Cheaper LPG!

I think "we" don't understand monopoly. One of us has economics qualifications.
Maybe an English qualification would have been better in this situation.

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
"the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting"

OK, I'll explain.

An absolute monopoly requires a single supplier. A monopoly only requires 25% market share. Calor clearly has that in many, if not all areas.

But it's not as simple as that. If you have Calor bottles or a Calor bulk tank, you can't easily change supplier.

The competition commission did look into this a few years back, and I sort of recall their conclusions, but I can't find the report online. In any case, Calor has bought more of its competitors since then.

If anyone thinks a 25% market share is a genuine monopoly, they need to send back their economics qualification :)

25% market share is certainly significant, but calling it a monopoly is daft. It is like saying when you look at a bunch of motorhomes in a dealership, based on Ducatos, Transits, Renaults and Sprinters, you say that Fiat have a "Monopoly" because as least 1 in 4 will be on a Ducato :D

OK, I'll explain.

An absolute monopoly requires a single supplier. A monopoly only requires 25% market share. Calor clearly has that in many, if not all areas.

But it's not as simple as that. If you have Calor bottles or a Calor bulk tank, you can't easily change supplier.

The competition commission did look into this a few years back, and I sort of recall their conclusions, but I can't find the report online. In any case, Calor has bought more of its competitors since then.
Well if you're going to be pedantic then you need to start with the correct term if you also need to qualify it and you just said monopoly, not ABSOLUTE MONOPOLY, which is very different.

From Collins dictionary

A market the situation in which there is only one supplier of a good or service for which there is no acceptable substitute.
IE.
In many districts the company has eliminated competition and has an absolute monopoly.

Calor has at least 3 other competitors BOC. UKGas, and Flogas, so on but you have the 25% mentioned, but there may be others I've not really wasted any time looking these are just the ones I know of.

It seems that it means different things to different disciplines which probably creates the confusion we are seeing?

And some more light reading for you............. I particularly like the section on "The Inverse Elasticity Rule" Tee Hee!

It's almost amusing to read the attempts at point scoring by people who are out of their depth on the subject.

No, I did not say absolute monopoly. I said monopoly, and I was correct.

But that's hardly the point, is it?

If you have Calor bottles, switching to another supplier means getting different bottles, which may not even fit the locker. It may require a new fitting on the HP hose. It could mean switching to a brand that has no stockists in various areas. Simply not a viable option.

It's almost amusing to read the attempts at point scoring by people who are out of their depth on the subject.

No, I did not say absolute monopoly. I said monopoly, and I was correct.

But that's hardly the point, is it?

If you have Calor bottles, switching to another supplier means getting different bottles, which may not even fit the locker. It may require a new fitting on the HP hose. It could mean switching to a brand that has no stockists in various areas. Simply not a viable option.
I wanted to get a 6Kg calor bottle about three years ago. None in stock. So I went to a different LPG supplier in the same town and bought a Flogas cylinder of the same 6Kg size and the same connection and used that. (oh, and it was a) cheaper and b) no deposit charge on the bottle)

Monopoly Schmopoly. Stick that up your pipe and smoke it (but remember to turn the monopolistic gas off first ;) )

Take the key out, we're only messing, it's a cold wet day and not much to do, and we're all target on here.

I'd say that lpg is slightly less available in France, but with a good size tank, that's not a problem.

The price of lpg varies wildly everywhere, but in France it's much the same as the UK.

However, swappable bottled gas is less of a ripoff in Europe.

Calor have built themselves a monopoly in the UK so the prices reflect that.
GPL widely available on most french & European m/ways as for bottled gas in Spain when parked up for the winter my exchange repsol bottle is 16 euros in France its like here my french gold ( propane ) is about 40 euros ( see photo ) .cheyenne

DSC01935.JPGDSC01717.JPG

GPL widely available on most french & European m/ways as for bottled gas in Spain when parked up for the winter my exchange repsol bottle is 16 euros in France its like here my french gold ( propane ) is about 40 euros ( see photo ) .cheyenne
Ah, that would explain it. I keep off motorways, especially in France.

Ah, that would explain it. I keep off motorways, especially in France.
on a 15,000 mile trip to Spain in winter you dont want to be hanging around France as it can be colder than here as we pulled off the N10 at nersac & got stuck for 5 days plus you want to get to the sun fast . the places we go to are that remote as we love staying in the small villages you need the m/way to get there like leaving Grenoble to briancon on the D1091 ( a superb drive ) plus the distances involved as France is twice the size of the uk . cheyenne

SDC11811.JPG

I'd not turn the engine off while waiting the amount of fuel you save would be minimal, unless you're unfortunate to get behind some thicko Doris who wants to do a weeks shopping and then get ten Costas instead of getting off the pump and into the parking bays.

Grr, now ya got me started, how about the A holes who fill up at the back pump behind another car but don't move forward to allow you to move forward, and the others who drive past while you're filling then you have to wait for them to fill up so you can go, and the biddy/girl who has to check her mush ad farts about looking for the seat belt point, I could go on.
Sorry but I could be one of them ""A holes who fill up at the back pump" as our local Fuel Station has only Super Unleaded Fuel for our cars on that Pump 🤔 and I ain't putting that New Unleaded Fuel in our motors .

Sorry but I could be one of them ""A holes who fill up at the back pump" as our local Fuel Station has only Super Unleaded Fuel for our cars on that Pump 🤔 and I ain't putting that New Unleaded Fuel in our motors .
Super unleaded is a waste of time except in a high performance engine.

Bring back 5* I say and stuff the planet.

Super unleaded is a waste of time except in a high performance engine.

Bring back 5* I say and stuff the planet.
when i was 17 in my ford consul ( first car cost £40 ) i could buy 4 gallons for a £1 mind you my wages was £7 a week " happy days " not my car but same model .cheyenne

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back