Done to death SATNAG question.

Wee update, Garmin was updated before our departure, all good with Garmin, which now has all French Aires uploaded to it. iPads and iPhones are there as backup devices, which are also used too.
Satnags, so many brands out there, difficult to decide what would work best for our requirements. Pleased what we currently have and use works well for us…….to date.

Wee update, Garmin was updated before our departure, all good with Garmin, which now has all French Aires uploaded to it. iPads and iPhones are there as backup devices, which are also used too.
Satnags, so many brands out there, difficult to decide what would work best for our requirements. Pleased what we currently have and use works well for us…….to date.
Terry, we have 2 Garmin 780 satnavs [2nd is CAMH Avtex version supplied by M/Home Dealer when they couldn't fix the corrupted Pioneer SD Card and weren't prepared to pay £450 for a replacement SD Card]. We bought the maximum capacity SD Card for the 780 and loaded the POI/Sites etc onto that, refusing the repeated nags to transfer them to the device [it would limit spare capacity for map upgrades etc too much], so that we could just pop the SD Card into the spare Garmin if [i.e. when] I break the original version!

Steve

Has anyone considered just buying a used Samsung S9 or newer and using it solely as a sat nav? it could be fitted into a holder perhaps and kept permanently plugged in leaving your phone for normal use.

Terry, we have 2 Garmin 780 satnavs [2nd is CAMH Avtex version supplied by M/Home Dealer when they couldn't fix the corrupted Pioneer SD Card and weren't prepared to pay £450 for a replacement SD Card]. We bought the maximum capacity SD Card for the 780 and loaded the POI/Sites etc onto that, refusing the repeated nags to transfer them to the device [it would limit spare capacity for map upgrades etc too much], so that we could just pop the SD Card into the spare Garmin if [i.e. when] I break the original version!

Steve
Hi Steve, I too, upgraded SDC to max available, as you will know, cards fill up quickly with updates.

Must be a bit dumb if they don't overwrite the last but one files.

Although if they're like all other software they seem to bloat, look at Win 3 (3x 3.5 floppies) then Win 10 CD/DVD.

You are completely and utterly wrong. No mobile phone uses mast triangulation instead of GPS.

I prefer to use an android tablet running an app rather than a phone or a dedicated satnav, but that's mostly to do with other factors. They all get GPS signal.

Phones and tablets can get the ephemeris data off the web and can use the other GPS constellations which dedicated satnavs can't do.
Well that told me :ROFLMAO:
Nevertheless, it’s still true that the systems aren’t the same. GPS is direct communication with the satellites. Mobiles use AGPS (Assisted GPS) involving mobile network masts to access the satellite data. GPS is always more accurate. AGPS is usually faster but still relies on having an internet connection. In practice, both are fab these days but personally, I don’t think I could ever be comfortable not having separate dedicated devices for the van. Besides, I’m totally in love with my satnav Aussie man voice :ROFLMAO:

Nevertheless, it’s still true that the systems aren’t the same. GPS is direct communication with the satellites. Mobiles use AGPS (Assisted GPS) involving mobile network masts to access the satellite data. GPS is always more accurate. AGPS is usually faster but still relies on having an internet connection. In practice, both are fab these days but personally, I don’t think I could ever be comfortable not having separate dedicated devices for the van. Besides, I’m totally in love with my satnav Aussie man voice :ROFLMAO:
I think you need to do a bit of research as whilst they can and do use the cell masts, as I have shown at least once in this thread they use the GPS satellites mainly unless they can't see the sky which unless you are in a city with high rise buildings or in a forest is pretty much all of the time.

Phones also latch on to the system much faster as they are for most people always turned on so they don't have to figure out where they are, unless of course you have location and/or mobile data turned off, which is pretty pointless as they don't use very much at all and data prices are really cheap these days.

I'm not knocking stand alone devices, just a lot of money for a one trick pony.

There is no way that my tablet, which does not have any SIM capability, can communicate with mobile network masts; it uses the GPS signal direct from satellites, as does my phone.

I think you need to do a bit of research as whilst they can and do use the cell masts, as I have shown at least once in this thread they use the GPS satellites mainly unless they can't see the sky which unless you are in a city with high rise buildings or in a forest is pretty much all of the time.

Phones also latch on to the system much faster as they are for most people always turned on so they don't have to figure out where they are, unless of course you have location and/or mobile data turned off, which is pretty pointless as they don't use very much at all and data prices are really cheap these days.

I'm not knocking stand alone devices, just a lot of money for a one trick pony.
I have done the research, which is why I know for a fact that GPS and AGPS are not exactly the same thing. I’m not claiming that one works better than the other, as they achieve virtually the same thing in slightly different ways - GPS is more accurate, to within one metre, AGPS is faster. Take your pick. I’m just stating my personal preference for one system over the other 🤷‍♂️

Nevertheless, it’s still true that the systems aren’t the same....

Mobiles use AGPS (Assisted GPS) involving mobile network masts to access the satellite data. GPS is always more accurate. AGPS is usually faster but still relies on having an internet connection.

Still way off the mark. GPS uses receive only data from the satellites. Basically each satellite sends out its ID and the time.

The receiver then uses a database of satellite location schedules to work out where it must be using the distance from at least three satellites.

The database of satellite locations is transmitted by the satellites at a very slow data rate. It takes about 20 minutes to transmit, but if you missed the beginning, it might take over half an hour to arrive.

Mobile phones and other devices with internet access may be able to download this data from the internet much more quickly.

In addition, working out where you are in three dimensions from three or four distance measurements is vastly easier if you already have a rough idea where you are (especially when you are moving), so using GSM cell positioning to get a location to the nearest 50 miles makes things far easier.

However, at the end of the day AGPS and GPS work exactly the same way, and the A bit just makes the first fix quicker and easier.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back