Fuel additives

I have been using Dipetane, made in Ireland and available from Halfords at £12 per bottle. This makes my engine run smoother and quieter with a bit more Umph due to the cleaning properties! 1 bottle is good for I think 100 Litres of fuel and I even use it in my diesel heater tank! I get between 36 and 38MPG from a 2.3 Iveco Bus Camper conversion and if I don't use Dipetane this drops to about 24 to 26MPG. I've never found anything better though currently researching Hydrogen either alone or mixed with Oxygen as Browns Gas!
That is an incredible difference in mpg !.
Please give a recent figure assuming you are still using it. Also how heavy is your camper please

A lot of folk put stuff in the tank and then lighten the right foot which makes them assured the stuff is working, true lab tests are the only thing thats true and correct.

£12 = 6-7 litres so not really much of a gain

Here is the first line of text on the Amazon site that sells it (copied and pasted) ...
MAXIMUM DIESEL FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER is for highly tuned diesel engines.

From that I assume a bog std engine would not get much improvement from the very small amounts added to fuel ( 1 litre to 500 litres) ......but after spending money on something we all wish to see some difference.....is it in the mind ?

The ONLY real way to get true results would be on a ( engine out ) computer controlled test facility so the engine can be put through the exact same RPM , acceleration sequences with and without the additive.

Last edited:
Aah Redex !

It does however prompt the question.
Do you really need to put in the amounts recommended.
With any of them.
Use full strength on the 1st full tank and repeat.
Then use half strength maybe for 5 or 6 full tank then full strength again for a full tank.
And so on ?

Same could apply to "super diesel" ? Eg use it every 4th or 5th fill up.

In both cases a rough and ready fuel consumption analysis would be handy. In
Of course different driving profiles would confuse the mpg values !
Super diesel is not always available so having your own super diesel additive is a good strategy.

Last edited:
Phil i put 75mls for 10 gallons of diesel or part of and i do it every fill .I think if your going to do it do it all the time i am now on to my second US gallon of Lucas addtive.

I just pour roughly one measure out the bottle in before brimming the tank. By no means exact measuring but as it’s only to help keep deposits out the engine it doesn’t seem to matter, it certainly runs well and I am now around 115k miles on it I think.

Using one of the Super/Ultra fuels may be a slightly better option but in my opinion not enough to warrant the cost difference. Back in my car club days some of the guys did extensive rolling road testing on Shell V Power. They did prove they got gains in power and/or fuel economy and the results were repeatable but they were having their engines mapped on the rolling road to do this. Downside was after remap they tried again with normal fuel and the had worse performance all round than standard. As they did a lot of track days they were happy to pay the extra and spend the time and money to find out. This was all with petrol engines

I just pour roughly one measure out the bottle in before brimming the tank. By no means exact measuring but as it’s only to help keep deposits out the engine it doesn’t seem to matter, it certainly runs well and I am now around 115k miles on it I think.

Using one of the Super/Ultra fuels may be a slightly better option but in my opinion not enough to warrant the cost difference. Back in my car club days some of the guys did extensive rolling road testing on Shell V Power. They did prove they got gains in power and/or fuel economy and the results were repeatable but they were having their engines mapped on the rolling road to do this. Downside was after remap they tried again with normal fuel and the had worse performance all round than standard. As they did a lot of track days they were happy to pay the extra and spend the time and money to find out. This was all with petrol engines
Mine works out 10p a gallon Neil unlike v power diesel which is about 12p a ltr way to expencive for me lolol

Phil i put 75mls for 10 gallons of diesel or part of and i do it every fill .I think if your going to do it do it all the time i am now on to my second US gallon of Lucas addtive.
Yes I agree to use all the time but my post was suggesting lower strength dosage.
Could you provide a link please to the product.
We have a renault 2.5dci engine and it performs well.
More interested in engine life and mpg than umph !
(As the actress said to the bishop/MP)

Fthere a video on youtube testing it a lawnmower .they ran it with out and checked the compression then with and it and 10psi more with the lucas .

My planned trip next summer is 5000 miles so 170 uk gallons but more us galls (200plus)!
A Bargain !
I ampleased with it Phil this is my second gallon .th8nk ill order an other now lolol + my engine has done 165000 miles and runs silky smooth.

Well I still quite happily put a shot of Redex in mine every 5 or 6 fill ups. Bought multi packs at Costco a couple of years ago for very little and still got a good years worth left.
Redex was lab-tested many years back and found to do nothing except empty your pocket, I found by accident that cellulose thinners cleans carbon of heating boiler swish plate and nozzel/jet very well, so now and again i put a pint in my central heating sys, not required cleaning in 5 years, just wonder would it do the same in the diesel engine injectors. :unsure:

Redex was lab-tested many years back and found to do nothing except empty your pocket, I found by accident that cellulose thinners cleans carbon of heating boiler swish plate and nozzel/jet very well, so now and again i put a pint in my central heating sys, not required cleaning in 5 years, just wonder would it do the same in the diesel engine injectors. :unsure:
Might be worth a try Trev lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back