DVLA reclassification

Tax class never changes on a reclassification. So a "Motor Caravan" that started life as a car (e.g. VW T5 Shuttle) remains taxed just as before, i.e. as a car with the emissions being used to put in into the right 'slot'; and a "Motor Caravan" that started life as a van (e.g. VW T5 Panel Van remains taxed as a van. Very few Motor Caravan CONVERSIONS would ever have started life as a car though.
(Many people refer to N1/M1/M1SP as the tax categories but that is something subtlely different)

To answer your question specifically - A "Van/Side Windows" is a PLG Commercial Vehicle if under 3.5t GVW (around £260 pa I think?) and a "Van/Side Windows" is an HGV Vehicle if over 3.5t GVW (£165 pa)

So what happens in my case? My 5.5tonne conversion is presently Body Type- Minibus
Taxation Class -Disabled Passenger Vehicle

It’s quite easy a California has a lift up roof a Caravelle has not. ...unless it’s been converted to a camper there is a large number of Caravelle,s on the road just now more than ever before although expensive it’s an ideal vehicle for family's that have bikes etc and like activity holidays.

Alf
Yes I do know that but to the average plod they do look the same and where do they go with a California Beach!!!! No kitchen unit but sleeps 4 adults!
This whole "the police have to be able to identify... "thing is a total nonsense anyway. It means nothing and is contrary to what the police actually would want to be able to do you would think. If a vehicle is being USED as a Campervan, then surely it is better to have it registered as a Campervan (Motor Caravan) than as a "Van/Side Windows" anyway. But we digress.

An insurance price comparision website will never provide a proper price for any Campervan that did not start life out as a Registered Motor Caravan no matter what the V5C says as they don't use that data to pick up Body Types, so if that is the way you are comparing between the two, you will never get a real picture TBH.
No I do realise that and haven't used it to get prices for my conversion - only used it for California comparisons. AIB have always provided me with lowest cost including for what I have. I did get a comparison from them and it was much cheaper even though the van was some £15k more money!

So what happens in my case? My 5.5tonne conversion is presently Body Type- Minibus
Taxation Class -Disabled Passenger Vehicle
I'm guessing the tax rate for yours is zero at the moment, the taxation class I guess will have to change. But no way can it suddenly become a goods vehicle. Please let us know what happens.

Mark

To answer your question specifically - A "Van/Side Windows" is a PLG Commercial Vehicle if under 3.5t GVW (around £260 pa I think?) and a "Van/Side Windows" is an HGV Vehicle if over 3.5t GVW (£165 pa)

PLG Commercial Vehicle - isn't that an oxymoron?

I've kept my 7.5t horsebox conversion as an hgv,I've not bothered reclassifying it as I couldn't really see any advantage. I've changed as little as possible on the exterior to keep it looking like a horsebox as much as possible. Last year when I put it through its mot I was a bit concerned that the DVSA inspectors might throw a spanner in the works but they didn't seem to care that I'd changed its use and just tested it as a commercial horsebox.

I've kept my 7.5t horsebox conversion as an hgv,I've not bothered reclassifying it as I couldn't really see any advantage. I've changed as little as possible on the exterior to keep it looking like a horsebox as much as possible. Last year when I put it through its mot I was a bit concerned that the DVSA inspectors might throw a spanner in the works but they didn't seem to care that I'd changed its use and just tested it as a commercial horsebox.
There is a tricky situation when converting heavy minibuses and coaches though. They can have MOTs or PCVs, but as soon as they lose their seats, getting a test as a Passenger Vehicle can be tricky. And because they don't have an HGV plate, you can't get a VOSA test on them, so they fall in the crack in the middle unless they get tested as a Motor Caravan.
If the rules that seem to be apparent at MOT stations in Northern Ireland made their way to the rest of the UK, plus DVLA refuse to reclassify to a Motor Caravan and change it to a "Van/Windows" instead, that really could be a awkward situation :(

Don't MoT testers test what they see so if it's got beds and sinks etc it's a motorhome class 4 rather than 7.
I know that my 4T Bessacarr on 4.6m wheelbase is a tight fit on my regular MoT lift and the axle jack couldn't lift the rear clear this year!
What about over 7.5T?

Don't MoT testers test what they see so if it's got beds and sinks etc it's a motorhome class 4 rather than 7.
I know that my 4T Bessacarr on 4.6m wheelbase is a tight fit on my regular MoT lift and the axle jack couldn't lift the rear clear this year!
What about over 7.5T?
They do - except apparently in Northern Ireland according to Trev Skoda.

They go by whats in log book here and have a link to wales pc info.

They do - except apparently in Northern Ireland according to Trev Skoda.
Did mine last week and tester said let me look at log book,i ask whats wrong and he said some vh are class 4 from june,he went of into office and came back saying it will be tested as in log book <motorcaravan>.
Mot here is very pro and having a cousin of wife down devon and i have seen your mot setup and truth is it smacks of back street and back handers,it will never go that way here because of it would do same here as the boys would be in on it ,wink wink.

Attachments

• mot a.png
    mot a.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 7
What decides if a hgv gets hgv test is if it has a HGV plate (VTG6) , if it hasn't it cant be tested as an HGV .

I was told whilst in the Netherlands by some Irish folk that the MOT Testing stations have CCTV in watching the testing being done!

That would frighten the life out of my tester.😀
I'd say that he doesn't miss anything that's safety related but doesn't spend a lot of time checking the condition of wiper blades etc
To be fair to him, modern cars just don't rot away like they used to - do you remember them prodding and hammering everywhere?
If you've been testing cars for 20 years you do get to know the weak points on particular models.

I was told whilst in the Netherlands by some Irish folk that the MOT Testing stations have CCTV in watching the testing being done!
FWIW, a couple of testing stations near me have CCTV with monitors in the waiting area, but I thought that was more to do with a customer's right to witness the test than for VOSA QA.

FWIW, a couple of testing stations near me have CCTV with monitors in the waiting area, but I thought that was more to do with a customer's right to witness the test than for VOSA QA.
It is getting more and more common for garages (main dealers mostly) to record the time the vehicle is in the service bay and send the owner a link so they can watch what was done.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is/will be done with MOTs. I think it is standard (a requirement likely?) to provide a viewing area for the owner to watch his MOT being carried out. At one station I tended to do this, not as I didn't trust them, but it gave me the chance to have a good look underneath the vehicle while on the lift.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back