’ll be burning some data, on YouTube vids. Going to have a look at what dvds I’ve brought with me. Just remembered Tezza33 ( thanks Terry) loaded a lot of stuff for me. All I need to do now is to remember how to load it. That in itself could provide hours of entertainment.

First failure of the trip. Leak from underneath the bathroom sink. Looks like the seal has failed between the sink and worktop. Maybe I'll practice my Portuguese in the BnQ equivalent and get some silicon sealer.
Moved down to Silves. #128in the book. Algarve Motorhomepark. Nice little site. Very tidy, and TBH, it's probably the first one I've been to, that I'd recommend. Leccy is available, should you need it. Handy for shops. Laundry and showers on site. Great host. I could get comfortable here. Tempted to stay a little longer. We'll see.
Euro6* a night or 4 nights for the price of 3. Took that option. Just as well, the weather has been pretty dire. Thanks to the free wifi, I've managed to catch up with the you tube videos I've been following at home. Hopefully the weathers on the turn again in the next day or so. be nice to get back into shorts. Yup, it's been that chilly. Yesterday, I went for a walk, not far, and got soaked to the skin. Complete change of clothes. Not what I planned .
Paid for tonight and Tuesday. I'll get back to the book and apps and find somewhere new. Unless I take a few more days.

* Using the old laptop, couldn't find the E for Euro key. Not something I'd noticed before.

Last edited:
Del - if you are heading north in Portugal and cross into Northern Spain here are some overnight spots we liked.

In Spain just over the border from Portugal Os Banos 41.97948 -7.98242 car park for As Leirinas Roman thermal springs pools, narrow and steep approach from main road. Impressive remains of Roman fort a short walk south. We were there for two nights enjoying the thermal springs pools - all free.

Portugal - Castelo de Bragança 41.80405 -6.74597 free tered aire so although it is large it feels spacious with good views. Castle, walls, river board walk

Portugal - Barril de Alva 40.28604 -7.96228 this remined us of an Aussie bush camp, not a lot in the area but a good place to chill out.

Spain - Parque Nacional de Los Picos de Europa, Fuente De 43.14462 -4.81318. Car park with spectacular views. Sign at entrance says no campervans after sunset but National Park booth not manned until Saturday morning. 3 other vans first night, on our own second night. Cable car 17€ return, 900m height gain. 18 degC at bottom, 7 at top (May 2017)

Staying at Silves another 4 days, waiting for the weather to sort it's self out.
I've been trying to work out what to do next. I'm pretty sure, if I don't continue with my planned trip' following the coast around Spain, Portugal back into Spain, I'll regret it in the years to come. This is a once in a lifetime journey for me. I don't think I'm going to let the weather beat me. I've got sweaters, long trousers, and even rain/wind proof jackets if I need them.
Who do you think I'm trying to convince? You? Or myself? Ugh!
Bear with me, I sort meself out, one way or another.
If I do go north I'll give Lisbon a miss this time ,and go more inland. Who knows?
Going to'ave a fink.

Still not moved.
Yes I know I’ve been a bit lazy with this. The weather has finally picked up. Spending my days out and about. There’s some great walking country around here, and tbh , I was getting out of the habit. Waistline? No you don’t need to know!
It’s 1015am ,and I’m sitting outside, shirt off , typing this using the free WiFi. Life’s good. A down side to this idyllic scene is the brits next door cooking a full English. The smell of that bacon. Wish I wish I could bottle it. Glad I’d finished my cornflakes before they started cooking . Otherwise I might have broken their door down. No! I’m a peaceful man, I may have just begged.
Having one more night here. Going out to lunch with a couple I met in Alcoutim. They live locally, and are on this site for the weekend.
Then moving slowly back north, I will be using some of the suggestions from UFO, thanks again, and some that’s been suggested by others.
A little while back,I mentioned, Lousel, an ex mining village. A YouTube self build Motorhomer called Greg Virgo, has just put a video in the last couple of days. Look for Greg Virgo, Caves and Mines of Portugal. Much better than anything I could put up. Amazing what difference a bit of sunshine can make. He’s going south, so our paths may cross. Unlikely.
Stay safe. More soon.

I think I’ve developing a thing about Silves. Ten nights now. Wasn’t planned that way.
Moved on early today, and went into the hills above a reservoir at Barragem da Arade. Had a terrific day walking the hills. Got back to the van 6 ish, had dinner, cleaned up, and settled down to my Motorhomer fix, when I had a knock on the window. I wasn’t expecting guests, I had nothing in, I’d been shopping, but you’d expect a little notice if someone was visiting. As it turned out, it was the GNR, old bill to you and me. Asking me, and my neighbours to kindly shift, like now. We could have stayed a little longer, paying the €200 fine, and then move anyway, or go peacefully. I moved, as did the others, although a French bloke was still arguing the toss , when I left. Something about, fire risk. After the fires we saw on telly last year. You can see their point.
So now I’m back in Silves, in a car park by the swimming pool, if you know the area. Almost opposite the pub we were in last night.
We, an explanation. I met a couple in Alcoutim, him ex squaddie, her Dutch lady. Anyway, they live in Portugal,and use a old Autosleeper for weekends away. Silves is somewhere they visit often. They conjoled me into visiting a restaurant that had live music in the afternoon, my first meal out since leaving my sister. In the evening it was this pub across the way for a jam session. Live music again. Didn’t see any jam.
The reservoir was a recommendation from another couple, who are supposed to be meeting me there tomorrow. I’ll try and let them know not to bother. In future I’ll try to use the Aires in the book. It’ll save a lot of bother.

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside. Oh! I do like to be beside the sea.
I’m at Porto Covo # 122.
Tis stunning, and to be strictly honest,it’s the ocean, not the sea. Then the song wouldn’t scan.
Tis also chilly. First night for ages I’ve not had salad for dinner. Spaghetti, with pork, pasatta and cheese. Even lunch,was toast and pate. Must be chilly then.
Done this seasidie thing now. That means I can go back inland tomorrow .
Give me hills and I’ll be happy.

All plans cancelled for the foreseeable future. Low on diesel in the middle of a fuel drivers strike.
Remind me, who wrote, Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance?
Think that was me!
Do as I say, not as I do.
Weathers turned wet and cold as well, oh poo ?

Moved to the site at Sines. It’s in the car park at Intermarche, supermarket. I’m facing the fuel pumps, so if they get a delivery, I’ll be among the first to know. Probably not first in the queue, the French are renowned for their sharp elbows. I only want diesel, not an international incident. Not much else to add, other than its cold, I have a streaming nose, I’m not happy, still wish I’d bought diesel yesterday, hoping these guys get back to work soon, wishing you all a happy Easter, oh, and I want some diesel, did I already say that? ?

Google says the drivers strike is over. Hoo bloody ray. They settled for talks on better pay and conditions. Good luck with that , is all I can say.
Waiting for a delivery. Keeping the van in moving on mode. Poised to leap into action

Looking around social media it seems like a lot of Spain is getting cold, wet weather just now.

But is it true that the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain? :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back