Air compressor

RoaminRog

A little late in life but, I have treated myself to an air compressor.
I was fed up to the teeth, with buying 12v tyre inflators that would simply not be man enough for the job, no matter how impressive the specifications on the advert.
Don’t know anything about compressors, but felt comfortable ordering a Wolf Sioux 25 9.6 cfm which can handle 116 psi, more than adequate for my van tyres. The rear tyres need 66 psi, and the front 55psi.
I have also heard horrendous tales about plastic hose, therefore I went for 15m of rubber hose fitted with male and female ends.
I shall be on the lookout now for useful air tools to use with my new toy!

Articulated vehicles have been using plastic brake lines for a long time now, what problems have you heard about?

Articulated vehicles have been using plastic brake lines for a long time now, what problems have you heard about?
Apparently they become very brittle, similar to plastic garden furniture, and have caused accidents in the past. Again don’t know anything about the world of air compressors, but erred on the side of caution.

A little late in life but, I have treated myself to an air compressor.
I was fed up to the teeth, with buying 12v tyre inflators that would simply not be man enough for the job, no matter how impressive the specifications on the advert.
Don’t know anything about compressors, but felt comfortable ordering a Wolf Sioux 25 9.6 cfm which can handle 116 psi, more than adequate for my van tyres. The rear tyres need 66 psi, and the front 55psi.
I have also heard horrendous tales about plastic hose, therefore I went for 15m of rubber hose fitted with male and female ends.
I shall be on the lookout now for useful air tools to use with my new toy!
Nice one Roger.Ive had a compressor for a good few years now and it’s so much easier to use .

Apparently they become very brittle, similar to plastic garden furniture, and have caused accidents in the past. Again don’t know anything about the world of air compressors, but erred on the side of caution.
I have a rubber hose with a coiled nylon pipe extension, not had a problem so far and had the plastic hose for at least 7 years. As far as tools go I find a die grinder is useful, you can use them like a Dremel but no electricity involved, most useful though is the tyre inflator. Oh and another two items would be the paraffin spray gun and a gun for injecting rust proofing oils into box sections, all fairly cheap but useful.

Thanks Nigel, any particular brand you would recommend?
i bought one of these for stapling, pretty good tool.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633524-Gauge-Nailer-Stapler/dp/B000LG0VVQ you can spend more if you like , i have a stanley one as well , but it's no better , just more than twice the price !
i would suggest getting 15mm, 25mm and 50mm 18g brads to start off. these can easily be pulled right through the wood with side-cutters if you mess up
be aware this stapler may have a 'bump' facility , which i like , it means that if you hold the trigger down , the gun will fire every time you tap it on the wood , but will also fire into your leg if you forget !

I have a rubber hose with a coiled nylon pipe extension, not had a problem so far and had the plastic hose for at least 7 years. As far as tools go I find a die grinder is useful, you can use them like a Dremel but no electricity involved, most useful though is the tyre inflator. Oh and another two items would be the paraffin spray gun and a gun for injecting rust proofing oils into box sections, all fairly cheap but useful.
Excellent information thanks. I’m on a learning curve here, so all advice appreciated.

i bought one of these for stapling, pretty good tool.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633524-Gauge-Nailer-Stapler/dp/B000LG0VVQ you can spend more if you like , i have a stanley one as well , but it's no better , just more than twice the price !
i would suggest getting 15mm, 25mm and 50mm 18g brads to start off. these can easily be pulled right through the wood with side-cutters if you mess up
be aware this stapler may have a 'bump' facility , which i like , it means that if you hold the trigger down , the gun will fire every time you tap it on the wood , but will also fire into your leg if you forget !

Ouch! Thanks. What do you think of Wolfs own make? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-Air...p-50mm-Nails-Up-to-40mm-Staples-/252718449773
I’m impressed by the quality of their compressor.

• Well Done
Reactions: Lee
Good move roamin , seen them cheaper than some portables .
This one retailed at £79.99 including delivery. Ok I have to buy a couple of extras in order to check my tyres, but at least I can now leave for every trip knowing that tyres are one less thing to worry about. Plus it means that I can keep the engine bay free from dust and leaves etc.

A little heads up for the new compressor owner ...
There are three common but different standard of quick release connectors. One is clearly different, but the other two look similar but are not interchangable.
Lidl is a good source of occasional air tools - being German, their tools use the "euro" connector (I think it is called "Euro". It is also know as the "Full Flow" connector).
It is easy enough to get a connector changed from one to another if you find a tool you like but it has the wrong connector on it - I think I paid around £6 a few months ago to get the 'wrong' connector removed on a hose and a replacement fitted by a local agricultural tools supplier.

A little heads up for the new compressor owner ...
There are three common but different standard of quick release connectors. One is clearly different, but the other two look similar but are not interchangable.
Lidl is a good source of occasional air tools - being German, their tools use the "euro" connector (I think it is called "Euro". It is also know as the "Full Flow" connector).
It is easy enough to get a connector changed from one to another if you find a tool you like but it has the wrong connector on it - I think I paid around £6 a few months ago to get the 'wrong' connector removed on a hose and a replacement fitted by a local agricultural tools supplier.
Interesting stuff, my neighbour (4x4 man) has just been to Lidl’s and come back with an air kit which includes a tyre inflator and a blow gun for the amazing price of £6.99!
I have checked and the connectors fit my compressor. ?

Rodger If you keep looking at Lidl they do a good range of tools for the compressor I’ve got one with all the attachments and tools they get it in about 3 times a year the tool brand is Parkside ok for around the house

Rodger If you keep looking at Lidl they do a good range of tools for the compressor I’ve got one with all the attachments and tools they get it in about 3 times a year the tool brand is Parkside ok for around the house
Thanks Wully, yes this kit is Parkside. I would like to get my hands on their Impact Driver when it comes around again, fantastic for checking wheelnuts.

might be worth looking at KOMPERNASS .for parkside stuff i bought a battery off them after the shop ran out, same price as shop oh yeah , wolf is probanly ok , they're not a very complicated tool

I use Lidl or Aldi tools with my compressor, I only used expensive tools in my workshop but for home use it doesn't warrant it, both shops give a 3yr warranty and even I don't have that lol-049.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back