Dometic 3 way problem on gas

tompa

Hi all, I know these fridges seem to to cause people endless problems when they have had a few years use but ours is a bit odd. It works fine on hook up and 12v but not on gas. It will light up no problem but eventually shuts down. However this can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or so. The shut down seems to be most common during the night. It will reignite if switched off and back on. I have done all the usual stuff several times, cleaning the flue, cleaning the burner and jet. I have now replaced the burner and jet completely. I have cleaned and checked the twin solenoid gas valve and tried easing back the valve actuating arms to compensate for wear over time when contacting the stops. The only thing I have not checked is the electric control box as I can,t find any of the correct readings to check against with the meter.
Does anyone have the correct values for the electrics or hopefully has anyone had an identical problem that has been resolved. If so how was it sorted? Please don,t take offence at this but I am long past the stage of try this, try that or it might be. I am just looking for help from those who have resolved the exact same fault or someone who can give the correct reading for the electrics. Cheers, Jim.

No office taken Jim I've got the garden gate
you must be pretty ticked off wi yer fridge by now mate ,might be better to put make/ model etc and hope someone has HAD the same issues sorry I cannae help but all the best bud

We have a similar problem.
Burner and fridge gas control valve replaced 4 years ago.
We use gas all the time whilst stood.
Occasionally the gas light would flicker and a quick on/off always resolved it !
However last night and today it has been more of a problem.
Today the light which shows gas is.working has flickered more often for a very short time before then remaining steady.

Fridge is a. Dometic RMT 7851L
Update flickers then works ?

20220613_093102.jpgIMG_20220807_113100_758.jpgIMG_20220807_113020_334.jpg

Last edited:
Magymay and Jagmanx, thanks for your responses. Thinking back I can,t remember testing any of the wiring for continuity but I cleaned and reset the terminals. I,ll try a continuity test on all the wiring next and give it a good wiggle in case its an internally damaged wire. I,ve also heard that the multi mode/on off switch can cause problems. I,m going to soak it in good contact cleaner while switching it before removing it as I think removal means pulling the fridge out on my model. Jagmanx, your fridge is completely different to mine but thanks for the input.

Dometic 2way replacement about £2000
£2500 for replacemnt 3 way
Other 12v only maybe £1200...Webasto and Thetford.
There is. A marine fridge at that sort of price which may well be good.?
The oven will go and be replaced by a locker no problem
We have 2 x 100ah L batteries and solar so not worried about that !

Fridge just not cooling on gas and no ehu.
Will get ehu tomorrow and also go to a repairer ((Tuesday)
Look out JaJa
Have to check out
1 will we be ok in the summer woth s 12v fridge.
If not ehu at say £5 a night plus more for using posh sites x 150 nights = £750plus.
Does thiiis make paying forc a 3way a good plan.
Yes it does UNLESS with our 2x batteries and solar and driving we can be comfortable with ac12v option...This is my current (ha ha) plan....answers on a postcard please !

?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrp
Ps I would quite happily get a gas and 12v fridge but they do not exist !
As you may have realised we never, well rarely, and not this year use EHU.

Last edited:
Jeff there is only something to be said for compressor fridges if you,ve got a van with enough directional solar to power a small village like yours.lol

I will be able to test the fridge on 12v later today with a 1.5 to 2hr drive !
Then plan EHU after that.
Cooked the quorn sausages to have cold.
Tonight chilli con QUORNIE using french (white haricot) beans and defrosted quorn mince !

Oh the high life ! They were our emergency standbys. Oh la la. Oh eh oh eh ! and of course "Tante pis tante mieux"
La plume de ma tante aussi !
Quelle domage....well expecting encore de damage de poche very soon !

A friend of mine had a similar problem. His fridge would light on gas and then shut down soon after. The final solution was to change the electronic control board (£150). Expensive but it worked.

A friend of mine had a similar problem. His fridge would light on gas and then shut down soon after. The final solution was to change the electronic control board (£150). Expensive but it worked.
That is not bad IMO
A new 3 way fridge £2500 plus fitting snd not a perfect swap.
Despite the current liking for 12v compression fridges they do have battery implications.
A gas fridge uses msybe £1 of Lpg per day so 1 month of lpg available before refilling wjen no space heating required ?

Yes a 12v compressor fridge would refuce lpg usage enormously..

Any (almost) ong lasting repair is better than a new fridge as it epuld also compromise the vehocle interior !!!

Hi all, I know these fridges seem to to cause people endless problems when they have had a few years use but ours is a bit odd. It works fine on hook up and 12v but not on gas. It will light up no problem but eventually shuts down. However this can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or so. The shut down seems to be most common during the night. It will reignite if switched off and back on. I have done all the usual stuff several times, cleaning the flue, cleaning the burner and jet. I have now replaced the burner and jet completely. I have cleaned and checked the twin solenoid gas valve and tried easing back the valve actuating arms to compensate for wear over time when contacting the stops. The only thing I have not checked is the electric control box as I can,t find any of the correct readings to check against with the meter.
Does anyone have the correct values for the electrics or hopefully has anyone had an identical problem that has been resolved. If so how was it sorted? Please don,t take offence at this but I am long past the stage of try this, try that or it might be. I am just looking for help from those who have resolved the exact same fault or someone who can give the correct reading for the electrics. Cheers, Jim.
I would suggest that the capillary that monitors the flame and shirts off the gas of it goes out is wearing it and needs replacing, a simple job and not expensive.

Dometic 2way replacement about £2000
£2500 for replacemnt 3 way
Other 12v only maybe £1200...Webasto and Thetford.
There is. A marine fridge at that sort of price which may well be good.?
The oven will go and be replaced by a locker no problem
We have 2 x 100ah L batteries and solar so not worried about that !

Fridge just not cooling on gas and no ehu.
Will get ehu tomorrow and also go to a repairer ((Tuesday)
Look out JaJa
Have to check out
1 will we be ok in the summer woth s 12v fridge.
If not ehu at say £5 a night plus more for using posh sites x 150 nights = £750plus.
Does thiiis make paying forc a 3way a good plan.
Yes it does UNLESS with our 2x batteries and solar and driving we can be comfortable with ac12v option...This is my current (ha ha) plan....answers on a postcard please !

?
My 110ltr Weaco fridge is less than a grand .I've ran it for nearly ten years now and never had a problem with power and when I first started off I only had a 140watt solar and 2 x 125amp lead acid batteries ok it's improved a bit now with 590watts of solar and 4 x 100amps of lithium batteries.i never turn it off even when it's parked on the drive as its free electricity from now on .
Ps we also run a 900watt electric kettle and a 700watt toaster .

Last edited:
I had this issue a few years ago and it came down to the 12v earth at the back of the fridge, I put a new spade on it and the problem went, worth a look.

Hi Torwood, can you explain what you mean by capillary. A capillary is a tube of small or reduced diameter and there isn,t one in my fridge.
Jim.

Hi Torwood, can you explain what you mean by capillary. A capillary is a tube of small or reduced diameter and there isn,t one in my fridge.
Jim.
I assume he means the thermocouple tube.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back