Charging Leisure Batteries via EV points.

It has been discussed I believe but I can’t see it working. Most streets I know once you park the street fills up so if on a charger you would have nowhere to move to when full if you were inclined to go out to move the car. Those in flats and houses with on street parking mostly don’t have an option to charge without using ev charge points. It the reason I went hybrid instead of full ev.

I have had Hybrid cars for over 10 years now. They are far to expensive so this time we bought a non electric, non hybrid that does 52 mpg. It has to be parked on the road as the insurance don't like the MH parked on the road and I would think the neighbours may also be unhappy. Parked on the road there would be nowhere to charge an electric vehicle and I have better things to do with my time than sit in a charging bay.

I watched Jonny Smith yesterday featuring a new EV £26k, Chinese and he rated it quite highly, BYD Build your dream FFS, across the back.

Bruce has 540Ah of LFP batteries. The correct calculation to work out the Watt hour capacity of the bank is 540 x 12.8v = 6,912 Wh.

Bruce recharged his van at Tesco who charge 28p per kWh. The total cost to recharge the battery bank would be 6.912 kWh x £0.28 = £1.94.
No, the calculation required is the capacity in Ah multiplied by the voltage when charging, not the voltage when discharging.

2kW on a 230V UK Default Voltage is 8.7A (AC remember) - well within the capability of a standard 16A hookup cable.
It's a very long time since I've seen a UK mains supply that is as low as 230v. Mostly they are tapped to run a little over 240. My house sometimes gets up to 251 but never down as far as 235.

Very important with EVs to know the real world miles per KW as that is the only way to draw a direct comparison between the fuel costs.

Mine is relatively economical never drops below 3.9m/kw and is usually around 4.5. Charging at domestic prices that is approx the equivalent of an average 60-70mpg.

Many new EVs and seem to be sacrificing efficiency for excessive performance with 2.5-3m/kw and in real terms may be doing less mpg than the equivalent ice vehicle despite the £15-20,000 price premium.

I hate to think what the mpg equivalent is for some of the EV vans as the price premium for those is even higher

Very important with EVs to know the real world miles per KW as that is the only way to draw a direct comparison between the fuel costs.

Mine is relatively economical never drops below 3.9m/kw and is usually around 4.5. Charging at domestic prices that is approx the equivalent of an average 60-70mpg.

Many new EVs and seem to be sacrificing efficiency for excessive performance with 2.5-3m/kw and in real terms may be doing less mpg than the equivalent ice vehicle despite the £15-20,000 price premium.

I hate to think what the mpg equivalent is for some of the EV vans as the price premium for those is even higher
At 4 miles per KWh of battery capacity, if you are paying 58p per KWh (typical rate round here) that works out at 14.5p per mile.

With petrol at 132.7p per litre (the lowest price within 5 miles of where I am at present) that's £6.02 per gallon, so to pay 14.5p per mile you'd have to get 602/14.5 = 41.5mpg. Many cars can easily better that.

To make your EV do the equivalent of 65mpg you'd have to be paying the domestic rate of 34p per KWh. That's reasonable if you are charging at home, but this thread is about charging at public EV chargers, isn't it?

Of course the other factor is battery replacement. Per mile, I guess this could be as expensive as the electricity. I don't know though.

How long will batteries last? What will the replacement cost be? Will the old one have a resale value? Or will the car just be scrapped when the battery wears out?

At 4 miles per KWh of battery capacity, if you are paying 58p per KWh (typical rate round here) that works out at 14.5p per mile.

With petrol at 132.7p per litre (the lowest price within 5 miles of where I am at present) that's £6.02 per gallon, so to pay 14.5p per mile you'd have to get 602/14.5 = 41.5mpg. Many cars can easily better that.

To make your EV do the equivalent of 65mpg you'd have to be paying the domestic rate of 34p per KWh. That's reasonable if you are charging at home, but this thread is about charging at public EV chargers, isn't it?

