DVLA and oldie renewing license

Age 70 I had a medical at my GP’s with the intention of keeping my C1 license. The doctor found I had a heart murmur so she was obligated to inform DVLA. They decided to review my case and after a rather worrying time the gave me a 3 year license but no C1. 4 years down the line I’ve just had remedial heart surgery so all is well.
There were 2 sections of the form that the DVLA were concerned about.

1. Sleep Apnea - which I reported to them in 2010 and is treated with a CPAP machine.
2. Atrial Fibrillation - which was diagnosed 2 years ago and it has been controlled ever since by medication.

All of this info was on the form and readable but it has fallen into the black hole that is the "tick box" syndrome!
I shall just keep on waiting..........

For those worried about just the cost of the D4 and not the overall stress.
You should also bear in mind that your vehicle over 3500 whilst needing your C1 this actually reduces your vehicle tax annually currently £165 p.a. Could be cheaper having your C1 on your licence

There were 2 sections of the form that the DVLA were concerned about.

1. Sleep Apnea - which I reported to them in 2010 and is treated with a CPAP machine.
I renewed my C1 earlier this year having had sleep apnoea since 2002. My GP included details of my current CPAP performance, which I printed out for him using SleepyHead software. My C1 was approved within a few weeks (before the DVLA strike) without the DVLA asking for further health info. I think it may have helped that my GP could submit current Sleep Apnoea details on my original D4, having details of my current very low rate of apnoeas rather than my higher original diagnoses.

I have been using SleepyHead software for years to keep track of my CPAP performance. I remove the data card from my CPAP, lock it to make sure the data does not get corrupted and then copy the data to SleepyHead on my computer. It is reassuring to know that my current level of Apnoeas using the machine is normal. Remember to unlock the data card before putting it back in the CPAP.

It looks like SleepyHead has now been replaced by OSCAR software, I have not tried it yet but will do so later today.

The GTM was 5200 when the revenue weight was 3400, I uprated up to 3700 years ago but the GTM stayed at 5200 so effectively I couldn't tow a trailer as heavy (if I was fully loaded of course), I have just downrated to 3500 as you say but the GTM stays the same at 5200.
So obviously (well, it is now) the GTM stays the same with any revenue weight change.

.... FWIW, I too have an Autotrail (2001 Scout). Out of the factory and as originally plated, it had 3,850 kg MAM and 5,500 kg GTM. When a previous owner downrated it to 3,500 kg, it stayed at 5,500 kg GTM and SVTech restored the original factory ratings (copy of the rating plate, with VIN and certificate No. redacted, attached.)

View attachment 59956

As mentioned in a previous post, my VIN showed 3500 & 6000 for GVM and GTM and I had no Autotrail plate showing different weights.
The specification for 2008 Motorhomes showed the Cheyenne weights as 3500 and 4750, so I thought the plate was just missing and I had an uprate carried out to 3850 and 5100 respectively.

This thread and the posts quoted above made me wonder if my numbers were correct and I contacted Autotrail again on Saturday with a more specific question and they came back with more info (the initial fault was my own as I had previously just asked them to confirm the information for a 2008 Cheyenne Motorhome, but when I thought about it, my Cheyenne is a 2007 Model, not 2008 - it was just registered in 2008 (before the new model year builds)).
They replied yesterday to say "We can confirm that the vehicle is of a 2007 season manufacture with a maximum gross vehicle weight of 3500kgs and a maximum Gross Train Weight of 6000kgs as per the Vin plate attached to your vehicle."

With that new info, asked SvTech to do a revised Plate, which they did this morning...
1625128406631.png
So can go back to towing over 2 tonnes!
Not that I actually want to tow 2t or anything close, but the 1250kg towing limit could actually be very tight should I ever want to get a 'toed'.
I am still curious what happened between 2007 and 2008 model years for Autotrail to lower the GTW from 6000 to 4750 on the Fiat light Chassis. It is a significant difference.

And BTW, also a thumbs up to both SvTech and Autotrail for their responsiveness to enquiries (y)

I renewed my C1 earlier this year having had sleep apnoea since 2002. My GP included details of my current CPAP performance, which I printed out for him using SleepyHead software. My C1 was approved within a few weeks (before the DVLA strike) without the DVLA asking for further health info. I think it may have helped that my GP could submit current Sleep Apnoea details on my original D4, having details of my current very low rate of apnoeas rather than my higher original diagnoses.

