Adventureb4Dementia3

We took three nights left mid morning Monday, tunnel Thurs 11.20. stopped Vitoria, Vendome and Bai de Somme. A few tolls where unavoidable or just more sense,and lots of N10. Then Chartres, Dreux,Everoux N154 then D6015 round Rouen. You are coming from further down and, quite honestly, no need to rush so four nights or even five. Agree, I am more concerned about driving in UK. But hoping it's been exaggerated!

We took three nights left mid morning Monday, tunnel Thurs 11.20. stopped Vitoria, Vendome and Bai de Somme. A few tolls where unavoidable or just more sense,and lots of N10. Then Chartres, Dreux,Everoux N154 then D6015 round Rouen. You are coming from further down and, quite honestly, no need to rush so four nights or even five. Agree, I am more concerned about driving in UK. But hoping it's been exaggerated!
Thanks for that. I’m still pretty much of a novice at this lark. I’ll check your route on the map tonight and see if I can use the same. I’d be happy to read more from you about returning home.

Reactions: Rec
Oh and it all went a bit wrong! Del, don't plan on staying near the tunnel.....we usually stop at Bai de Somme Aire an hour and half from tunnel, but as got there earlier decided Wissant or one of the other Aires nearer would be a better option. Don't do it! All shut even poi spots, so now on earlier train and parking overnight in stop 24 (£20) at Folkestone! Canterbury P&R closed. Tunnel won't let you stop longer than couple of hours in Calais...all carparks closed anyway. So if planning on stopping near, make it Bai de Somme or round that area. And then to add insult to injury, the car ahead of us was allowed on the 17.18 train, but we had to wait till the 19.18 at the front of the queue...get quite excited when he was waving extras through. Had time to have a cuppa, and a snack though so not all bad!

Bai de Somme it is then. It was going to be anyway 😇. If I can get an AM train, I’ll be able to get home that evening. Home is only three hours or so from Folkestone.
Today’s advice came in the form of a different route. Drive north in Portugal, to Vila Formosa, stopping there before crossing the border. Then onto Salamanca, getting into France in one day, following the E80.
When you wrote Vitoria, did you mean Vitoria Gasteiz?
Vendorm? The only Vendorm I can find is between Tours and Orleans. That can’t be right..
Other than that. This route looks like the one you’ve taken.

Reactions: Rec
Bai de Somme it is then. It was going to be anyway 😇. If I can get an AM train, I’ll be able to get home that evening. Home is only three hours or so from Folkestone.
Today’s advice came in the form of a different route. Drive north in Portugal, to Vila Formosa, stopping there before crossing the border. Then onto Salamanca, getting into France in one day, following the E80.
When you wrote Vitoria, did you mean Vitoria Gasteiz?
Vendorm? The only Vendorm I can find is between Tours and Orleans. That can’t be right..
Other than that. This route looks like the one you’ve taken.
Del, exactly the route we took out of Portugal, fuel on Spanish side at Vila Formosa. We followed E80 stopping Vitoria Gastiez, then Vendome ( yes, north of Tours off the N10) , then ended up here in Folkestone this evening, instead of leaving tomorrow morning. However this will leave us a good part of the day to wave at Kent family before driving 3 hrs to Suffolk for quarantine. Not that ANYONE on UK border suggested it! The only comment we had was " did we know UK was in lockdown" and I resisted the urge to be sarcastic and surprised.
Btw trains were only one an hour in the morning....seem to be 18 mins past the hour, and then after 17.18 one every two hours. But they are happy to put you on next available train so early seems no problem. Good luck with your trip!

Ruth wrote Vendome Del, https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.7733612,1.1457195,10.77z?hl=en

perhaps your next trip will be called Dementiab4Adventure :devilish::p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Had to look at your suggestion twice. You may have a point 🙄

Vendorm? Typo? Possibly thick fingers.
The reason I queried it was, because it seemed a long way east. Don’t forget, I’m continently inept.
Taken the time to look at the larger scale French route map, not the page by page road atlas in my Phillips Multiscale.
Now I can see a better picture of Rec’s route home better. While turning pages, 154 to 148 to 150 to 142 etcetera, it’s so easy to loose the plot. Well for me it was. Now I can see it’s pretty much the route I’d intended to take. Great minds, or what? 🙄
Sounds like I’m looking forward to the trip home, but...
As this trip is coming to an end, I’m wondering when, or if, there’ll be a Adventureb4Dementia4

