Elddis Motorhomes

It is strange that some MHs suffer badly and others are totally safe...even same make and similar age etc. It reminds me of the 'Friday afternoon' cars back in the bad old days of British car manufacturing!

It is strange that some MHs suffer badly and others are totally safe...even same make and similar age etc. It reminds me of the 'Friday afternoon' cars back in the bad old days of British car manufacturing!
I fear history is repeating itself but now with motorhomes. I think the old car makers only survived as long as they did through brand/UK loyalty, which did them no favours. I went from a Japanese car without any oil leaks to a new BL one that had several small oil leaks. After months of complaining and fruitless attempts to solve the problems I was told that I couldn’t expect an engine to be hermetically sealed from oil leaks. That cured me of the delusion that the home manufacturers would want to compete with the imported competition.

I have a 2014 Swift Carerra and it's riddled with damp. Currently in the repair shop for around £3000 worth of repairs and that's only the worst bits. Apparently the seals had mostly gone and I suppose you get that in an old van. Also the floor at the rear is being replaced beneath the fridge. I thought Swift was a good make? What would people recommend now as a newer van without wood in the walls etc?

I have a 2014 Swift Carerra and it's riddled with damp. Currently in the repair shop for around £3000 worth of repairs and that's only the worst bits. Apparently the seals had mostly gone and I suppose you get that in an old van. Also the floor at the rear is being replaced beneath the fridge. I thought Swift was a good make? What would people recommend now as a newer van without wood in the walls etc?

Wingamm are great quality, but of course quality costs!
Other than that there are some very nice panel van conversions about, such as IH and Moto-Trek.

Buy a large PVC conversion. Panel vans are much less likely to suffer from damp. We have an Autosleeper Kingham. Lots of room for the two of us.

I owned a 2015 Autoquest 115, I had one damp problem which was repaired under warranty, it was a leak at the battery box which seemed to be a common fault on elddis models of that era, I loved the layout of the vehicle, I now own an Elddis CV40 so far no issues with the van as it’s lying idle, it’s not the classiest van in the world but elddis in my opinion are value for money.

We had an 2009 AQ bought second hand as our first MH. It was cheap(ish) cheerful and never missed beat. A bit rattly maybe but I always regretted trading "up" to our present Autotrail. We has an Elddis Rambler caravan before and ha no issues with that either

I purchased my Elddis 185 2019 .
Since almost every comment /review has been critical of build quality, damp problems ...I am just beginning to doubt the wisdom of purchasing from this manufacturer...Would like to hear from any member/s who have a positive experience
I can give a positive review about our Elddis motorhome. We bought our Autoquest (Evolution) 185 new in July 2017. We are very happy with it. Covered 22000 miles so far (to October 2020). There have been only a handful of minor items at the start needing correction. We did and continue to do our research into running a retirement/holiday home on wheels. Ensuring we have a good understanding of how most all things work and ensuring we look after them with care, attention and cleanliness. Asking many sources for guidance when we don't. In my opinion, all the 'trimings', 'shiny bits' and 'the name' you see on more expensive motorhomes is for the 'image' conscious - bit like the badge model letters on the back of cars. What's under the cover is all very much the same. (oh controversy courted).

I purchased my Elddis 185 2019 .
Since almost every comment /review has been critical of build quality, damp problems ...I am just beginning to doubt the wisdom of purchasing from this manufacturer...Would like to hear from any member/s who have a positive experience
We bought our new 185 in 2019 as well. We have had no real issues from it. We have had the rear view camera changed under warranty and had the awning fixing corrected after the recall. Other than that it's been brilliant, and it would cost a lot more money to improve on it. Stay with it, unless you've bought a lemon. Cheers.

We bought our new 185 in 2019 as well. We have had no real issues from it. We have had the rear view camera changed under warranty and had the awning fixing corrected after the recall. Other than that it's been brilliant, and it would cost a lot more money to improve on it. Stay with it, unless you've bought a lemon. Cheers.
Thank's. Great to hear you have had little problems,we also required camera replacing, still to get awning recall done in June ...,what exactly does that entail?
Wes

Having owned 5 Hymers over 17 years, from a budget Swing model up to a top end SL Star, and back down to a light weight Exsis
I can say that the body build is second to none, very rare to get a leak.
The interiors have gone down hill, most probably because of weight restrictions and owners wanting more and more goodies. No real wood any more!
Some older models could have a little floor damp, behind the rear axle, never had any damp myself in any of the 5 owned.
I would still recommend buying German, or anywhere over the water.
We always consider continental vans are made for off grid or aire use, and UK vans are for campsite hopping
Obviously there are exceptions
Good point, thanks

I have an Elddis Autoquest 140se bought new in 2013. Only ever had one problem with it since purchase and that was the mounting for the electric step. I removed the bike rack which had a box on it, as it was suspected water ingress as the damp meter showed 20% at the bottom rear corner. I was advised that water may have got in via the light cluster, but I think it was the mounting for the bike rack with the box pulling on the back panel when driving along and the fact it was the incorrect bike rack fitted. Over the past two years since there has been no increase to the damp meter or any further issues at this time. All in all we are very happy with the van. Would have had the version with dinette if it would have fitted in garden.
Just when you thought it was safe to resume motorhoming. Had a habitation check done last week. Fridge dfailed to work on gas, managed to fix that eventually by giving it a good cleaning and blow of air. Electric toilet flush stopped working changed pcb at switch/button and also the solenoid, still not working. There is no fuse at the rear of cassette just a Reed pcb which I believe is for the level sensor?
Worse of all I am now told I have water ingress just behind both rear wheels, which I know is below the water tank filler which overflowed the week before the check. I wonder if that left a last damp patch. So its now booked in for an inspection and damage estimation. Tyres ar gonna have to wait that bit longer. Some hard choices to make soon. Keep of get rid. Unfortunately missed 2019/20 hab check so no warranty now

I have a 185/2020 model.
In the first year, when we used the cab heater in full mode with full fan, after 30 minutes we got a very overpowering burning smell from under the gearbox. Disappeared after turning off the fan, cooling down and three quarters heat setting. I initially thought an oil rag was left near the exhaust by a mechanic. I contacted Brownhills where I brought the motorhome from, and they say they don't deal with the warranties on Peugeot as they are a Fiat dealership (although they sell Peugeots - take note of this when buying). They have given me a dealership address to take it to. I am waiting to test the heater out once more before I take it in, as it might just be because its a new vehicle. If it catches fire, the warranty covers this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back