Charging Leisure Batteries via EV points.

there is always a queue at Cambridge services & no room for a m/h space to small in most place's

Screenshot 2024-02-24 074528.png

Bruce's cable is not the same as an EV charging cable. The cable has components in it to communicate with the EV charger and set the correct parameters. The cable also has a lock on it that is used to stop the charging and release the cable from the charger. These features are normally handled by the computer in the EV. The cable is also 10M long. Bruce's cable is handmade and tested in the UK by Bruce.
While this is not a product for me, something to point out is the length as that's crucial. AFAICT, most EV charging bays are marked "EV only", so you can't (morally, if nothing else) park in the actual bay. I've seen a YT video where the user parked in the nearest "standard" parking bay and was able to access a charge point because of the cable length. The content creator also made sure his light was on and the blind raised so that any EV driver who wanted to use the charge point wouldn't feel reluctant to knock on the door...

If you compare it to buying a generator to charge your battery’s it’s not so bad. Of course, you need to be somewhere with EV charge points but don’t think that’s a problem for most
Biyimg a generator to charge your batteries would be daft. The same miney spent on a B2B charger woyld be far more useful, used wvery time the engine is running.

Biyimg a generator to charge your batteries would be daft. The same miney spent on a B2B charger woyld be far more useful, used wvery time the engine is running.
Maybe the way you use your van that works but I would have to drive 3 hours every day to keep my battery’s topped up. That would be crazy compared to running a generator

Maybe the way you use your van that works but I would have to drive 3 hours every day to keep my battery’s topped up. That would be crazy compared to running a generator
I am not aiming this response at Geek’s post but there does seem to be a lot of people telling other people why their way is wrong. This happens a lot on Facebook.

We all have different needs, wants and joy. If someone asks for my advice or opinion then I give it, but I never assume that the way I like to do things is the right or best way for others.

you could always put your hand in your pocket:cry: & go on a site in dull days :unsure:lots of freeloaders do this:mad:

Can you tell me which ev charger providers state they can be used for anything except charging an electric vehicle please, the providers I have checked say ev only?
Good question but I wonder if any providers state that their charging points May NOT be used for charging motorhomes, I mean if your motorhome was an electric one as some commercial vans are now surely you would be allowed to use the charger, so if you are barging the propulsion battery I see little difference n charging the leisure battery, they are both batteries attached to the vehicle.

Good question but I wonder if any providers state that their charging points May NOT be used for charging motorhomes, I mean if your motorhome was an electric one as some commercial vans are now surely you would be allowed to use the charger, so if you are barging the propulsion battery I see little difference n charging the leisure battery, they are both batteries attached to the vehicle.
Possibly the issue with motorhomes charging from eV charge points is working/suitable charge points can be in short supply in some places ...
So a EV owner looking to charge is probably not going to be delighted at turning up and finding a motorhome plugged in ...

Probably not helping folks general perception of motorhomes in general ...

Personally I can't see a situation arising where I'd need to plug into an EV point ...
Solar/b2b/battery bank along with the odd site stop for waste/water/electric .

Maybe more suited to the Toilet casette in a shopping bag/park anywhere as long as its free folks ?

There are no companies that prohibit motorhomes charging at EV points, but they do not state that they allow it either.

Possibly the issue with motorhomes charging from eV charge points is working/suitable charge points can be in short supply in some places ...
So a EV owner looking to charge is probably not going to be delighted at turning up and finding a motorhome plugged in ...

Probably not helping folks general perception of motorhomes in general ...

Personally I can't see a situation arising where I'd need to plug into an EV point ...
Solar/b2b/battery bank along with the odd site stop for waste/water/electric .

Maybe more suited to the Toilet casette in a shopping bag/park anywhere as long as its free folks ?
As I stated in a previous post the 7Kw chargers that Motorhomes would use are not the ones that EV owners prefer as they are very slow.

It costs money to buy the cable and you have to pay for the electric you use. “Toilet casette in a shopping bag/park anywhere as long as its free folks ?” suggests that using an EV point is bad (free loader?) behaviour, I disagree.

As I stated in a previous post the 7Kw chargers that Motorhomes would use are not the ones that EV owners prefer as they are very slow.

It costs money to buy the cable and you have to pay for the electric you use. “Toilet casette in a shopping bag/park anywhere as long as its free folks ?” suggests that using an EV point is bad (free loader?) behaviour, I disagree.
I still think it doesn't look good ....
Not that that will matter to a lot of folks .

I still think it doesn't look good ....
Not that that will matter to a lot of folks .

So maybe it's for us to show that we can do things in a socially acceptable way, and that we're not all the dirty pigs that give people cause to complain?

I see nothing wrong with parking next to an EV point and offering to disconnect if an EV owner wants to use it. I wouldn't connect up and walk away.

So maybe it's for us to show that we can do things in a socially acceptable way, and that we're not all the dirty pigs that give people cause to complain?

I see nothing wrong with parking next to an EV point and offering to disconnect if an EV owner wants to use it. I wouldn't connect up and walk away.
I admire your optimism
Good luck ,

Personally I can't see a situation where I would need to do it ...

Last edited:
When I very first heard about this I thought it must be against terms of the chargers. Didn’t take much looking to find out it isn’t against any terms on the chargers or their web sites, (or certainly wasn’t when I looked). The charger providers are just selling electricity, I am sure they are happy to sell to non EV users when they would otherwise not be in use.

As I do things now they aren’t much use to me, certainly not enough to add another cable to what I already carry. I only really go into towns to shop and when the shops are open the points could be in use. I haven’t come across any chargers on byways and such so far but who knows in the future.

I don’t see a problem with people using them if they are sensible. It’s if people start disputes with EV owners if they are waiting to charge their cars I can see problems arising. People I have seen using the cables always say they would unplug so should be good

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back