Adventure b4 DEMent1a

I’m in Mende atm, drove through Millau yesterday, a very dramatic gorge. In sunshine, it would have been even better. Lol. Had it not been so busy, I’d like to have stayed. It was difficult to find somewhere to park long enough to reset the satnav.
The weather seems to have stymied my travel plans yet again . Spending an hour or so on the BBC weather app, it looks like I’ll get back in to some sunshine if I swing east towards Avignon and Provence, I’ll be able to take off this fleece and get the shorts back on. I’ll have many opportunities to freeze when I get home. Sitting here with my hands around a cup of tea. Thinking of putting the heating on. This wasn’t in my plans.
I’ll visit the Ardeche another time.
It looks like you’re going up the west coast, if that’s correct, then it’s not likely. No problem, we’ll meet up in a field somewhere in England ??????? during the year.
Question to experienced Euro travellers. Is the cold weather we’ve had this spring unusual, or was I planning this trip wearing rose coloured glasses? Yes, I’ve had some good days, but nowhere near as many as I expected.
I do think it is unseasonably wet and cold! We don't usually have so much problems after April....the odd couple of days maybe but the wind, wet and cold is more like March.March however in central Portugal was lovely!

I missed Portugal in March didn’t get there until mid April. The rain and storms by then were appalling. Gave up, and moved on back to Spain, had some very pleasant days there. Decided to return slowly though France and enjoy the scenery. High winds are now the problem.
I know this can come over as, poor me. Tbh, yes I am disappointed, I did expect better weather, especially down south. It didn’t happen. If I was in company, we could have laughed about it, and got on with something else. Funnily enough, the times I have been in company the weather has been pretty good. But we were passing through.
I’m fully aware of Sod’s law, stuff happens and any other saying you want to say. Another year and it could be completely different.
I’ve said it previously. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, but with company . Not on my own again. Too many evenings, alone cold and damp.

oh trotter, i feel your disappointment........such a shame when things dont turn out as planned....especially if you have been planning the adventure for a while......
its not just the other side of the channel which has been getting windy weather.....as you will know,, although we have had many days of sunshine here in uk...its mainly been a cold wind in the background which has spoilt it.
..ave you got yer ..ot watter bockle with you......it can be very comforting when its cold and damp...
hopefully you will get the chance to do it all again..........sooner than later.............
you will have lots of pleasant memories to look back upon....even tho the weather has not been on your side..........
and its been lovely that you have shared your travels via your posts on here......take care

Still in the village of Chusclan, the Aire is on the site of a vineyard, Cote du Rhône wine. Sounds like I know what I’m talking about. Haven’t got a clue really. Tbh it all tastes like s...omething nasty to me. I’ll be here another day, maybe meeting a MH member to return home with.
Wind has dropped today, it’s down to under 30mph. Still high enough to tear the front mudguard off my bike. I kid you not. This was one of poundshop’s finest, cost me a pound Tezza33. Fifty pence I suppose, as the rear one is okay
Walked over the river into the village, this afternoon, using the bridge ?. Pretty little place, limestone terraces.
You were quick Terry.

Last edited:
My sister in law came to stay with us in June a couple of years ago (from NZ) on way to UK. It was 26c till we picked her up at the airport then it rained nonstop for her entire visit. After dropping her at the airport, the sun came back and stayed! Spent her holiday saying, "this would be a lovely view" :cry: Murphy's law! Agree that having someone to share it with definitely helps make it bearable. Just have to start planning the next trip with the benefit of having done it once...... you'll know what areas you would like to see in the sun! It's been interesting following your travels....we are back a few days before you. Two weeks of our trip was somewhat marred by Dave's accident and subsequent stay in hospital...the weather wasn't too bad when I was commuting to & from Coimbra hospital! Best laid plans etc!

Much better day today, been out on the bike, minus front mudguard, had a long walk into the village, and even sat outside with a book. Read some of it to. This life is so much better when you can get out. Stuck inside during the inclements isn’t any fun. Forecast is for a day of rain tomorrow, I’ll get moving, fairly early.
I’ve been told that it’s another public holiday tomorrow, WW2 Victory Day. Glad they managed that all on their own.?. So I doubt there will be any thing open, the only thing that I’m short of is lpg, and I’ve got the spare bottle. I reckon garages will be open.

