Fuel additives

I use the BG stuff when I have got a new (to me) vehicle as you are never sure what fuel it was run on.

Never get round to doing a repeat application after some time but should do. It's good stuff. Can't remember which one off-hand (245, 244?)

I use the BG 244 when I have got a new (to me) vehicle as you are never sure what fuel it was run on.

Never get round to doing a repeat application after some time but should do. It's good stuff.
Thanks David, interesting stuff!

I’ve been using Hydra Maximus for about 6 months in our 2021 VW T6.1 110, performance wise I’m very pleased with Hydra Maximus as our van seems to accelerate a lot better and smoother I was thinking of getting a remap from 110 to 150 bhp but how things are with using this product I won’t bother.

John.

@RoamingRog

Rog - did you try this stuff in the end?

Ive been using lucas fuil additive for near a year now and find my engine runs really smooth and quiet .
Jeff

30 years now
I've always used Wurth Injector cleaner just adding a tin to a half empty tank twice a year and driving until a quarter tank before refilling. I've know cars and vans to fail the mot emmissions test to have the fuel filter replaced an when refitting to be filled with neat wurth run up to temp then pass the test. So Wurth for me every time

Well I decided to try it and am still using it, I’m not sure wether it improved mpg very much but it certainly made the engine run smoother and provided much needed poke going up hills.
I made a point of using the cheapest diesel that I could find, and true to its advertising blurb, it felt as if I was using premium fuel, so happy to keep using it, especially when towing the car up hills.

Hi Phil,
When I fill up, I note the number of litres of diesel, and then double it and add the corresponding millilitres of Hydra Maximus. ie 50 litres fuel=100ml additive
When we nip off to the foreign, we tend to use supermarket fuel, and because we don’t know the actual quality of the diesel, this ensures that we are burning reasonably good stuff.
Used it all round France, Spain and Portugal earlier this year, and the old girl never missed a beat!
Hope this helps,
Rog

Hi Phil,
When I fill up, I note the number of litres of diesel, and then double it and add the corresponding millilitres of Hydra Maximus. ie 50 litres fuel=100ml additive
When we nip off to the foreign, we tend to use supermarket fuel, and because we don’t know the actual quality of the diesel, this ensures that we are burning reasonably good stuff.
Used it all round France, Spain and Portugal earlier this year, and the old girl never missed a beat!
Hope this helps,
Rog
Thanks Rog.
That is really useful.
50 litres of fuel say £100 plus 100ml of Hydra (say £3 which is negligible)
cheaper than premium diesel at £5 a hit more and a more reliable scheme.

Looked at most of the tests about fuel engine cleaners, what i found is that most are snake oil and do nothing in lab tests, one that did seem to work is called sea foam in the USA, hydra maximus is at the bottom of any lists.diesel additives.png

Semi Synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil added to the fuel tank of my 2.8 Fiat jtd made it run smoother and seemed a little better on inclines. I don't think it would have added much to the mpg, maybe it did.

I have been using Dipetane, made in Ireland and available from Halfords at £12 per bottle. This makes my engine run smoother and quieter with a bit more Umph due to the cleaning properties! 1 bottle is good for I think 100 Litres of fuel and I even use it in my diesel heater tank! I get between 36 and 38MPG from a 2.3 Iveco Bus Camper conversion and if I don't use Dipetane this drops to about 24 to 26MPG. I've never found anything better though currently researching Hydrogen either alone or mixed with Oxygen as Browns Gas!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back