ARe you running CP rated tyres?

Can you tell me what size your rims and tyres are please? I am looking at replacing soon but struggling to find high load things in my size, have one recommended by Continental so far but would like a higher rating if possible
Sorry for the late reply, our tyres are 225/70 R15C. Load rating is 112/110R. The load rating shows the max weight the tyre will safely carry, in this case, 112 relates to max load of 1120kg for single axles and the second figure of 110 relates to 1060kg for twin axles with a speed rating of R which equates to 105mph.
Our old tyres were rated at 109/R, with a max load of 1030kg, the van is 3500kg and the tyres load ratings are well above the single axle capacities.
Insurance companies and Police are only interested in knowing that the tyres load ratings match or are better than the original tyres. As long as the new tyres are the same load rating or higher than the manufacturers originals, All is good.

Sorry for the late reply, our tyres are 225/70 R15C. Load rating is 112/110R. The load rating shows the max weight the tyre will safely carry, in this case, 112 relates to max load of 1120kg for single axles and the second figure of 110 relates to 1060kg for twin axles with a speed rating of R which equates to 105mph.
Our old tyres were rated at 109/R, with a max load of 1030kg, the van is 3500kg and the tyres load ratings are well above the single axle capacities.
Insurance companies and Police are only interested in knowing that the tyres load ratings match or are better than the original tyres. As long as the new tyres are the same load rating or higher than the manufacturers originals, All is good.
I seem to have a problem where I have same size tyres and rims but rear axle is stamped at 2430kg’s and van was up rated to 4t, All the updating went on the back axle by the looks of it

Yes, Michelin Agilis 225/75 R16CP but only because they came with the PVC.

AutoTrail specify 5.5bar (79.8psi) on all four wheels and as the ride and steering feels fine, I'll leave it as the manual specifies.

It'll be interesting to see how it handles on snow/mud in the UK.

I am pretty sure that XC Camping are pretty old tyres and were replaced several years ago by the Agylis Camping tyre.
The old XC were notorious for cracking on the sidewall!
Had Agylis on 3 vans and no problems, but they are a softer compound and wear a little quicker

That was back in 2007 when i got rid of the XC Camping tyres and went onto commercials.

I seem to have a problem where I have same size tyres and rims but rear axle is stamped at 2430kg’s and van was up rated to 4t, All the updating went on the back axle by the looks of it
What is the load index on your current tyres? I think they should be at least 116.

What is the load index on your current tyres? I think they should be at least 116.
112/110, having been in touch with Continental though they don’t think it will be anywhere near that and they said to get it weighed fully load3d and send them the weights. I have the new axle weight plate from SVTech underneaath the original. Front axle the same but rear is 2240 on one and 2430 on the other.

Just bought 7 new commercial van tyres for mine as recommended by my local tyre guy, only done a few miles but so far so good and hardly any road noise.

Our commercial van tyres are very quiet too, I remember our Vanco Camper tyres seemed to rumble a bit.

Well joy of joy's I have just received a definitive answer, you cannot get a 15" tyre suitable for my van so it has been running with wrong wheels and tyres since it was uprated in 2012.

Having someone take a look what clearance there is on Saturday to move to 16" but its going to be a lot more than expected for just tyres. I suppose I could downplay it but...

I was advised by my insurance company to always fit camping tyres. The stated that most companies when dealing get with a claim send out a claims person to inspect the vehicle due to their high value and one of their first inspections is the type of tyre that has been fitted. If they are not camping tyres they immediately refuse the claim.
Camping tyres are manufactured to withstand long periods of non movement and thus keeps your van safer.
I have always run on camping gear tyres.

Can you share with us which insurance company has this policy?

So i can avoid them as no CP tyres are manufactured in the size to fit my factory built Sprinter based MH

Posting this in case anyone finds themselves in the same predicament that I have been in. Our van had a weight upgrade carried out in 2012 and it resulted in the rear axle coming in at 2430. When I started looking I didn’t really understand much about how axle weights and tyres and loads worked but it soon became obvious that the highest rated tyre available on a 15” rim was a 112/110 which was not high enough.

It’s been a stressful few weeks trying to get a solution made worse as I have struggled to find a 16” rim that would fit and take the load. During this time I have been in contact with various manufacturers, wheel and tyre companies and SVTech. After visiting a tyre centre on Saturday it was looking grim for clearance on a 16” rim with the tyre Continental recommended.