I wouldn't bother rushing back, Del, the weather - at least here oop norf - has been pretty horrible.
Cold more than anything, even had our log burner on last night, in May for heavens sake!

Keep safe, hope the sun and a bit of warmth reach you before your final push homewards ;)

Seems Del has lost contact with the world and has asked me to let folks know. Will copy and paste his text below:

What a bloody parlava. O2 is down all over Europe. Had no phone or internet for two days. Couldn’t do anything about it yesterday, another bank holiday. Today I got a new pay as you go SIM card, hence the number you don’t recognise. I’ve got phone, some data but only on the phone , no hotspot for iPad. If you get a chance can you put something up on the AdventureB5Dementia thread for me.
My adoring public need to know of my plight ?.
Also if you hear anything about O2, please text me on this number.
Have you noticed how pleasant I can be when I want a favour ?

You will be okay Del just smaller screen, have you tried to turn hotspot on and connect iPad? You can sometimes do it even though the provider says you cant

I was running low on internet data, I had a choice, buy another local sim for the mifi or increase my data allowance from O2 on my phone contact. I decided to go with 02 especially after the problem I had in Spain. I contacted O2 via My02 and upgraded my account, Got a confirmation text, ten minutes later, radio went off, checked the phone. No Service. And that’s how it has stayed.
Obviously I thought I’d wrecked it. Apparently the system is down over Europe.

You will be okay Del just smaller screen, have you tried to turn hotspot on and connect iPad? You can sometimes do it even though the provider says you cant
I’ve had enough trouble for one day. With my luck I’ll end up melting the phone. It’ll be the end of the world as we know it ?

My Vodafone went as soon as we got into France...started to swear then remembered that last time, I had to reset the networks to "find automatically", turn phone off then on....voila...full signal back!

My Vodafone went as soon as we got into France...started to swear then remembered that last time, I had to reset the networks to "find automatically", turn phone off then on....voila...full signal back!
Friday. Still no signal,on 02
Decided to make the most of the problems I’ve had and take in Switzerland Germany Belgium and back into France. Worked brilliantly until I tried to text Nik from just over the border. It seems the SIM card works only in France. Gets better doesn’t it.
Someone once said,” When the going gets tough, the tough get going “ . Bloody idiot.
I’ll stay in France now until 19th.

Finally got through to 02. Apparently my phone has been automatically cancelled because I’ve been out of the country for more than 63 days. Oh! Okay, will you turn it back on please.
Not until you return to the UK ??.
Oh thank you, that’s very useful.
None of this helps me one little bit, but at least I know why, and that my phone ain’t broke.
So be warned folks, check with your phone provider if you’re ever going away for more than a couple of months.
So I’ll see what Eastern France has to offer .
By the way, I’d still like to get into Belgium, WW1 sites, can anyone give me addresses or coordinates for free Aires in that area. That would be great. Remember, I only have phone service in France. So I’ll have to load the satnav before leaving France.
Later......

I’ve been out of the country for more than 63 days. Oh! Okay, will you turn it back on please.
Not until you return to the UK ??.

Better watch they don't start closing the borders on you Del :LOL:
Wonder if it would have made a difference if O2 had been pre-warned of your extended holiday :unsure:
Glad you're still getting out and about and enjoying yourself.

Thought it was funny if it was a wide area problem Del as it didn’t give me anything on Google. That German guy must have been winding you up lol.
Go back to Switzerland if that’s what you wanted and just buy low value local sim in each country. Don’t let SIM cards stop you going where you want

Thought it was funny if it was a wide area problem Del as it didn’t give me anything on Google. That German guy must have been winding you up lol.
Go back to Switzerland if that’s what you wanted and just buy low value local sim in each country. Don’t let SIM cards stop you going where you want
That was the day o2 went down on the uk. Probably non parley vous German .
I’ll stay this side until I get to Belgium. Hopefully someone will give me some site information before then.
Tis all a learning curve. I’ll be so much better prepared next time.
Next time? You betcha ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back