Cheaper LPG!

when i was 17 in my ford consul ( first car cost £40 ) i could buy 4 gallons for a £1 mind you my wages was £7 a week " happy days " not my car but same model .cheyenne
My brother had the Zephyr/Zodiac? version, I'd love to get a nice one of those.

Earliest I can recall petrol price was about 72/72 £0.27 per gallion, and 1970/71 beer £0.10p per pint.

Earliest I can recall petrol price was about 72/72 £0.27 per gallion, and 1970/71 beer £0.10p per pint.
boy in those days did i give that back seat some stick but the girls would complain about those vinyl seats being cold on their bottoms :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. plus with a column change gear stick those bench seats you didnt need to get in the back which was handy for your mate in the back courting with his girl .cheyenne

<snip> we need to use the motorways to get to the villages where " camping car park " sites are situated . <snip>
That could explain things. I manage to get to lots of villages without using motorways and have never seen the need to use an overpriced CampingCarPark aire charging for services such as EHU and Wi-Fi that I have no intention of using.

boy in those days did i give that back seat some stick but the girls would complain about those vinyl seats being cold on their bottoms :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. plus with a column change gear stick those bench seats you didnt need to get in the back which was handy for your mate in the back courting with his girl .cheyenne
How old ARE you?

when i was 17 in my ford consul ( first car cost £40 ) i could buy 4 gallons for a £1 mind you my wages was £7 a week " happy days " not my car but same model .cheyenne
Wow, my first car, which my dad bought for me. 1725cc three speed box and column gear shift, yes, those bench seats were handy 😛

Super unleaded is a waste of time except in a high performance engine.

Bring back 5* I say and stuff the planet.
The higher ethanol content in E10 petrol makes it unsuitable for older vehicles since it can rot many pipes and seals. Super unleaded is classed as E5 and useable in many of these vehicles.

Yes .... cant use E10 in my 1986 2CV "Doris" but E5 is OK. Found this out in the Alps in France .... Put E10 in & she simply wouldn't run properly ..... 40mph max and no guts. Took a full bottle of Octane enhancer plus a few tank-fulls of leaded petrol to get her back to normal.
Jeremy

Reactions: 2cv
The higher ethanol content in E10 petrol makes it unsuitable for older vehicles since it can rot many pipes and seals. Super unleaded is classed as E5 and useable in many of these vehicles.
Can't put E10 in mine either, and for exactly the same reason. Most guys in our club use V-Power.

That could explain things. I manage to get to lots of villages without using motorways and have never seen the need to use an overpriced CampingCarPark aire charging for services such as EHU and Wi-Fi that I have no intention of using
back in 2004 we would us the N10 route down to Spain in the winter & would take for ever to get there all the overnight stops would have their
water cut off because of frost & no electric plus using up lots of gas for the heater . but the overpriced c/c/park as you said about £10 a night with all service's
you try & get a site anywhere in the uk . cheyenne

Earliest price I can recall was 3 star equivalent at 6s 8d per gallon, and 5 star [Premium?] at about 7s 10d, although I have a hazy feeling that there was a Budget increase that took the latter to 8s3d per gallon ... I do remember being able to fill my Viva Van with 6 gallons of 3 star in 1972 and still get a few pence change from £2.50 [plus loadsa Green Shield Stamps and endless packs of 4 small drinking glasses ...] :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Earliest price I can recall was 3 star equivalent at 6s 8d per gallon, and 5 star [Premium?] at about 7s 10d, although I have a hazy feeling that there was a Budget increase that took the latter to 8s3d per gallon ... I do remember being able to fill my Viva Van with 6 gallons of 3 star in 1972 and still get a few pence change from £2.50 [plus loadsa Green Shield Stamps and endless packs of 4 small drinking glasses ...] :ROFLMAO:

Steve
I was driving a bit before this, but my earliest recollection of petrol prices was when it hit £2.00 a gallon and the company management refused to increase the mileage rate to cover the increase (Austin Ambassadors were never the most economical of cars).
They did give an option .... return the company car and they would pay for extra footwear!

Buying petrol in £SD was way before my era :oops::oops:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back