ARe you running CP rated tyres?

PeteS

Ive just changed my tyres for Michelin Agilis CrossCountry tyres, they are new and meet the load requirements for my Bailey moho.
As the max pressure is 65psi I asked Michelin what pressures I should be running, they have comeback with pressures but also that they are not CP rated so do not meet the ETRTO directive on motorhome tyres and as such cannot recommend them as a motorhome tyre although they go out of there way to say that they are safe to use.

Apparently us motorhomers cant be trusted not to overload our vans and as such the CP rated tyre is designed to be heavily abused by including a safety margin.

CP tyres are only available from Michelin, Continental and Pirelli so limited choice of 3 tyres.

The CrossClimates are almost an all terrain tyre very good in the wet and snow and grass apparently.

So Michelin have offered to change my tyres back to a Camping tyre if I want foc as there website is misleading but I dont really want to change, so is anybody else running commercial van tyres succesfully?

No, i got rid of the gawd damned awful Michelin XC Camping that was on it from new and went onto commercial tyres, never had a problem.

Those Michelin cross climates should be great tyres for a camper

Looking forward to hear how you get on with them on greasy wet grass etc

how does the road noise compare to your previous tyres ?

Those Michelin cross climates should be great tyres for a camper

Looking forward to hear how you get on with them on greasy wet grass etc

how does the road noise compare to your previous tyres ?

I cant tell any difference re noise yet to drive on a motorway though.

Continental have just recommended that I fit ContiVan Contact 100’s to my mh as they no longer make the VanCo 2. I think these are a commercial tyre rather than a camper tyre but not yet sure.

Hankook Vanco m+s tyres (Van Tyres) on ours. Very happy with them.
You will need the m+s tyres if you use your van around many countries in Europe during winter months.

To meet some European regulations the tyre wall must have the three peaks symbol M+S is not sufficient

CP tyres NOT available in my size So it cant apply to me

And my Factory built motor home was delivered on plain ordinary commercial van tyres from new

So, does every van converter in the UK change the standard van tyre that comes on the new base vehicle to special motorhome ones?, I seriously doubt it so there must be some acceptable tolerance on tyre types.

This subject confuses me greatly. As I half understand it, the camper tyres have harder walls and are optimised for longer stationary spells and lower mileage, amongst other things. So my pvc came with CP tyres. But my usage pattern is higher mileage and more regular use. The van has just gone over 20k miles, and the fronts are showing signs of wear and look close to needing to be replaced. I think I would be better off with standard tyres, and don't see the need for CP. Since the van is based on a parcel van, it seems more logical to me. And I'm not keen on Michelins anyway, Though there's not a lot of logic there, it's a prejudice that goes back to my 50's VW beetle.

Also as far as i am aware there are no winter tyres rated CP ?

Could be wrong on this but if correct how would you abide by the rules in Germany during the winter months

Hankook Vanco m+s tyres (Van Tyres) on ours. Very happy with them.
You will need the m+s tyres if you use your van around many countries in Europe during winter months.
I spoke to Hankook, they said they did not recommend theirs for motorhome. Vredestein however did recommend their Comtrac all seasons so I got theirs, and been very happy with them. Agree CP tyres wore quickly, were far too hard at vehicle manufacturers pressures, and were crap on snow, ice, mud or wet grass...even on steep wet roads.

I spoke to Hankook, they said they did not recommend theirs for motorhome. Vredestein however did recommend their Comtrac all seasons so I got theirs, and been very happy with them. Agree CP tyres wore quickly, were far too hard at vehicle manufacturers pressures, and were crap on snow, ice, mud or wet grass...even on steep wet roads.
Don’t shoot me if this is wrong but I have just been in contact with Continental and they are saying to just load van and get on a weighbridge then send them actual axle weight. They will then tell me what pressure I should use.

If a tyre is correct for the rims (and rims are correct for vehicle) and tyres take the pressure for the weight and loading an insurance company could not refuse to pay out. If changing rims away from standard it would be notifiable but that’s about it.

We have commercial van tyres with load ratings higher than our old Continental Vanco tyres. They have the mountain logo on them so are acceptable in winter everywhere. We also have chains.
When we had our RV, we had commercial tyres on that too, they don’t make Camper or RV specific tyres.
I very much doubt any insurance company would insist you had CP rated tyres on a motorhome though, as long as the load rating is correct different tyres shouldnt be classed as a modification.
Unless somebody has discussed this with their insurers, it sounds like an urban myth.

We have commercial van tyres with load ratings higher than our old Continental Vanco tyres. They have the mountain logo on them so are acceptable in winter everywhere. We also have chains.
When we had our RV, we had commercial tyres on that too, they don’t make Camper or RV specific tyres.
I very much doubt any insurance company would insist you had CP rated tyres on a motorhome though, as long as the load rating is correct different tyres shouldnt be classed as a modification.
Unless somebody has discussed this with their insurers, it sounds like an urban myth.

Can you tell me what size your rims and tyres are please? I am looking at replacing soon but struggling to find high load things in my size, have one recommended by Continental so far but would like a higher rating if possible

I have checked with Comfort Insurance and their reply was "From an insurance point of view, we advise that the Motorhome, including the tyres, must remain road legal at all times."

So as far as they are concerned you do not need CP rated tyres, plus they now know what tyres I have on the van

I use higher load and ply rated tyres than the motorhome originally came with from new.

It came with 113/111, 8ply rated tyres and i now use 116/114, 10ply rated tyres.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back