Of course the other factor is battery replacement. Per mile, I guess this could be as expensive as the electricity. I don't know though.

How long will batteries last? What will the replacement cost be? Will the old one have a resale value? Or will the car just be scrapped when the battery wears out?
You have cheaper servicing costs as I understand it (no oil changes and filters for example) but servicing is a small cost in terms of running a car.
I would not mind running an electric car at all and for the driving I personally do, it would actually be perfect. But not so perfect is the upfront cost to get into that Electric Car.
That initial cost is just way too high to justify for the mileage I do which ironically makes an electric car so ideal. The energy cost per mile saving (using the 41.5mpg vs 65mpg equivalent) means going electric I would save around £200 per year. It would take me more than the rest of my motoring life to save sufficient in fuel to cover the cost of buying an electric car over the replacement cost of the petrol one I have now

I don't know that EV servicing costs are all that much lower. They still need a service every year, and garages that do EV servicing are fewer and more expensive.

If you do a lot of miles each year, an EV is a pain because of recharging. If you don't do a lot of miles, an EV is uneconomic. They probably work best for regular commuters who do smallish, predictable journies and can charge at home or (better) at work.

And there is also the insurance. My next door neighbour had a Tesla from work, but changed jobs and now has a Kia EV. She tells me that the insurance is "only" £800 per year, which is much cheaper than the Tesla insurance was. Ouch!

For someone like wildebus (or me) not only would switching to an EV be financially foolish, it would also be far from green. The embedded carbon in making and disposing of vehicles means it is best to use them until they are worn out.

For someone like wildebus (or me) not only would switching to an EV be financially foolish, it would also be far from green. The embedded carbon in making and disposing of vehicles means it is best to use them until they are worn out.
Indeed so. I think my car has plenty of life left in it (more than me probably!) so absolutely no reason to change it to supposedly 'be green'.
In the last 5 years, the car has cost me under £1,000 in Servicing, Unscheduled Repairs, MOTs and Road Tax. Can't really grumble too much about that.

Car due for the MOT in two days time. Getting it serviced at the same time. I am expecting total cost to be around £350, but that includes around £150 for an Air-Con recharge.

I don’t know anyone who changes a vehicle to be green, it’s to have something different usually. Not sure a green vehicle exists anyway unless we go on colour

I don’t know anyone who changes a vehicle to be green, it’s to have something different usually. Not sure a green vehicle exists anyway unless we go on colour
My First Camper conversion was very green actually.

VW Freisan Green.

Car due for the MOT in two days time. Getting it serviced at the same time. I am expecting total cost to be around £350, but that includes around £150 for an Air-Con recharge.

total cost ended up being £450 :( But that included a front spring that had broken, so not too bad really. (It broke last summer but just at the top and after taking out the broken piece (half a turn) the car didn't act any differently so decided not to fix as with the state of the roads could break again anytime anyway! Guess the MOT test was pretty though).

The BYD EV is £26k so not that different to a new ICE car, apparently is a nice car with 7 year warranty.

The BYD EV is £26k so not that different to a new ICE car, apparently is a nice car with 7 year warranty.
So far, every Chinese car I've seen has been a skanky death trap. It'd be great if these broke the trend, but...

Hmm. I watched the video. That ruled out any possibility of me buying one. I detest SUVs.

A car or an estate, yes, but to me, an SUV has all the drawbacks and none of the advantages.

I much prefer Estate cars, had quite a few, Liz hates them but likes SUVs, I hope we get an SUV next simply because it will be much easier for each of us to get in and out, I'm sure this bloody fiesta has been lowered.

We bought a yeti for that reason Kev much easy ti get into and out .
We bought a VW Tiguan in 2018 which is a noce towcar, and has decent height for access to the passenger seats. The compromise comes with the bike bars on the roof, mounting and dismounting is precarious and hard work. And passing under3m height barriers is real squeaky bum time :rolleyes:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back