Dometic 3 way problem on gas

If It,s that Pudsey it,s an integral part of the burner which has been replaced.
Cheers, Jim.

Just for clarity, the thermocouple has a gas type joint at one end & a ceramic covered probe at the other which goes into the flame and the other into the gas valve.

The thermocouple, which operates as a safety device, turns the gas supply off when the pilot light goes out. It consists of a heat sensor connected to a solenoid; when the sensor is not heated by the pilot flame, the solenoid closes the gas supply line.

So await diagnosis at a camper dealer.
Hope for a not too expensive repair...Otherwise.
1 Dispense with the oven and.
2 Go for. a new fridge.
Not necessarily from them.
It is a good fit and with no oven above will give good extra locker space.
The width and depth are almost perfect and extra room above
On a reasonably bright day I expect no drain on the leisure batteries for May June July Augusr. With 120 watts of solar and 2x 100amphour batteries (not lithium)
We run mostly every 2 nd day so alternator will ensure further top ups.
We will save a not insignificant amount on Lpg...so more solar is an option.
Any comment re the fridge or Thetford items appreciated.
The Dometic replacement is hugely expensive and the compress fridge not cheap and not as good imo.

Hi all, I know these fridges seem to to cause people endless problems when they have had a few years use but ours is a bit odd. It works fine on hook up and 12v but not on gas. It will light up no problem but eventually shuts down. However this can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or so. The shut down seems to be most common during the night. It will reignite if switched off and back on. I have done all the usual stuff several times, cleaning the flue, cleaning the burner and jet. I have now replaced the burner and jet completely. I have cleaned and checked the twin solenoid gas valve and tried easing back the valve actuating arms to compensate for wear over time when contacting the stops. The only thing I have not checked is the electric control box as I can,t find any of the correct readings to check against with the meter.
Does anyone have the correct values for the electrics or hopefully has anyone had an identical problem that has been resolved. If so how was it sorted? Please don,t take offence at this but I am long past the stage of try this, try that or it might be. I am just looking for help from those who have resolved the exact same fault or someone who can give the correct reading for the electrics. Cheers, Jim.
I’m having a similar problem with my Thetford fridge freezer, the company I use have replaced just about everything including the circuit board and it’s failed again. Would be really interested if you find the solution…

Pudsey, I know exactly what the thermocouple is and how it works but on the Dometic 8500 series and most others it is wired to the gas control module and then to the double gas valve. There is no capillary involved hence the confusion . The thermocouple is an integral part of the burner assembly and as I said I have fitted a complete new unit and jet.
Cheers, Jim.

Pudsey, I know exactly what the thermocouple is and how it works but on the Dometic 8500 series and most others it is wired to the gas control module and then to the double gas valve. There is no capillary involved hence the confusion . The thermocouple is an integral part of the burner assembly and as I said I have fitted a complete new unit and jet.
Cheers, Jim.
My apologies I wasn't inferring that you didn't Jim, I'm aware that sometimes people search Google for info and are led to threads like this and I post for the benefit of those as well as those on the thread

That is not bad IMO
A new 3 way fridge £2500 plus fitting snd not a perfect swap.
Despite the current liking for 12v compression fridges they do have battery implications.
A gas fridge uses msybe £1 of Lpg per day so 1 month of lpg available before refilling wjen no space heating required ?
My fridge is quite large with a separate freezer compartment. It uses about 290 to 300 grammes of gas per day.
LPG is currently about 83p per litre, which is around £1.66 per kg. So 300 grammes would cost less than 50p. If you don't have refillables, £1 would be optimistic.

My 110ltr Weaco fridge is less than a grand .I've ran it for nearly ten years now and never had a problem with power and when I first started off I only had a 140watt solar and 2 x 125amp lead acid batteries ok it's improved a bit now with 590watts of solar and 4 x 100amps of lithium batteries.i never turn it off even when it's parked on the drive as its free electricity from now on .
Ps we also run a 900watt electric kettle and a 700watt toaster .
A £2500 three way fridge would have been cheaper, then.

