DVLA and oldie renewing license

You don’t need a medical at the moment due to covid, apply now and you can get a licence for a year.

You don’t need a medical at the moment due to covid, apply now and you can get a licence for a year.
While I couldn't find anything on gov.uk about this, there is lots in the press. Has anyone got a link to an actual DVLA or Government notice that the requirement for a D4 has been suspended? I ask because both Jan and I will need to renew our C1 within the next 12 months or so.

Prior to applying to renew my licence I managed to speak to DVLA and was advised that due to the combination of being 70, first time renewal, the need to retain my entitlements and the fact that there were going to be changes to the requirement for a D4 (no date supplied) that I should get the D4 completed to ensure the application wasn't rejected. What's more, my renewal would be for 3 years and no need for the same hassle next year - however I'm still waiting!

While I couldn't find anything on gov.uk about this, there is lots in the press. Has anyone got a link to an actual DVLA or Government notice that the requirement for a D4 has been suspended? I ask because both Jan and I will need to renew our C1 within the next 12 months or so.
Try this one
it's at the top of the page.

Try this one
it's at the top of the page.
Thanks. D'Oh! the page I found was for those under 45, which mentions you have to submit a D4 if you haven't already within the previous year to drive "other types of vehicles". I completely missed the link to the page you cited. Unfortunately, the application is still on paper rather than online, and so it can go missing all too easily.

Thanks. D'Oh! the page I found was for those under 45, which mentions you have to submit a D4 if you haven't already within the previous year to drive "other types of vehicles". I completely missed the link to the page you cited. Unfortunately, the application is still on paper rather than online, and so it can go missing all too easily.
That's why I'm rather concerned about mine going AWOL after 9 weeks since I posted it. However, I still meet all their criteria regarding driving whilst application with them - that's if they eventually tell me it is with them!

The Covid special arrangement was only until 31 December 2020 and was not extended into 2021. When sending important documents to the DVLA I always use the Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed service. You can track the item‘s movements and get signed proof that they have received it.

The Covid special arrangement was only until 31 December 2020 and was not extended into 2021. When sending important documents to the DVLA I always use the Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed service. You can track the item‘s movements and get signed proof that they have received it.
Yep me too - ordinarilly! However as per earlier post the guy in the Post Office said the DVLA weren't signing for anything and (due to Covid) they had been told not to use the system and all I could get was a proof of posting which is non-trackable.

Yep me too - ordinarilly! However as per earlier post the guy in the Post Office said the DVLA weren't signing for anything and (due to Covid) they had been told not to use the system and all I could get was a proof of posting which is non-trackable.
Sorry, must have missed that. Is refusing post legal?

Sorry, must have missed that. Is refusing post legal?
That was the annoying bit. He said that DVLA weren't refusing to accept the post - they just weren't assigning anybody to sign for it! I don't know what their acceptance procedure is but it's been the same for me when the postie (during lockdown) has delivered items to my door, taken a pic, then gone on his way and the item carried a "sign for" sticker. That's ok with a single item at a household but when they'll be getting pallets of mail at DVLA it's going to be a whole different story! I promise to update this post as soon as I get any news from DVLA - not holding my breath!

My saga continues. So I decided to do an online application. Form comes up I fill in then I'm asked for money. I paused at this point to discover I was not on DVLA but a company with some sort of link. Came out and deleted.
So then found official page. Filled in.
It kept freezing. Timed me out. 2 attempts later it's done but...... message at end I can't apply online! With the air around my head going increasingly blue I then go to a page for online chat. Fill in. End of no answer please try later. The air is now more purple than blue and there's steam coming out of my ears.
So I try again to be told at the end all advisors are busy but will have a contact later!
Deep breaths; go to emails. Email from DVLA saying my license application is under consideration! Gives link to tell me whether I can drive in the interim. Gave up. Got lunch.
Thank you for reading

• Sad
Reactions: Rec
Perhaps the DVLA could not process your online application because you already have an application in the system?

Thanks for tips.
The C1 will have to go I think. Now the grandchildren are teenagers I have no need for a van with a lot of bedding space. Also Covid has brought home how little I manage to get out because of comittments so buses aren't for me
Quick question - do you tow anything or intend to in the future? What is not very clear is that whether you retain this with the grandfather rights of having taken your test prior to 1 Jan 1997. I am aware of a person who took their test in Feb of 97 and wasn't licenced to tow a caravan/trailer and had been doing so for several years!

Quick question - do you tow anything or intend to in the future? What is not very clear is that whether you retain this with the grandfather rights of having taken your test prior to 1 Jan 1997. I am aware of a person who took their test in Feb of 97 and wasn't licenced to tow a caravan/trailer and had been doing so for several years!
AFAICT (but this is just the understanding of 'a bloke down the pub' and should be checked) you lose your entitlement to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes but retain entitlement to all your current categories below that weight, including the "E" trailer category* and the combination may have a mass over 3.5 tonnes (e.g. a motorhome with MAM of 3.5 tonnes with a trailer provided the total mass does not exceed the MTW for the motorhome).

*Combination of vehicles which the drawing vehicle is in categories B, C or D but which are not themselves in that category or categories.

AFAICT (but this is just the understanding of 'a bloke down the pub' and should be checked) you lose your entitlement to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes but retain entitlement to all your current categories below that weight, including the "E" trailer category* and the combination may have a mass over 3.5 tonnes (e.g. a motorhome with MAM of 3.5 tonnes with a trailer provided the total mass does not exceed the MTW for the motorhome).

*Combination of vehicles which the drawing vehicle is in categories B, C or D but which are not themselves in that category or categories.
I agree with the bloke down the pub. You keep your BE entitlement after 70. If not there would be a lot of very unhappy older caravan owners. Whether this is sensible is another matter, the car and caravan combination can be way over the 3500kg we are allowed but without taking a proper medical. I reckon an over 3500kg motorhome is a far safer thing to drive than a car and caravan, where the tail can end up wagging the dog.

I retained the right to tow a trailer of any size which surprised me, I thought that I would have to stop towing my car 200.gif
GOV.COM said:
Category BE
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg [\QUOTE]

I retained the right to tow a trailer of any size which surprised me, I thought that I would have to stop towing my car View attachment 59948
Slight word of caution; there is the proviso in the Construction and Use regs that you can't exceed the MTPLM of the trailer or the MTW for your van!
Ironically, if you can find a 3.5 tonne towing vehicle with a large enough MTW (and passed your test before Jan 1997), you can legally have a heavier combination than you can under C1E. This is how some get away with a 3.5 tonne pickup towing a 5 tonne fifth wheeler, a combination that is 250kg over the C1E limit!

That isn't neccessarily the case. The endorsement to apparently allow towing can be quite misleading and you don't actually need the "E" towing endorsement on your license to tow a caravan or trailer as long as it (or your car) is not too large.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:
  • drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
There are loads of suitable Car + Caravan combinations that come in at a total combined weight under 3,500Kg.

Slight word of caution; there is the proviso in the Construction and Use regs that you can't exceed the MTPLM of the trailer or the MTW for your van!
Ironically, if you can find a 3.5 tonne towing vehicle with a large enough MTW (and passed your test before Jan 1997), you can legally have a heavier combination than you can under C1E. This is how some get away with a 3.5 tonne pickup towing a 5 tonne fifth wheeler, a combination that is 250kg over the C1E limit!
Thanks, I am aware of that but it is still worth mentioning, my GTM is 5200 which leaves me with 1700 for a trailer,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back