B2B Battery 2 Battery charger

Sounds like a plan. As you know, I like the Victron Multiplus's and the EasyPlus (which is a Multiplus 1600 plus a Consumer Unit Combo for less money than a Multiplus on its own) is a very nice unit

Ref the disconnect to the charger when Solar is active. With the EasyPlus I am using the BMS Assistant so I can disable the Charging function of the MultiPlus whenever I want to. That way I can keep the AC live at the same time if I want to. Currently it is just driven by a remote relay but you could easily drive it by other means I am sure. I have that in place ready for when Solar comes into the picture (maybe drive it from the Victron MPPTs load output programmed in some way, but you have a host of options in your monitoring setup).

I do like the idea of a redundancy (I snipped a wire to disable my intergrated split-charge but might add a switch so I can re-enable if I had a need to).
If you assume a 0.7V drop on the diode, I guess potentially an alternator at 14V or so could start putting some charge into a charged battery bank if you have some load on it that takes away the 'surface charge'? would that be a concern? You could add in a relay in series and so manually (or automatically from an appropriate signal) disable to stop it happening?

Must say I would have concerns about higher currents than designed going through PCB tracks. The Nord might be different, but the typical PCB for any product is not usually overendowed with thick copper tracking.
Maybe ask Jonathan about how a B2B acts when the load is removed? I think I have had a similar discussion when looking at my VSR/B2B combo where that happens but was quite a while ago when we were just chewing the fat. Nothing untoward ever happened, but worth an chat maybe?

@wildebus
Thinking about the diode in the Starter Battery lead, this makes the B2B connection similar to the Solar connection in as much as its just connected to the Leisure Battery terminals.

Do you sell/know/recommend any diodes that fit neatly, perhaps encapsulated allowing a safer neater install? Thanks

@wildebus
Thinking about the diode in the Starter Battery lead, this makes the B2B connection similar to the Solar connection in as much as its just connected to the Leisure Battery terminals.

Do you sell/know/recommend any diodes that fit neatly, perhaps encapsulated allowing a safer neater install? Thanks
Sorry, I don't.

@wildebus

I had considered putting the B2B in the line between the Starter Battery and the Nord's J1 connection, this could be fine with a 30 Amp B2B but would the PCB survive with a 60 Amp B2B and Lithium? Also if RE1 opened how does a B2B respond when the path to the battery it's charging is suddenly removed?

@Philip Tomlinson .
Hi, I came across this thread via a Google search. I'm currently researching adding a B2B to my Dreamer D55 which has the Nordelettronica NE196 and am planning to install a Sterling BB1230 between the starter battery and J1 along with a Sterling 100Ah lithium battery. I was also concerned about the current capacity of the NE196 and so I emailed Nordelettronica customer support. They sent me the attached reply, confirming that the capacity of the circuit around J1 and J2 is 70 amps, so I would be comfortable with my choice, but you may have concerns if you are installing a 60amp B2B.

Attachments

• Image 24-02-2021 at 21.43.jpg
    Image 24-02-2021 at 21.43.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi, I came across this thread via a Google search. I'm currently researching adding a B2B to my Dreamer D55 which has the Nordelettronica NE196 and am planning to install a Sterling BB1230 between the starter battery and J1 along with a Sterling 100Ah lithium battery. I was also concerned about the current capacity of the NE196 and so I emailed Nordelettronica customer support. They sent me the attached reply, confirming that the capacity of the circuit around J1 and J2 is 70 amps, so I would be comfortable with my choice, but you may have concerns if you are installing a 60amp B2B.

See my post Thread 'Fitting a Victron B2B in a 2017 Fiat Ducato' https://motorhomer.com/threads/fitting-a-victron-b2b-in-a-2017-fiat-ducato.43435/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back