Last edited:
Don't overthink it del ! You know when I set off it was planned to be a 5 day cruise back to baie de Somme in the event made it easily in 4 (though we used tolls) and could have gone over that evening , we used the motorway services helped by the fact we were in convoy but I seriously wouldn't worry about using them again they are so quite with the lockdown, you probably remember one route we thought of was to go up to guarda spend a last night in Portugal then hop across Spain in one go 400 MLS , there are no wrong routes just better for different reasons relax enjoy it and safe passage,

Me ? Overthink things?
Again, I resemble that remark.
Tbh Ken, it’s so warm here, mid 30’s. Doing anything other than planning things, be it route home, altering the solar, how long I’ll spend in the shower when I get back, is difficult. And no, I’m not looking for sympathy. Nic has told me of some of the jobs waiting for me to do when I get home. I’m treating this time as getting ready for the onslaught. That’s when I’ll be looking for sympathy. And a helping hand.😬

Trip back in UK was fine, didn't put a sign in my window...far more traffic than I expected, not just mainly lorries as in France and Spain. Even had to contend with a traffic queue :rolleyes: . Now isolating for two weeks.
Have a good trip back, Del!
you won't be bored on your return, by sounds of it!

Going to get the van ready for an early start tomorrow. It would be a great help if the weather played ball. Rained in the night, and we are still getting heavy showers this morning. I've things to put in the garage. Trouble is, if I open the back doors, the bed gets wet. Not ideal. Hopefully, things will improve later.
Not sure what to expect on returning to the UK. Masks, no masks. Self isolating. After being safe for 5 or 6 weeks here, I'm probably at more risk in Northampton, Northampton is of me.
Talking of masks. I saw a great video on YouTube. "Jan Howell. No sew, up cycle, t shirt." Easypeasy. Even I managed to make it look good. Well chuffed with it.
Half my, " Don't blame me, I voted remain", t shirt was sacreficed. Only the bottom half, the logo is intact, as is the sentiment behind it.🖕 And it made two masks. The only reason that one was used was, eh, to be honest it was a bit, not sure of the correct word here, um, Snug? Not exactly figure enhancing :giggle:
Stay safe

Bon voyage Del.
It's always nice to leave in when the weather is rubbish, I know it's a pain loading but you will still have that feeling that you left at the right time.
Enjoy the trip and keep us informed of your progress.

Just looked at the weather forecast for Pomarao again can't stop myself lol , wet week this week not above 22deg all week but the week after is heavenly , enjoy your trip del & Bon voyage

Bon voyage Del.
It's always nice to leave in when the weather is rubbish, I know it's a pain loading but you will still have that feeling that you left at the right time.
Enjoy the trip and keep us informed of your progress.
The joy of warm wet weather, is it doesn’t take long to dry stuff. So all loaded, walk taken, Nic phoned, all is right with the world 😇.
Only 1500 miles to an hour in the shower, meals I know have been cooked properly, a possibly a cuddle 😘

The joy of warm wet weather, is it doesn’t take long to dry stuff. So all loaded, walk taken, Nic phoned, all is right with the world 😇.
Only 1500 miles to an hour in the shower, meals I know have been cooked properly, a possibly a cuddle 😘
Oooh e're possibly to much info.
I'm trying to work out how it will work from 2 metres away.
Now you have a good sleep tonight, no going partying or watching late movies, you meed to be all bright eyed and bushy tailed for tomorrow's adventure.
😁😉👍

That was a wet one. Almost like Portugal was crying because I was leaving. Spain was also wet, probably because I’d arrived lol.
Got as far as Burgos. Spent the night in a field, under a wind generator. That’s almost a third of the way home. Poitier is the aim for today. We’ll see how it goes. I’m planning a four day trip, five wouldn’t hurt .
Can’t sit around writing this stuff, got miles to do😬

Just south of Poitiers with under 600kms left to go. Train booked for midday Thursday. Wet and cold day, a bit better this evening. Certainly not a day for walking around or leisure activities, so driving seemed the best thing to do. Since the decision was made to go home, just want it done.
I’m in a village called Chatillon. Next to the Marie. Be a great stop for the night, if left alone. 90 minutes so far. I’ll be gone by 8am, if not moved on before 😇🤞

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back