Adventureb4Dementia3

Was left alone.
Decided to leave before dog walkers, walked their dogs and got annoyed. Got to Baie du Somme around 2 o’clock. Couldn’t settle, so I thought, maybe I could get an earlier train.
Cut a long story short. I did.
Home, showered, shaved, impressed with the decorating Nic’s done, not a lot for me to do. Perhaps 😬.
Here endeth AventureB4Dementia3.
Thanks everyone for taking an interest in this nonsense. I wonder when AdventureB4Dementia4 will happen. And to where?
Sweden, Norway, Lincolnshire?
Safe safe

That seemed a real quick trip back Del unless I missed a few days reading the thread, welcome home lol

You beat the quarantine thing they are on about as well, heard them saying it will apply to everyone (including folks returning home) as from what you said you can't stay in the van on your drive lol

See what did we say, it was a breeze.
Great to hear you're back, safe and well.
Have a couple of days R&R then the van will need a good sort out and clean. You don't want it going moldy while it's laid up for the next couple of months.
It must be great to see Nicki and the family and obviously show off your tan.
Welcome home.

That seemed a real quick trip back Del unless I missed a few days reading the thread, welcome home lol
Finding a parkup was a nightmare, first night took over an hour to find, much the same night two. Got to the Aire at Baie du Somme early Wednesday afternoon, and thought sod it, if I can get a train, I’ll be home in four hours. That beats a noisy Aire.
You beat the quarantine thing they are on about as well, heard them saying it will apply to everyone (including folks returning home) as from what you said you can't stay in the van on your drive lol
Did the run in three full days. Hate to think how much I’ve spent on tolls. Got to be over a hundred quid. Got a better mpg, without all the stop start. That would mean going that way back to Portugal would be an easy four day run, staying off the tolls. One day, eh!
Did it in a hurry, because finding a parkup was a nightmare. Aires were shut.First night took over an hour, night two much the same. Got to Aire at Baie du Somme early Wednesday afternoon, and thought,sod it, if I can get an earlier train, I could be home in four hours. That beats sleeping on a noisy Aire
Beating the quarantine? Result there.

Last edited:
Pretty much what we did, went through on 19.18 train evening before, so are you back now, Del? Will be pretty different in good and bad ways to Portugal! Must have improved your travel confidence doing the trip back so efficiently? Adventureb4dementia4 planning now?

Pretty much what we did, went through on 19.18 train evening before, so are you back now, Del? Will be pretty different in good and bad ways to Portugal! Must have improved your travel confidence doing the trip back so efficiently? Adventureb4dementia4 planning now?
Yup! Got home about 8,30 last night.
I suppose I'm more confident with the travelling abroad. Understanding the foibles of my Garmin took a little while. Challenging sometimes, especially when junctions appear one on top of another. Funnily enough, it never was the driving. I've always enjoyed that side of travel. I've always had a problem with languages. I'm barely competent in English, Foreign stuff, difficult. I practice what I want to say, then it either comes out as gobbledegook, or it's so good, they reply with something I'm not prepared for. Google translate helps,given the time to access it. Otherwise, I've learnt how to say, "I'm sorry, I don't speak, French, Spanish, Hindustani, whatever. I tell lies with the Hindi statement. I looked it up on Translate. A lot of swiggles. No chance
Ab4D? Got plans. Like everyone else, it's got to wait. Portugal, definitely. Sweden, Norway, maybe. Expensive, I know. France? Language again. Maybe try, again, to learn some. All I do know is, Have Van, Will Travel.
Stay safe

You seemed to be able to post wherever and whenever you chose.

What were you using please?

You seemed to be able to post wherever and whenever you chose.

What were you using please?
As far as I know,there’s no limit to what you want to say.
So....
You write whatever you want to say, then push “post reply “ .
You must have done that for your message to appear on my screen.
If you don’t mind my saying, What an odd question.

I thought he was asking what you use to access the internet on your travels:unsure:
Oh! That makes a lot more sense. Thanks Terry.
Sorry. No one said I needed a brain 🤬
I have a fair bit of data on my iPhone. I use that either as a Bluetooth to my ipad, or as a hotspot for the chromebook.
No problems getting connected to internet. Although, where we were sometimes down to 1 bar. That’s really unusual, you can normally expect a good deal better connection. Just a quirk of being in the back of beyond. Tv was problematic, lots of buffering, again that was because of were we were.
One question I’d like to ask. What did we do before mobile phones?
Apologies again, stay safe

Thank you for your kind help, Terry. That was exactly what I was asking. I had been hoping for info regarding Del's experience with MiFi or whatever he was using, etc., as he seemed to post anytime anywhere, and I've often struggled getting a great signal whilst abroad.

Thanks Del, sorry about the delay in reply. I now understand what works for you. I'm a solo traveller when driving longer distances abroad as my wife loves home too much. I don't watch TV whilst in Europe, so it's not a problem for me either. When travelling solo, I'm generally far too busy to turn it on.

I do have a mifi unit as well . As I’m with Vodafone, I try to use a totally different service provider for that. 3 are pretty good, using their “ 3 with legs” SIM cards. That way, if one doesn’t work because of poor reception, the other one should.
My wife doesn’t travel with me either. The plus side is you get to pick what’s on the radio 😬
Vodafone gave me 90 days roaming. Last year, O2 cut me off without warning after 60 days. Leaving me without phone, navigation, hope. Reading the small print, fair enough, but a text from them wouldn’t have hurt. I bought a local French SIM card, which caused so many problems with my iPhone, it took months of going back and forth to Apple before it was sorted. Not chuffed 😤.
My brain. When I pop me clogs, I’m leaving it for a possible transplant. It’s never been used, and is still in the original packaging 🙄😳🥺
Thank you for your kind help, Terry. That was exactly what I was asking. I had been hoping for info regarding Del's experience with MiFi or whatever he was using, etc., as he seemed to post anytime anywhere, and I've often struggled getting a great signal whilst abroad.Thanks Del, sorry about the delay in reply. I now understand what works for you. I'm a solo traveller when driving longer distances abroad as my wife loves home too much. I don't watch TV whilst in Europe, so it's not a problem for me either. When travelling solo, I'm generally far too busy to turn it on.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back