Engine re-mapping

Carrerasax

Anyone had this done?
With what results?
Does it affect manufacturers warranty?

Yep. I had my be T5 remapped. Makes a big difference not so much to speed or acceleration but massively on torque. This means less changing gear and go up hills is a dream. Went from 84bhp to 140bhp. Similar mph but that could be because I do accelerate quicker now. If I take it easy and on long runs it has better mpg. Cost £350. But has made driving less of a struggle.

Wow, that sounds fab.
Mines a 2016 Fiat ducato. 2.3 130bhp I think.
Must admit struggles at anything like a hill in 6th even at cruising speed.
I read somewhere the other day “any modification over 30%+”?
Might have to investigate!

Remaps work, little plug in boxes that fool the ecu do not!

Just use someone who has been around a while :)

I’ve done mine, 2.3 Fiat 130 and 3.5tonne and had a remap locally to 160

Significantly better pickup, more leisurely cruising, up hills in 6th no worry. Fuel consumption is marginally better and proven as I log all my fuel bills and useage. But it’s the driveability that is loads better, the slight fuel saving is a slight bonus.

If van is still under warranty,yes it will affect that .Best to wait till out of warranty.
Your insurance company may or may not increase your premium,depends on the company.
Mine didn't increase premium but you should tell them anyway.

Not done this myself but I understand your insurance company should be told and no doubt they will increase your premium.
I read on the internet that some insurance companies will not insure remaps and chips at all. No personal knowledge of it but on the basis that they say you must inform them of all modifications it might be wise to check with them first.

My mate had his 2006 Fiat Ducato chipped Not long after buying it new

He uses cruise control a lot

And has just had his second new clutch

So now on the third and probably only at 50k miles

I suspect that little extra ooph allowed him to leave cruise control on with out changing down on hill and cause clutch to slip

My mate had his 2006 Fiat Ducato chipped Not long after buying it new

He uses cruise control a lot

And has just had his second new clutch

So now on the third and probably only at 50k miles

I suspect that little extra ooph allowed him to leave cruise control on with out changing down on hill and cause clutch to slip
He is just a bad driver,thats all

I have to disagree - knowing this driver and his other vehicles

Its not his driving style but the clutch on this fiat I just suspect the engine re map contributing to the premature failure

Remaps work, little plug in boxes that fool the ecu do not!

Just use someone who has been around a while :)
Interesting ..I bought a "Tun-it plug in unit" has levels from 0-9 I chose 3 (0 is best economy)
For severel years before accurate mpg figures ranges from 25 to 29 with 26.5 being overall average
After fitting MP range from 28 to 34 with 31 being the overall figure...So it seems over a 10% improvement in mpg
But maybe I have just driven it better ? Other engine power seems better as well !

Are the new MOT rules also something to consider? My understanding is that under the new MOT rules vehicle emissions must now not exceed the manufacturers original figures. I don’t claim to know if remapping has a detrimental effect on emissions but following the VW scandal it is clear that ECU programming is part of it. Could be worth checking out before changing things?

Makes you wonder how/why the manufacturers select the engine settings the way they do - could it be to match the strength/durability of the components in the engine and drive train? :unsure:

Won't happen, the engine would just stall.
Not in all cases , clutches are not capable of just transmitting any amount of power put thru them , the clutch spec for an engine will be sufficient for the torque of the engine fitted with a margin to prevent possible incremental slip . If you change the power characteristics of the engine you will possibly remove the extra margin . That is why there is a substantial market in uprating clutches for vehicles with power increases . There is obviously the large factor of driver operation to be considered as well . Turbocharger vehicles are also more prone to slippage when "tweaked" , and any slip even if only occasional will be a factor in decreasing clutch overall longevity .

Thank you Rv2max

I have been in the camper with him whilst on cruise control and you can here it slip ,this from memory would occur on an incline no matter how small , and would prompt my mate to change down a gear which would then carry on as normal

The re map seems to have taken away the clues / feedback to the driver of the engine under load which would normally prompt a shift down and all they were getting was the sound of the clutch slip ( then he would change gear)

Don’t think he will use the cruise control now after this 2nd new clutch

Further to my previous post, I had my engine remapped because it was only the 84 bhp model. Only to be told that it is exactly the same engine etc as the 102 bhp it is just the tuning that is different. I would say definitely go for a proper remap at a proper garage. The bolt on boxes are not so good. I had mine done at Pendle performance http://www.pendleperformance.com/ because of his excellent reputation. There is no physical tell tale signs of the remap and passed the MOT with no problem. So it is up to you if you want to tell the insurance company, not sure they would ever find out. The engine does have to be in good condition as a remap will show up any issues with it. My head gasket went possibly due to the extra pressure on the engine, but it would have gone anyway. It drives much smoother now anyway. The remap just gets the best out of the engine you have and I would definitely recommend it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back