I have been using SleepyHead software for years to keep track of my CPAP performance. I remove the data card from my CPAP, lock it to make sure the data does not get corrupted and then copy the data to SleepyHead on my computer. It is reassuring to know that my current level of Apnoeas using the machine is normal. Remember to unlock the data card before putting it back in the CPAP.

It looks like SleepyHead has now been replaced by OSCAR software, I have not tried it yet but will do so later today.
My ResMed CPAP machine is WiFi and updates daily to MySleep on the ResMed site. I can print off a daily report, weekly, monthly, annual etc. I did this and handed to my GP who took the readings and recorded them on the form in the area for Sleep Disorders. My AHI is shown as being less than 15 - Mild. DVLA were happy with this but submitted my application to their Medical Dept because of the Atrial Fib that the GP entered onto the form - and I'm still waiting!

We are still waiting for Dave's licence back. Revoked in May 22 for twelve months although consultant felt six months would be best if remained ok. He did, and although consultant wrote fit to drive, DVLA medics said different. Been waiting since end March for latest decision and section 88 doesnt apply so now not driven for fourteen months. Mad situation, think section 88 should apply to medical revoked licences also if the DVLA can't get their act together!
Did the email to transport Secretary suggested here or WC, ...not even acknowledged!

My ResMed CPAP machine is WiFi and updates daily to MySleep on the ResMed site. I can print off a daily report, weekly, monthly, annual etc. I did this and handed to my GP who took the readings and recorded them on the form in the area for Sleep Disorders. My AHI is shown as being less than 15 - Mild. DVLA were happy with this but submitted my application to their Medical Dept because of the Atrial Fib that the GP entered onto the form - and I'm still waiting!
The surgery has now informed me that the DVLA wanted further info regarding a possible TIA that I had in 2006! My GP put on the D4 that it was "Coded but not confirmed" Seeing as how there were no tests taken to confirm or deny and there had not been any form or recurrence in the past 15 years they reported that there was nothing on my records! Still waiting..........

While I couldn't find anything on gov.uk about this, there is lots in the press. Has anyone got a link to an actual DVLA or Government notice that the requirement for a D4 has been suspended? I ask because both Jan and I will need to renew our C1 within the next 12 months or so.
The concession has stopped, my renewal pack was posted to me six weeks before expiry ( July 4th ).
Medical done and returned to DVLA still waiting.

I don’t think there was ever a D4 concession for C1 drivers using grandfather rights, it was only for truck drivers. The concession for us C1 drivers was a short extension but this stopped on 31/12/20 when it went back to normal rules.

The concession has stopped, my renewal pack was posted to me six weeks before expiry ( July 4th ).
Medical done and returned to DVLA still waiting.
Here's hoping you don't end up with the hassle I've had! Just been told by a friend who had his medical done by one of those agencies that DVLA won't issue a licence to him until he either has one by his GP or DVLA assign a Dr. Apparently this is at DVLA's expense - no wonder Road Tax is forever going up! Oh, and I'm still waiting.........

70 in August so we downsized last year and bought a Superlight Carthago. You have to be carful with the weight but we managed. Surprising what crap you carry round with you that you never actually need. SWMBO is happier with the smaller size and we don't hit so many bushes as it's narrower as well.

Yeh! Finally got Dave's driving license back! Sent off early March for May. So fifteen months without driving, no wonder he has lost confidence.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum
Trying to renew licence I wanted to ask the over 70s if you had to have a medical to keep your Grandfather rights? My van Leo is only 3.4 so I don't think I need the C1; it's more a case of not wanting to let it go.
Any help gratefully received. Thanks

I have applied for my second over 70s renewal the medical was pretty stringent but if your not in good heath then should you have a C1.
By the way my request and medical were submitted three months ago and still awaiting it's return apparently they are on and of strike
Good fun
Pete

Some people may find this link useful, it gives the dates that the DVLA are currently processing various types of application. Presumably it is the date received by them because they won’t know anything more until they start work on the application. The page seems to get updated weekly and at the time of writing this it looks like an update is due. Over 70 C1 applications are showing 4 June 21 and first time registration of new vehicles 29 June 21.

many thanks to Okta thats very helpful they appear to bedewing with mine this week
Regards
Pete

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back