Puff, I don,t know if your model has a multimode switch like the Dometic but I am going to try a known dodge of flooding the switch with contact cleaner and then spending several minutes flicking between modes. I, ll then fire up the gas and leave it on for 2 or 3 days to try it. I,ll let you know what happens.

Just for clarity, the thermocouple has a gas type joint at one end & a ceramic covered probe at the other which goes into the flame and the other into the gas valve.
The thermocouple is entirely electric. Yes, there is a probe at one end (I've never seen a ceramic coated one) and the wire is inside a metal pipe, but the "gas type fitting" is a screw-in electrical plug.
The significance of this is that you can safely replace the thermocouple without worrying about a gas-tight seal at the gas solenoid end.

The thermocouple needs to be well in the flame of the pilot light. That can often be the problem with gas that goes out from time to time. Either the pilot flame is not the right shape, or the thermocouple has moved. (Or it's a failed thermocouple) They are cheap and easy to change. Worth having a spare. I think.
The thing with a ceramic sleeve is the ignition probe. That is also electrical, but it serves two different functions.

Puff, I don,t know if your model has a multimode switch like the Dometic but I am going to try a known dodge of flooding the switch with contact cleaner and then spending several minutes flicking between modes. I, ll then fire up the gas and leave it on for 2 or 3 days to try it. I,ll let you know what happens.
My MCEA person used WD40 to spray the inside of my old none AES fridge a good old waggle and it's been fine since, I have in the past when I was fitter taken the selector switch out and cleaned the contacts, they're similar to a set of car points.

I have a picture somewhere.

found them
selector%20switch.JPG

the wiring may be different for different models, this is a RM6401

RM%206401%20Electrolux%20fridge%20wiring%20diagram%20%2Bphoto%20of%20selector%20switch.jpg

Image002.jpg

Last edited:
2 Go for. a new fridge.
On a reasonably bright day I expect no drain on the leisure batteries for May June July Augusr. With 120 watts of solar and 2x 100amphour batteries (not lithium)
The Dometic replacement is hugely expensive and the compress fridge not cheap and not as good imo.
Nice looking fridge freezer Phil .

Okay until the PCB pack in.

Can you still buy new vans with a none AES fridge?

Update.
After 18 hours on Ehu...The fridge was cool and Freezer at -15
tried gas...perfect I could hear the gas valve open and the burner working. Today driving 12v still a bit hit and miss but gas 100% and ehu . We are now on ehu at our overnight aire
That is the status TODAY !!!!
I will look to get a full fridge service and some replacements when back in Uk
The gasman will have 6 months to get it sorted from mid september

Last edited:
Update.
After 18 hours on Ehu...The fridge was cool and Freezer at -15
tried gas...perfect I could hear the gas valve open and the burner working. Today driving 12v still a bit hit and miss but gas 100% and ehu . We are now on ehu at our overnight aire
That is the status TODAY !!!!
I will look to get a full fridge service and some replacements when back in Uk
The gasman will have 6 months to get it sorted from mid september
Strangely the fridge is working 100% or should ot be 300%
Or even 900% (3 days with Gas 12v and 230v all 100% ) Creative accountancy ?
Freezer at -17 fridge at +5
Perhaps a loose connection on the controller

Looks like a result

Kev.

2 Go for. a new fridge.

Not really relevant nowe I guess, but that Thetford T2016 12V Compressor fridge would have been a good option I think
I was quite close to getting that model to replace my Thetford N180 3-way fridge but in the end I chose to go for a 240V Compressor Fridge/Freezer of a very similar size at 1/4 of the price (as I had an inverter already in place that could run it so no additional costs for that)

Thats right, it skipped my mind for a moment - the thermocouple acts through a capilary tube!!
No it doesn't. It is entirely electric.
You are maybe confusing it with a thermostat probe. Some of them use a capilliary tube.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back