Evri / Hermes

Parcel force do not wear royal mail uniform they both have their own uniform
Not noticed recently, I'm going back to my time I didn't notice any diference then apart from Vehicle livery, so how are the different please.

this was the situation when I worked there and one reason why I left.

1672222635889.png

Parcelforce was spun off from the Royal Mail Group and privatised. They may dress the same but are independant. IIRC, the Parcelforce staff had the options of going self-employed but providing the delivery service to RMG, accepting redundancy, or applying for a job doing something else within RMG.

That charge was down to the now-private Parcelforce courier contracting to provide a service to RMG. What they would need to do is take out an insurance policy to cover costs of being unable to work I would think? If you pay someone to provide a service that you have commited to with your customers, and then have to find someone else to do that at short notice (so usually at a higher cost), you would expect the person who *should* have done it in the first place to pay the extra costs

I think this was all getting underway around 20 years ago? I remember RMG rebranded itself as 'Consignia' in 2001 I think it was and then re-rebranded as 'Royal Mail Group' in 2002 as the rebrand was a failure. I spent nearly a full year working on a new IT provision bid for RMG around that time, travelling up and down to Chesterfield most weeks and got to know a lot of the internal workings in the process.

PS. I am not saying I agree or disgree with the privatisation idea, just commenting on what happened as I recall it. I think a lot of the Parcelforce guys just wanted to drive the van (nothing wrong with that) and not have to run their own little businesses.

I was a courier before and after I worked for them, and often had to pick u the slack when they had a driver off, but I was treated like Royalty by the office staff, I had no contact with the regular drivers and I had had enough of subbing to big courier firms so basically walked into the job, got a red van and turned up for work, it was horrific out of Leeds, just total chaos this will have been around 98/99 I was shown my round by a woman who was leaving after only being there a week or tow and she was clueless, she'd bought a brand new sprinter for the job too so she lost a fortune, she had to have it wrapped in white to get rid of it. I just hired mine to see how it went, I'd been a courier for a few years so new the job inside out but I had to quit, I went back intot he courier market but it was becomeing very difficult to mae ends meet with outfits like MTvan jsut charging backload rates, so I went and worked for a local electrical wholesalers, best move I made, I got paid EVERY week, no accounts to do, no weekend work, 08:30 start and only 2 miles from home, wish I'd done it sooner.

The liability of the courier to fund a replacement driver when unable to work depends upon whether the courier is an employee [no liability] or a sub-contractor 'you don't work FOR us, you work WITH us'] and there have been a couple of Employment Tribunals that have laid down criteria to determine the courier's status

Parcelforce Worldwide has moved its universal parcel delivery obligations to Royal Mail and operates in the 24/48 hour guaranteed delivery market, which seems to explain why the postie delivers small parcels alongside the letter post ...

Steve

The liability of the courier to fund a replacement driver when unable to work depends upon whether the courier is an employee [no liability] or a sub-contractor 'you don't work FOR us, you work WITH us'] and there have been a couple of Employment Tribunals that have laid down criteria to determine the courier's status
I think the way recent cases have gone, a subbie that works near enough exclusively for one company is effectively an employee? Uber drivers I think were a big test case regarding things like sick and holiday pay?
My own knowledge of what happened at RMG/Parcelforce was 20 years ago when things like IR35 were still in force and many IT Contractors were really employees in truth but took the financial benefits of contracting (and sometimes when ill that backfired on them).

Parcelforce Worldwide has moved its universal parcel delivery obligations to Royal Mail and operates in the 24/48 hour guaranteed delivery market, which seems to explain why the postie delivers small parcels alongside the letter post ...

Steve
I have Parcelforce coming tomorrow (Thursday) to collect a Parcel with a guaranteed delivery of Friday :)

The royal mail and parcel force uniform have their own logo on them and have done for decades the self employed parcel force drivers some times just were a branded hi Vis same as agency workers

Unbelievable how many parcels this lad has to get through.

• Sad
Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back