Air Fryers,

Trigger

My wife has a bug about an Air Fryer and wants to get one, does any of you have one and are they as good as the adverts say they are, we rarely use our oven at home as my wife likes her Remouska, and she is a fantastic cook, so bring it on I say, are Air Fryers a dirty appliance? In the old days we had a deep fat fryer, that was a dirty appliance really hard to clean, what Air fryer would you recommend buying, my wife likes the idea of one with a rotisserie and also the ability to de hydrate food in it as well, but we are open to all types really, not looking to save Electricity, just don't want to buy another white elephant as the stable is full, hee hee.

My wife has a bug about an Air Fryer and wants to get one, does any of you have one and are they as good as the adverts say they are, we rarely use our oven at home as my wife likes her Remouska, and she is a fantastic cook, so bring it on I say, are Air Fryers a dirty appliance? In the old days we had a deep fat fryer, that was a dirty appliance really hard to clean, what Air fryer would you recommend buying, my wife likes the idea of one with a rotisserie and also the ability to de hydrate food in it as well, but we are open to all types really, not looking to save Electricity, just don't want to buy another white elephant as the stable is full, hee hee.
I have been using a Tefal air fryer for years at home. Ours is the type that has a rotating paddle and tumbles whatever it is that you are cooking. It’s on it’s last legs but I would certainly by another one maybe not the same type as the modern versions are more versatile. It’s not “dirty” as only small amounts of oil need to be added and they are easy to clean. You need to do your research as there appears to be a big price range.

We have a Tefal Actifry XL or whatever ...
It's got a deep bit with,a stirry thing
And a top pan that rotates,at the same time ...
Very efficient power wise AND fast ....does lots of things well and crispy BUT
It's not a cure all for cooking everything
Though it's reduced the use of our oven by about 99% for the likes of chips/pies/pastry things
Sausages/chicken etc etc great

IF I replaced it (which I would if it wore out ....)
I go for the dual basket type to give,more practical cooking space and forgo the stirry thing .

BUT wouldn't be without one now

also have the tefal actifry had it for about a year bought it for the van so pleased weve bought another for home , perfect. for wedges. chips etc also great for part baked bread rolls etc , must admit that it has become our go to device , like the O P i was hesitant thinking it would join the other white elephants in the cupboard but really would get another tomorrow

I have a Tefal Actifry and use it at least a couple of times a week at home, so another vote from me. If you get one buy the book "Skinny Actifry Cookbook" and it'll help you get more use out of it. I have a good half a dozen recipes which I use from there...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinny-ActiFry-Cookbook-Guilt-free-Delicious/dp/1909855340

Martin Lewis has some codes on Ninja ones at the mo. I haven't got one but it may be of use?...

I have a dual basket jobby. Definitely handy over thr single basket type had before.
Lakeland have a 20 % discount code currently which makes their price very good on the two they sell.

We have a cheap nobby-no-name one with a clockwork timer. The knob has fallen apart and we have to use pliers, so you can't set or read the cooking time now. It has a dodgy basket connection and turns itself off regularly part way through cooking, until you nudge the basket handle to the right. It was only about £50 a few years ago from Von Haus.

Having said all that it is great for baked spuds, roasties, sausages, fish cakes, burgers etc. (Wild duck tends to set the smoke alarms off.) Our naughty lazy dinner is baked potatoes with a couple of burgers chucked in for the last 10 minutes.

We are going to get another one and our only must is that it is digital.

We have a cheap nobby-no-name one with a clockwork timer. The knob has fallen apart and we have to use pliers, so you can't set or read the cooking time now.
Reminds of the first tefal air fryer I got. Was very good but had the mechanic timer and the temps written against a temp dial. Cleaned it with something and all thr writing came off! Had no idea what temp was set :)
In thr end just wrote numbers on with a sharpie :D

It has a dodgy basket connection and turns itself off regularly part way through cooking, until you nudge the basket handle to the right. It was only about £50 a few years ago from Von Haus.

Having said all that it is great for baked spuds, roasties, sausages, fish cakes, burgers etc. (Wild duck tends to set the smoke alarms off.) Our naughty lazy dinner is baked potatoes with a couple of burgers chucked in for the last 10 minutes.

We are going to get another one and our only must is that it is digital.

Have large model bought from Costco. We use a smaller 900w unit bought from Lidl that we use in MH, used last night in fact, powered by the Jackery. Really good, saves firing up the van oven to heat small food items.

We use a small Tefal one it's only 2ltrs but big enough for a couple of portions of chips. It's not got a basket just a metal base with holes in it. The pan itself is non stick so very easy to keep clean. Over the years we have tried most things but have now settled on a Charcoal BBQ, Remoska, Induction Hob, Tefal Air Fryer and Gas Hob. I took the oven out it was useless and fitted a drawer instead.

Air fryer. Doesn’t fry. It’s a mini fan assisted oven , if anything.
Got mine from Asda about £35. Only small, but ideal for the solo traveler.
Tbh. One of the most useful things I’ve got in the van. Oven chips daily. 😬
Can be used for anything you’d do in an oven.

thinking removing the oven and of getting one like my daughters 10-1 including rotisserie the only problem is as part of tower assembly it would still be 5’6“ foot of the floor and dangerous getting hot stuff out ?IMG_1454.jpeg

We went to Eastleigh today to Robert Dyas to look at the Air Fryers they have on sale, very helpful lady assistant and a large range of Air Fryers on show, got some good ideas and info there, as someone has said, not really Fryers but ovens more like, the name Fryer is slightly off putting as don't want to eat too much fried stuff but not like that is it, so Yes the Mem Sahb wants one but not made up her mind which one yet, she initially wanted a rotisiery one but now seems to be wavering, we get our new Virgin TV and Broadband today as we cancelled it all when the price was increased and on return home last week I renegotiated a new deal with them and got a better package with them for £5 a month less than we were paying then,
So can get on line properly and see what is out there and in fact the door bell has just rung and a box of gubbins from Virgin has arrived so I will get stuck in and see if I can get it up and running, real pain in the but trying do on line stuff on my phone I find, too small a key pad and too fat fingers hee hee.

Air fryer. Doesn’t fry. It’s a mini fan assisted oven , if anything.
I would agree that is a much closer description of the device.

Got mine from Asda about £35. Only small, but ideal for the solo traveler.
Tbh. One of the most useful things I’ve got in the van. Oven chips daily. 😬
Can be used for anything you’d do in an oven.
I had a small Tefal unit ans we decided to get a much fancier dual basket one which has proven a very worthwhile purchase.
But instead of moving the small one to the Motorhome, which would have been the sensible thing to do, we gave it to the OHs father 🥴

However, to be fair, he does use it quite a bit and it gets used more than if it were in the MH. But it does mean I need to look for a new small one for the van now :oops:

Julie bought a ninja air fryer brilliant bit of kit we use it all the time much quicker than using the fan oven and easy to clean.like others have said don't overload them or won't cook evenly. Best to pull draw out and give food a good shake and cooks perfect

I have the Tower Air Fryer Oven which zi think your wife is thinking of with the rossiter I use mine daily. My son recommended it to me both owned about 2yrs And I brought one for my other son. Cooks chicken chips sausages roast potatoes cakes easy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back