Kept asking questions and bouncing info back and forth and SVTech have given me the answer (well Continental had given it to me but hadn’t explained it). So, if you have a van on 15” wheels with a rear (or front) axle weight above 2240kgs here is the answer. I am copying what SVTech have confirmed below:

‘Continental are the only tyre manufacturer that offer a dual rated 225/70R15 tyre. Although on the internet and all sources will show the tyre load rating of 112/110, the specific Continental Vanco Contact 100 has an extra rating of 115N. Very unique and no other manufacturer offers this option’

Now trying to get 4 fitted Thursday afternoon before I set off for Hereford :)

And my Factory built motor home was delivered on plain ordinary commercial van tyres from new
So was ours, ie, a Hymer E690 (Tandem axled) with 7 x Goodyear Cargo (incl the spare).
The Hymer manual gives the tyre pressures for both Commercial, and Camper tyres. (y)

I always fit quality Commercial tyres, with as high a ply and load rating as possible. My best yet for grip on wet grass, snow, and icy surfaces, were the Bridgestone Blizzak range. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Continental have just recommended that I fit ContiVan Contact 100’s to my mh as they no longer make the VanCo 2. I think these are a commercial tyre rather than a camper tyre but not yet sure.
hi i was also recommended the contact 100 by continental and have had them for 3 years and around 15k miles with no problems hold the road fine and never had a problem on grass

barry

Posting this in case anyone finds themselves in the same predicament that I have been in. Our van had a weight upgrade carried out in 2012 and it resulted in the rear axle coming in at 2430. When I started looking I didn’t really understand much about how axle weights and tyres and loads worked but it soon became obvious that the highest rated tyre available on a 15” rim was a 112/110 which was not high enough.

It’s been a stressful few weeks trying to get a solution made worse as I have struggled to find a 16” rim that would fit and take the load. During this time I have been in contact with various manufacturers, wheel and tyre companies and SVTech. After visiting a tyre centre on Saturday it was looking grim for clearance on a 16” rim with the tyre Continental recommended.

Kept asking questions and bouncing info back and forth and SVTech have given me the answer (well Continental had given it to me but hadn’t explained it). So, if you have a van on 15” wheels with a rear (or front) axle weight above 2240kgs here is the answer. I am copying what SVTech have confirmed below:

‘Continental are the only tyre manufacturer that offer a dual rated 225/70R15 tyre. Although on the internet and all sources will show the tyre load rating of 112/110, the specific Continental Vanco Contact 100 has an extra rating of 115N. Very unique and no other manufacturer offers this option’

Now trying to get 4 fitted Thursday afternoon before I set off for Hereford :)

Hi, sounds like you are sorted now. But thought I would post this anyway.... Are your wheels 5 or 6 stud ones?
I suspect they are 5 as your base vehicle was originally 3.5t. The heavier sprinter Mk1 (and VW LT variant) came with 6 stud 15" wheels and the 16" inch from the later model was a straight swapover.
Clearance for bigger wheels and tyres doesn't seem to be an issue, but it will affect the speed and acceleration if you change of course. I went from 195/70 to 215/70 (so a small increase only) on my dually to get better effective gearing and the Speedo now under reads by around 2% (for some reason the final drive on the dually is much lower than the single rear wheel and MB & VW fit 195 as standard instead of the 215 on the single wheel)

Ive just changed my tyres for Michelin Agilis CrossCountry tyres, they are new and meet the load requirements for my Bailey moho.
As the max pressure is 65psi I asked Michelin what pressures I should be running, they have comeback with pressures but also that they are not CP rated so do not meet the ETRTO directive on motorhome tyres and as such cannot recommend them as a motorhome tyre although they go out of there way to say that they are safe to use.

Apparently us motorhomers cant be trusted not to overload our vans and as such the CP rated tyre is designed to be heavily abused by including a safety margin.

CP tyres are only available from Michelin, Continental and Pirelli so limited choice of 3 tyres.

The CrossClimates are almost an all terrain tyre very good in the wet and snow and grass apparently.

So Michelin have offered to change my tyres back to a Camping tyre if I want foc as there website is misleading but I dont really want to change, so is anybody else running commercial van tyres succesfully?
To clarify, is it CrossCountry or CrossClimates you have fitted? They are quite different.

I wasn't aware Michelin increased their range of CrossClimates to cover the higher load levels needed on a large Van or MH. If they have and they ARE available, probably a great choice. I fitted Cross Climates to my Citroen DS5 and they are the best tyres I have ever used! they really do what is claimed and allowed my to sell the Winter Wheel set that used to run on for 6 months a year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back